Toronto PJ Condos | 156.96m | 48s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini

On a serious tone, there's opportunity to the south by reorganizing the 1990s dysfunctional mu;ti-use square (Mel Lastman Square probably takes the cake) as a softer, greener and, simpler park. It will require some creativity with PATH and parking under Metro Hall but, it's already a city park and it's bigger than the city could afford with a new one in the area.

It's still unfinished to be fair - the benches and glass structures are coming

glass structures or canvases for scratchiti? Either way, things went sideways here when green and soft surfaces are what is missing with are downtown public spaces.

Pics taken Jan 24, 2019

fullsizeoutput_1fb7.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1fb8.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1fb5.jpeg

Decent progress on this considering the hold-up, the small site and the influx of snow/cold weather. Excited to see this one rise.

Yep, me too. That last shot shows how this development will finally tie this historically messy intersection together.

Speaking of which, does anyone know what the situation with the Hooters dilapidated shack property is? Is there a thread for it? It seems like the most obvious development site in the entire Entertainment District and yet it persists.

Very excited to see this one rise above ground — I think it's going to be quite nice, especially at street level.

Speaking of which, does anyone know what the situation with the Hooters dilapidated shack property is? Is there a thread for it? It seems like the most obvious development site in the entire Entertainment District and yet it persists.

Very excited to see this one rise above ground — I think it's going to be quite nice, especially at street level.

Don't know what the status is, but I'm not sure it's actually a great development site; you couldn't get a tall tower there with the 25m separation reg.

20m is the effective requirement in the Entertainment district - there is ton's of precedence for it. It's about 32m wide - and Bond is 7.5m from the property line, so you need your standard 12.5m separation.. leaving a 20m wide building there abouts if it has a 0m east setback. Narrower stuff has been done. But yea - it's tight.

It's more economical to just use columns/slabs/beams than forming a concrete arch. And a masonry arch would never be able to support a highrise building; brick is just a cladding material.

Well, masonry arches can be very strong…

but even the world's largest brick bridge, the Göltzsch Viaduct, uses stone for the arches. Here though, the structure is steel reinforced concrete.

Back