Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Seeing as how the bridges aren't even existence yet I guess we're all second class citizens until they magically appear. OTOH, let's not build anything at all, ever again. That way we all win.

We should build the bridges the right way by ensuring they're accessible from the beginning. We shouldn't let a second-rate solution be built. The support here for the bridges suggests that they're a much-desired feature, which reinforces the need to make them accessible.

We should build the bridges the right way by ensuring they're accessible from the beginning. We shouldn't let a second-rate solution be built. The support here for the bridges suggests that they're a much-desired feature, which reinforces the need to make them accessible.

I think the reason that people are willing to forgo accessibility in this case is that the bridges would have no practical transportation function. The more direct route to get anywhere would still be Queens Quay Boulevard even if these bridges are built. In this respect they are akin to the Wavedecks, which are not accessible either as they exist purely for people to look at, stand on and wander over.

I see their practical value as being able to easily walk to other sides of the slips without having to walk back to Queens Quay and go around the water. It's a way of stitching together the public spaces between the slips, and I'd like to see everyone enjoy that improvement.

Some pics from this morning:

upload_2015-7-25_16-6-26.jpeg

upload_2015-7-25_15-59-10.jpeg

upload_2015-7-25_15-59-18.jpeg

upload_2015-7-25_16-0-27.jpeg

upload_2015-7-25_16-0-37.jpeg

upload_2015-7-25_16-0-44.jpeg

I think the stretch is missing some high quality public art and retail opportunities - as well as good lighting scheme at night. But from the sheer popularity of the QQ, I think the redo can be considered to be an unqualified success.

AoD

Attachments

• upload_2015-7-25_15-59-10.jpeg
    upload_2015-7-25_15-59-10.jpeg
    264.7 KB · Views: 378
  • upload_2015-7-25_15-59-18.jpeg
    upload_2015-7-25_15-59-18.jpeg
    259 KB · Views: 380
  • upload_2015-7-25_16-0-27.jpeg
    upload_2015-7-25_16-0-27.jpeg
    268.3 KB · Views: 381
  • upload_2015-7-25_16-0-37.jpeg
    upload_2015-7-25_16-0-37.jpeg
    304.2 KB · Views: 357
  • upload_2015-7-25_16-0-44.jpeg
    upload_2015-7-25_16-0-44.jpeg
    287.4 KB · Views: 366
  • upload_2015-7-25_16-6-26.jpeg
    upload_2015-7-25_16-6-26.jpeg
    232.3 KB · Views: 368
LOL ... about time. As a pedestrian, I'm far more fearful of being hit by a bicycle rather than a car, based on the number of close-calls I've had downtown.

Not sure why cyclists think they are beyond the rules. They are almost as bad as those dog owners who think the leash laws and no-dog prohibitions don't apply to them.

Many of us who cycle do stop at red lights and don't speed on busy trails. When I'm on QQ, it's pretty common for just about everyone to stop at the lights while one jackass rides on through. I generally call out the red light runners because they give the rest of us a bad name. (And I walk dogs on leash all the time outside of off leash parks).

They'll be fine. I think you tried too hard on that one.

How dismissive and unaccomodating of you. "They'll be fine?" I hope you remember those words when you're barfing up your next blogTO piece detailing the passive aggressive stink eye you gave to the teen on the subway who didn't give up his seat for grandma solely because you deemed his degenerative discs as not crippling him enough for your tastes since he wasn't doing enough Hollywood for a wheelchair.

Many of us who cycle do stop at red lights and don't speed on busy trails.
It's all subjective though isn't it. If no one in sight, I'm not particularly bothered by bikes running red lights, or even on sidewalks.

It's the ones that do so, and then scream blue murder at pedestrians crossing on green in front of them, or daring to walk along the sidewalk they are trying to cycle on!

It's the ones that do so, and then scream blue murder at pedestrians crossing on green in front of them, or daring to walk along the sidewalk they are trying to cycle on!

I get an overwhelming urge to jam something in the wheels of bell ringing cyclists passing me on the sidewalk when the street has a bike lane. Also, this is why I don't believe in legal open or concealed carry.

Back