News   Apr 19, 2024
 948     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 673     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.1K     3 

Toronto Police Service Reformation

I'm reading these articles on TPS chief Sanders meeting with the Somali and African-Canadian communities, https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...ity-seeks-answers-after-boy-16-shot-dead.html but I'm always left asking myself, why is the chief meeting only with the women? These at risk kids have fathers too.

It sounds like there is a semi-formal community organisation of women which has apparently been around for many years. It was the leadership of that group which requested and the meetings and their members all attended.

For four years, the group of mothers has been meeting every Saturday morning to discuss ways to combat gun violence within their communities, break down walls with police and brainstorm ways to overcome difficulties they face as Black, Muslim and immigrant mothers, group members said.

It sounds like there is a semi-formal community organisation of women which has apparently been around for many years. It was the leadership of that group which requested and the meetings and their members all attended.
Maybe they could have (or to be fair did, without success) invited the fathers.

I wonder if we're arguing about the weather (which we cant control). There has & always will be demand for drugs, prostitution etc by the general population. A certain demographic will organize to satisfy this need and hopefully monopolize it it: Irish, Italian, Jewish, white Hell's angels, now Blacks. Because the business is illegal they have no recourse to courts & police when their business is infringed, so violence settles it. Our goal is to manage collateral damage with aggressive policing.

My impression is that people are not shooting each other over "business" territorial or transnational disputes. I'd even suggest that no established criminal organizations are involved. The shootings seem much more whimsical and random, or perhaps sparked by a small show of disrespect, sometimes in some social media post or wannabe rap song. This is much different than conflicts between truly organized criminal groups. Let's keep in mind that a loosely related group of like minded individuals is not akin to a true organized criminal family.

True, much of this lacks the surgical precision of organized crime where you try and employ violence efficiently to minimize police and public scrutiny. Shooting up BBQs and playgrounds doesn't fit the mold. And the kids seem younger, less formed. Ultimately everything is about access to women, some of them are clearly impressed with bad boyz personae rather than the working stiff.

That’s starting to approach the silliness of incel mythology and misogyny. Women aren’t something you get to “access”.

Kids turn to violence and gangs for as many reasons as there are kids turning to violence and gangs. Every kid is different.

Interesting theory, that every kid is different; that there are (billions?) of reasons for joining gangs.
Almost everything a young man does - sport, wardrobe, wheels, cash, status, displays of virility, looking alpha, studying is for access to women. Perhaps you can't remember your teens & 20s. It's a distant but clear memory for me. The evolutionary imperative.
Confused by your claim that "women aren't something (sic) you get to "access"? Many men would disagree, others would sadly agree.

Last edited:
Always have been suspicious of the police union ( especially with the McCormacks), and their undue influence on police politics.

Toronto police union calls allegations it mishandled millions of dollars 'misinformation'
TPA sold its HQ for $7.4M. It was flipped a year later for $11.5M, records show
John Lancaster · CBC News · Posted: Jan 07, 2020 4:00 AM ET | Last Updated: 39 minutes ago

Here's a short timeline of the sale and the fallout:
  • 2011 — TPA starts considering selling the North York properties.
  • May 2013 — TPA President Mike McCormack says an estimated $5 million needed to bring properties up to standard.
  • June 2014 — TPA sells property to Toronto developer for $7.4 million.
  • August 2015 — Developer sells property to B.C.-based charity for $11.5 million.
  • 2019 — Toronto police officers questioning the sale begin calling for a forensic audit.
  • December 2019 — TPA issues memo to members calling rumours of financial issues within the association "misinformation."

Toronto police chief unaware officers have been using controversial facial recognition software for months...

Toronto police said Thursday several of its officers were using a facial recognition software that has been under scrutiny due to privacy concerns.The use of the software, without the police chief’s knowledge, had gone on for months.

Toronto Police Service spokesperson Meaghan Gray said in an email to CP24 that some officers began “informally testing” Clearview AI in October last year before Chief Mark Saunders ordered it to stop.

“The Chief directed that its use be halted immediately upon his awareness, and the order to cease using the product was given on February 5, 2020,” Gray said.

It is not immediately known how and when Saunders became aware of the testing.

According to its website, Clearview AI offers law enforcement a tool to search a trove of public images that it has collected from the internet to help with investigations.

The company, which was founded in 2017 by Richard Schwartz and Hoan Ton-That, became a subject of a New York Times report last month, revealing that more than 600 law enforcement agencies, as well as a handful of companies, have been using Clearview.

“The tool could identify activists at a protest or an attractive stranger on the subway, revealing not just their names but where they lived, what they did and whom they knew,” the Times reported.

https://www.cp24.com/news/toronto-p...ial-recognition-software-for-months-1.4811400

Backgrounder on Clearview:

And how did Saunders not know? He is becoming increasingly useless.

AoD

Of course Saunders knew. Police are like a cult. They protect each other.

If the TPS is like just about every other government agency or private corporation, adding software to a network requires levels of approval to ensure security and compatibility, even if stand-alone (and I can't see technology like this being stand-alone since it would only be able to build it's own database). I envision a member/staffer or two getting a 'consideration' from the company for using it.

Edit: Perhaps the executive in charge or corporate services approved it. Even with management approval, not everything goes to Chief level, although one would think a senior executive should have foreseen the implications. It would interesting to know if there was a software licence; although I am admittedly unclear on the whole software licencing world.

Last edited:
Edit: Perhaps the executive in charge or corporate services approved it. Even with management approval, not everything goes to Chief level, although one would think a senior executive should have foreseen the implications. It would interesting to know if there was a software licence; although I am admittedly unclear on the whole software licencing world.

Keyphrase bolded - it's his job to foresee. Did he learn anything from the controveries around privacy issues around various new techs?

AoD

Keyphrase bolded - it's his job to foresee. Did he learn anything from the controveries around privacy issues around various new techs?

AoD

The 'senior executive' I was referring to is the CAO in charge of Corporate Support Command, who I am assuming manages software, data systems, etc. Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the Chief and have no idea who might have approved the software. He's the boss and ultimately wears it, but in a ~$1B/~8,000 people organization, not every decision crosses his desk or even reaches executive committee. Maybe it should have if it didn't, but driving everything to the top is the germ of a risk-adverse bureaucracy. Unless the member(s) that were using it were freelancing, perhaps who did approve actually it should fall on their sword.

It‘s his job to know - especially for things that he wasn’t told. That’s why he is in an oversight position, no?

AoD

I'm in charge of four guys at work...you really think I know exactly what all of them are doing at all times?

Oh....and when I do try to know I get told to bugger off and stop micromanaging! ?

Last edited:

Back