Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

In that case, lets install ramps on the rocks at Sugar Beach and Yorkville Park. It's ridiculous that we expect people in wheelchairs to walk around them, when able bodied people can simply walk on top of them!

Also, we need an elevator at every TTC entrance!

At what point do we consider the job done when it comes to accessibility?

The job is not done until wheelchairs are able to climb up the TORONTO sign at NPS. It's unacceptable that only able bodied people are allowed to take a selfie with the sign. [/STUPID]

You're joking, but if we choose to relocate the sign somewhere where it'll be popular with people taking selfies, a person in a wheelchair should be able to get close enough to the sign to appear in a photo with it.

I know the US is further behind on Accessibility than Toronto, but I don't think it would be a non-starter there ... they'd consider it as well.
Oh, I actually meant that in exactly the opposite sense. The US is way ahead of Toronto for accessibility. The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) came into force in 1990. The US would never have new construction that was not accessible. Additionally, when I moved to Canada I was shocked at just how many businesses were not accessible. Restrooms in the basement are not something one finds in the US with any regularity. I honestly don't know what someone in a wheelchair would do in Toronto.

Napoleon, my recent experience travelling in NY state was completely the opposite. I was shocked that every hotel I went into did not even have accessible doors, i.e., no button to push for the automatic open. Elevator doors were not wide enough for wheelchairs in some instances. These were not old buildings.

Oh, I actually meant that in exactly the opposite sense. The US is way ahead of Toronto for accessibility. The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) came into force in 1990. The US would never have new construction that was not accessible. Additionally, when I moved to Canada I was shocked at just how many businesses were not accessible. Restrooms in the basement are not something one finds in the US with any regularity. I honestly don't know what someone in a wheelchair would do in Toronto.
I don't know about the law ... but simply wandering around the US, it's shockingly inaccessible. The law doesn't mean much - there is a law in the US that you can't just shoot people - but it seems like the national pastime.

They are still dealing with simple things, like the lack of wheelchair ramps at pedestrian crossings in big cities? I've seen this recently in Seattle, and also New York. They are both behind even Vancouver!

And New York City (like London, Paris, and Montreal) are way behind TTC on accessible subway stations.

The US is way behind Toronto for accessibility as far as I can see. I'm not aware of new buildings in Toronto that aren't accessible!

There should be a way of building the bridges without the massive ramps yet still ensuring they're fully accessible. One solution might be to include a device that can move wheelchairs. It's probably just a matter of finding the right engineers.

There's also little clearance for motorboats in that design. The wood beams would probably end up beaten up after a few years--dented and splintered from impacts with the edges of boats.

In the name of the downtrodden LCD, you ostensibly champion for the cause of full accessibility, but what say you of the non wheelchair bound invalids?

Is your heart so full of contempt that they are beneath your breath? They paid for the wood too, you know. They can't all go out and buy wheelchairs just for the sake of a drift around a bridge.

I always laugh when high minded social justice elitists still manage to be exclusionary because they're blinded by their own smug self-satisfaction and prejudices.

Last week:

IMG_20150716_141905.jpg
IMG_20150716_141909.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20150716_141905.jpg
    IMG_20150716_141905.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 907
  • IMG_20150716_141909.jpg
    IMG_20150716_141909.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 909
The alternate path requires people in wheelchairs to go all the way around the slip when they want to follow the lake like other people who use the bridges--a second-class solution.

Seeing as how the bridges aren't even existence yet I guess we're all second class citizens until they magically appear. OTOH, let's not build anything at all, ever again. That way we all win.

WT July Newsletter said " Work at the Merchants' Wharf/Queens Quay intersection is slated to be complete by the end of July, at which point the sidewalk and Martin Goodman Trail will be clear. Line painting for the Martin Goodman Trail between Lower Jarvis and Parliament is scheduled to begin as soon as that intersection is clear."

They were laying asphalt today at Merchants' Wharf and, once they tidy up the small section at Parliament/Queens Quay/Lake Shore (where there are still Jersey barriers for some unknown reason, it should all finally be open.

Back