News   Jul 23, 2024
 281     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 368     1 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Toronto Pearson International Airport

Not to bring up an old thread, however just saw a video in which Toronto Pearson's President Howard Eng is talking about the airport and mentions that they are now beginning to put together a new Master Plan (Recall there was the first Master plan in 1998 which led to the development of new T1 and other changes. The second Master plan came out around 2008 and built upon and updated the original Master plan). This plan will likely look at the airports future from 2018 to well into the 2030's. The video is linked below

http://www.airportdynamics.tv/videos/watch/73

I think what will happen, or what I'd like to see happen is completion of the Western piers of T1 (peir G, H, and I IIRC), followed by connection of the two terminals creating one super terminal. T3 being redeveloped to convert one of it's piers into a second hammerhead type pier (a la Hammerhead F). A second hotel along the Western edge of T1 just like the Sheraton at T3. Further rationalizing and organizing of the approach roads, if the two terminal were to be connected than the spaghetti effect could be limited or eliminated. Possibly a post security side transport train for passengers to connect between distant gates.

Mods you are welcome to create a new thread if you feel. I didn't think it was necessary.

I think what will happen, or what I'd like to see happen is completion of the Western piers of T1 (peir G, H, and I IIRC), followed by connection of the two terminals creating one super terminal. T3 being redeveloped to convert one of it's piers into a second hammerhead type pier (a la Hammerhead F). A second hotel along the Western edge of T1 just like the Sheraton at T3. Further rationalizing and organizing of the approach roads, if the two terminal were to be connected than the spaghetti effect could be limited or eliminated. Possibly a post security side transport train for passengers to connect between distant gates.

Mods you are welcome to create a new thread if you feel. I didn't think it was necessary.

re: Merging T1New and T3 - that was in the very early version of the Master Plan, but it was dropped somewhere along the line. As to this version - I suppose we really have to see how Pickering will figure into it as well.

AoD

I would expect them to start using the old T2 space first. They have a huge amount of tarmac at the airport just sitting empty. extend the new terminal around the parking lot a bit and build another hammerhead.

An acquaintance who works at GTAA mentioned that their current focus is on reconfiguring terminal 3 to increase capacity through flow improvements. Once terminal 3 is at capacity, airlines may be shifted to terminal 1, which has quite a bit of capacity yet to grow. Adding piers cost a lot, which is why they'll wait until it's absolutely necessary to do so, to construct one.

Yes the Western Piers were (and are) going to be the next expansion (into the area once occupied by T2). Unfortunately I have heard that there is not enough room in that area to build another Hammerhead structure, there will be one additional piers (a la Pier E?) and then a small extension/pier for smaller aircraft.

The airport does have some capacity to spare before expansion is needed, as mentioned T3 is being reconfigured for efficiency and the Infield terminal remains to absorb growth temporarily (until expansion is completed). I believe the new pier is planned for the 2020's pending demand.

I envision any Master plan will simply build on the plans in the last master plan with adjustments and changes to address current conditions.

Last I heard from an aquaintence who's working on some projects with the GTAA is that they are also looking at another option of another Pier F style extenson located between where Pier G & H are shown in CC's map above.
Plan would be to move all the remaining International carriers to that new Pier.

Therefore YYZ would conceptually be grouped as follows:

T3 = Westjet + OneWorld + Charters
T1 = Star Alliance Piers E & F
T1 = Skyteam and any non aligned Carriers Pier G

I have no technical knowledge about how airports work but as a customer I can say that at present Pearson is like a two-tier experience. Flying in and out of terminal 3 is hell. Flying in and out of terminal 1 is excellent.

P.S. when flying back through customs I experienced the automated customs and immigration terminals for the first time. Not too bad although I accidentally left my passport in the machine and had to turn back when I realized!

Last edited:
Silly question; Wouldn't airport operators prefer an approach of 1 very very large terminal, as opposed to the common scenario where airports have 1,2,3,4,5,6+ terminals ! It seems much easier to manage if done this way ?

Silly question; Wouldn't airport operators prefer an approach of 1 very very large terminal, as opposed to the common scenario where airports have 1,2,3,4,5,6+ terminals ! It seems much easier to manage if done this way ?

True, however I think the multiple terminal setup is a result of an airport's operations outgrowing the terminal capacity. Rather than renovate or destroy and rebuild the existing terminal they instead choose to build multiple terminals. Also it seems to me that during the days before air travel's deregulation that many airlines invested quite a bit of money into terminals for themselves, and their partners (Particularly at their 'home' or hub airports. See Delta in Atlanta) and therefore resulted in multiple terminals at an airport which had multiple airlines use as a hub.

From an operational perspective a multiple terminal set up would allow segregation of services. I believe Las Vegas' airport has one terminal for domestic and one for international flights. A domestic terminal would need different kinds of amenities, no need for customs for example, shorter domestic flights meaning less frazzled passengers, and an international terminal would need to be able to accomodate people who have just arrived from or are departing for a long trip, may not speak the local language etc. Not to say this is easier, just a thought as to the rationale for a multiple terminal approach.

Pearson is somewhat unique IMHO in that they have gone for a single large terminal approach but (and this is due in large part to it having significant traffic from the US and having USA customs pre clearance) once past security it has the capacity to pretty much segregated different types of passengers in the same way that a multi terminal airport might. Part of have US Customs pre clearance IIRC is a requirement that those passengers who have been pre cleared can not be mixed with other passengers.

From the 2014 Report:

A. TERMINAL 3 ENHANCEMENT PROGRAM

The Terminal 3 Enhancement Program is intended to increase Terminal 3’s passenger and baggage processing capacity, improve customer experience, improve passenger facilitation and connection flow, enhance the retail layout and offerings and address regulatory requirements relating to baggage security screening and U.S. Customs and Border Protection. The program also includes a restoration of a component of the Terminal 3 facility, as well as improving the energy efficiency of the terminal. In 2012, $0.4 million was expended on this program and in 2013, $9.8 million was expended to commence planning and design efforts on retail improvements, upgrades related to regulatory requirements and energy efficiency. In addition, a number of asset restoration initiatives were also completed in 2013.

The Terminal 3 Enhancement Program had an original approved capital budget of $406.8 million. As part of the Corporation’s 2013 strategic direction review, the capacity elements of the Terminal 3 Enhancement Program were reviewed and the program
has been modified accordingly. The revised capital budget for the Terminal 3 Enhancement Program is $141.3 million and includes the following projects:

1. Retail improvements and related modifications to check-in and security screening layout;
2. Energy efficiency improvements;
3. Restoration of Pier A (formerly referred to as the Terminal 3 Satellite);
4. Improvements to baggage induction facilities and baggage screening system conversions;
5. Other general refurbishment items

http://www.torontopearson.com/uploa...rate_Documents/GTAA_2014_FeasibilityStudy.pdf

AoD

From the 2014 Report:

The Terminal 3 Enhancement Program had an original approved capital budget of $406.8 million. As part of the Corporation’s 2013 strategic direction review, the capacity elements of the Terminal 3 Enhancement Program were reviewed and the program
has been modified accordingly. The revised capital budget for the Terminal 3 Enhancement Program is $141.3 million and includes the following projects:

My stab at a translation: "We had planned to expand the capacity of Terminal 3, but because of a rethink in 2013 of how much we're actually going to grow, we're cutting this project scope down dramatically and now mostly doing a minor freshening"

From the 2014 Report:

A. TERMINAL 3 ENHANCEMENT PROGRAM

The Terminal 3 Enhancement Program is intended to increase Terminal 3’s passenger and baggage processing capacity, improve customer experience, improve passenger facilitation and connection flow, enhance the retail layout and offerings and address regulatory requirements relating to baggage security screening and U.S. Customs and Border Protection. The program also includes a restoration of a component of the Terminal 3 facility, as well as improving the energy efficiency of the terminal. In 2012, $0.4 million was expended on this program and in 2013, $9.8 million was expended to commence planning and design efforts on retail improvements, upgrades related to regulatory requirements and energy efficiency. In addition, a number of asset restoration initiatives were also completed in 2013.

1. Retail improvements and related modifications to check-in and security screening layout;
2. Energy efficiency improvements;
3. Restoration of Pier A (formerly referred to as the Terminal 3 Satellite);
4. Improvements to baggage induction facilities and baggage screening system conversions;
5. Other general refurbishment items

http://www.torontopearson.com/uploa...rate_Documents/GTAA_2014_FeasibilityStudy.pdf

AoD

Thanks for that link. That's an amazing document I can't believe I missed it. There is a wealth of information there including traffic statistics, aircraft mix, etc that are valuable in any discussion of airport capacity in the GTA.

@Platform27. I don't see anything wrong with a reduction in scope if the growth isn't anticipated. Things change and we should be able to adapt to those changes.

Back