Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Beautiful bridge, but what about handicapped accessibility? In the US this would be a non-starter. I'm often shocked at how inaccessible Toronto is.

Beautiful bridge, but what about handicapped accessibility? In the US this would be a non-starter. I'm often shocked at how inaccessible Toronto is.

In this instance does it make sense for the bridge(s) to be accessible? As it stands the boardwalk and the waterfront at large will be. Also, designing them to accessibility standards will probably have to incorporate so many ramps as to make the entire thing extremely unwieldy/infeasible.

AoD

Last edited:

In this instance does it make sense for the bridge(s) to be accessible? As it stands the boardwalk and the waterfront at large will be.

AoD

Agreed. Not like it would be the only route or option. It's like complaining that a flight of stairs is inaccessible when there's a ramp a few feet away.

I don't know this area very well. Just more of an observation

To be fair, it won't be exactly the same since the route along the lake - the boardwalk wouldn't be entirely accessible (though it can still be used except for the bridges). The alternative of designing a fully accessible edge will probably wreck the ambience and immediacy for that part of the waterfront. It's like trying to make the design of the wavedecks completely accessible at every spot - it defeats the whole idea.

AoD

Agreed. Not like it would be the only route or option. It's like complaining that a flight of stairs is inaccessible when there's a ramp a few feet away.

But there would be no ramp a few feet away. Pedestrians would be able to walk up the bridge. People in wheelchairs would have to go all the way around the slip--a decidedly second-class experience of the waterfront.

But there would be no ramp a few feet away. Pedestrians would be able to walk up the bridge. People in wheelchairs would have to go all the way around the slip--a decidedly second-class experience of the waterfront.

Or you can design bridges/boardwalk with multiple ramps and create a second-class experience for everyone (or sink the whole project and in essence doing exactly the same). I am not sure why the latter constitute a better outcome for all involved.

AoD

There should be a way of building the bridges without the massive ramps yet still ensuring they're fully accessible. One solution might be to include a device that can move wheelchairs. It's probably just a matter of finding the right engineers.

There's also little clearance for motorboats in that design. The wood beams would probably end up beaten up after a few years--dented and splintered from impacts with the edges of boats.

There should be a way of building the bridges without the massive ramps yet still ensuring they're fully accessible. One solution might be to include a device that can move wheelchairs. It's probably just a matter of finding the right engineers.

Lift devices in a harsh exposed environment like a bridge by the lake that will in all likelihood break down every 5 days? I am not sure if that constitute a particularly accessible solution.

There's also little clearance for motorboats in that design. The wood beams would probably end up beaten up after a few years--dented and splintered from impacts with the edges of boats.

You can easily get around that by putting buoys in to restrict the path of the boats.

AoD

Lift devices in a harsh exposed environment like a bridge by the lake that will in all likelihood break down every 5 days? I am not sure if that constitute a particularly accessible solution.

I'm confident there's an engineering solution. It may be more expensive, but it's possible to achieve the just result of a waterfront accessible to all.

You can easily get around that by putting buoys in to restrict the path of the boats.

AoD

I think some would still hit the top with accessories like sun screens and antennas causing visible but non-structural damage.

I'm confident there's an engineering solution. It may be more expensive, but it's possible to achieve the just result of a waterfront accessible to all.

I think some would still hit the top with accessories like sun screens and antennas causing visible but non-structural damage.

If you go check out the Waterfront Toronto webpage, you will see that these engineering issues have already been worked out. Some bridges are going to be fully accessible, while some cannot due to the slope required. (Private property on either end of the bridge, plus the need to maintain access for boats, as well as proper pedestrian access to the bridge requires height)

In terms of restricting the path of boats, two of the bridges will be lift bridges, and the one near the marine unit will have extra clearance to allow police boats to easily exit and enter the marina.

That's good to know. However, they should all be fully accessible. There should be no second-class solutions for new builds. People in wheelchairs should have the same experiences as anyone in terms of accessing new buildings and public spaces.

I know the US is further behind on Accessibility than Toronto, but I don't think it would be a non-starter there ... they'd consider it as well.

Though why one needs an accessibility here, when there's another path I don't know.

In that case, lets install ramps on the rocks at Sugar Beach and Yorkville Park. It's ridiculous that we expect people in wheelchairs to walk around them, when able bodied people can simply walk on top of them!

Also, we need an elevator at every TTC entrance!

At what point do we consider the job done when it comes to accessibility?

Last edited:
I know the US is further behind on Accessibility than Toronto, but I don't think it would be a non-starter there ... they'd consider it as well.

Though why one needs an accessibility here, when there's another path I don't know.

The alternate path requires people in wheelchairs to go all the way around the slip when they want to follow the lake like other people who use the bridges--a second-class solution.

Back