Toronto PJ Condos | 156.96m | 48s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini

PJCondos_Row1B_m.jpg

Source

It's only a model.

I realize that.

Why not show a side of the model that's actually going to be seen by the public in the final product.

I realize that.

Why not show a side of the model that's actually going to be seen by the public in the final product.
.. because a model has to have 4 sides and they aren't going to bother modelling the building next door?

The point of the photograph is pretty clearly to illustrate what the east elevation of the building looks like on the upper floors, where it will actually be visible.

.. because a model has to have 4 sides and they aren't going to bother modelling the building next door?

The point of the photograph is pretty clearly to illustrate what the east elevation of the building looks like on the upper floors, where it will actually be visible.

I’m sorry I don’t think I’m being clear here. What is the south side PJ Condos going to look like.

The model has 4 sides but they only show the northeast, northwest side. All the renders show the northwest side. Why is there nothing showing the south face.

My other comment “Weird they even show the east facing side that is literally abuts another building” could have been more clear. It was intended to convey “It is weird that they put up a photo of the east facing side (which will be covered by another building) and still not show the south side”.

It is very odd that we haven't seen the south side of this building at all - it's not like that side will be hidden. It will be very prominent from the south.

Seeing these models makes me even more excited for this building though. It's more solid at the top than I expected and I love the almost industrial look of it. A very nice slope on the roof too - could be quite a nice silhouette. And all the brick and warm colours all the way up to the top - it's a miracle!

Will be pretty nice next to Mirvish+Gehry I think.

Last edited:
I’m happy that the brick is planned on at least two facades. The north face arguably could have used it the most as it will be the most visible through to Richmond and even Queen Street. I’m betting they held off in order to provide balconies with uninterrupted views for residents (considering the backlash from E condo residents regarding the balcony metal screens, it might’ve been a good idea...)

I’m happy that the brick is planned on at least two facades. The north face arguably could have used it the most as it will be the most visible through to Richmond and even Queen Street. I’m betting they held off in order to provide balconies with uninterrupted views for residents (considering the backlash from E condo residents regarding the balcony metal screens, it might’ve been a good idea...)

I don't think the problematic metal screens should be compared to leveraging brick for PJ Condo's north facade. Beyond brick not coming with the noise issues seen from the exterior skin at E Condos, it could actually be leveraged as an advantage - creating very private and personal balcony spaces. This could be seen as a HUGE advantage over glass for many purchasers.

I honestly don't think the void brick from the north has anything to do with E Condos, but has to do with design vision for the building, and/or possibly the budget (most likely the latter).

The south elevation is largely spandrel and has a loading dock, so not surprised it's being downplayed.
From the arch plans:

I don't think the problematic metal screens should be compared to leveraging brick for PJ Condo's north facade. Beyond brick not coming with the noise issues seen from the exterior skin at E Condos, it could actually be leveraged as an advantage - creating very private and personal balcony spaces. This could be seen as a HUGE advantage over glass for many purchasers.

I honestly don't think the void brick from the north has anything to do with E Condos, but has to do with design vision for the building, and/or possibly the budget (most likely the latter).
I never said anything about noise issues. I said people complained about their views being blocked by the metallic screens, which was a move done to realize the architectural vision of the building. At any rate, providing uninterrupted views and being able to advertise them as such is good for the bottom line. - as is avoiding the added costs of brick treatment where possible.

Does anyone know how long it will take for them to pour concrete for each condo floor, once the podium floors have been completed ? Because the floors look small !

Does anyone know how long it will take for them to pour concrete for each condo floor, once the podium floors have been completed ? Because the floors look small !
Most buildings seem to hit the floor/week mark when the weather warms. This has a smaller floorplate but also a smaller staging area so not sure it will make a huge difference.

A lot of buildings do a floor every 4 work days or so - so slightly faster than 1/week.

Depends on the builder too - some work extended construction hours (centrecourt is known for 12 hour days instead of 8 hour days), resulting in even faster times. They built the ~45 "regular" floors of Grid in about 33 weeks, judging by photos showing regular floors starting mid august 2017 and ending early april 2018.

Back