News   Jul 15, 2024
 102     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Toronto Pearson International Airport

That's right! I forgot about the Trillium part. I do remember Cookies by George and the Cinnabon location on the departures level. Amazing the number of food service providers that have come and gone since opening day. I don't think there is a single original one left.

Harrod's also had an outlet pre-security. The hotel was Swissotel (explains why the conference/event room is called the Geneva room).

GTAA is embarking on a massive T3 refresh. I'm curious to see the scope of the project, but what we do know is the focus will be on cosmetic upgrades.

I know the standards for North American airports aren't terribly high, but we really should be aspiring to approach or equal the standards of the better European hubs like Munich and Copenhagen, which are of a similar scale.

Or at the very least match the level of competency at T1. T3 isn't a domestic terminal and really shouldn't be treated as such.

AoD

To follow up on the connection of Terminal 1 and 3, the 2014 Feasibility Reports (here) notes:
"It was determined that in the longer term, the terminals should be operated in a more integrated manner and accordingly that an airside link between the terminals would be required. This will provide the Corporation with additional flexibility and opportunity to gain efficiencies through the effective management of existing capacity and to forestall capital developments. Additional studies will be undertaken in 2014 to determine the concepts and technology for an airside link and confirm a project cost estimate."

The report shows it as a project "Requiring Approval", with $1M to be spent in 2014 on studies, with a total project cost of $706M.

That's not small. For comparison, Pier F was $1.2B. $1.2B is the same they have slated for Pier G, which the same report shows being built in 10 years, after the T1-T3 connection.

wait, I thought that Pier G was supposed to be finished this year in the original plan. I thought it had just been delayed a few years due to slower than expected growth.

To follow up on the connection of Terminal 1 and 3, the 2014 Feasibility Reports (here) notes:
"It was determined that in the longer term, the terminals should be operated in a more integrated manner and accordingly that an airside link between the terminals would be required. This will provide the Corporation with additional flexibility and opportunity to gain efficiencies through the effective management of existing capacity and to forestall capital developments. Additional studies will be undertaken in 2014 to determine the concepts and technology for an airside link and confirm a project cost estimate."

Interesting. Thanks for digging that up.

With all the complications caused by the different sectors at the airport (Domestic, Transborder, and International), I have a tough time seeing any solution which isn't simply "airside buses" being a waste of money.

wait, I thought that Pier G was supposed to be finished this year in the original plan. I thought it had just been delayed a few years due to slower than expected growth.

They did kind of build a Pier G. They just did it on the cheap for transborder turboprop and RJ flights. It's not a pleasant space to be in.

11-06-27H-0061a_xgaplus.jpg

Attachments

• 11-06-27H-0061a_xgaplus.jpg
    11-06-27H-0061a_xgaplus.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 1,463

Yeah. Passenger growth is actually relatively strong (in-line with estimates after ~2004) but airlines have been upsizing aircraft and as a result move more people with the same number of gates.

Demand for additional gates isn't growing as quickly.

For example, ACs new 787s are expected to increase their passenger count by nearly 10% but it's the same number of aircraft.

Last edited:
They did kind of build a Pier G. They just did it on the cheap for transborder turboprop and RJ flights. It's not a pleasant space to be in.

It's also temporary. The fenced off area is the construction area for the eventual pier G which will take over the space occupied by the commuter stands. The commuter stands will then move East-South-East to the other side of pier G

Last edited by a moderator:
Why did they pave the area where the old terminal one building was in ashphat instead of concrete? Is it to remind us that the building was there?

Why did they pave the area where the old terminal one building was in ashphat instead of concrete? Is it to remind us that the building was there?

The ground needs to settle where the old access tunnel and basement were. Eventually they will concrete it. I'll miss it when it is gone since it is a little reminder of where I once worked, made and lost friends and coworkers, forged my character and work ethic, and spent a lot of my time in my younger days.

Thanks for that info I'm from the falls . Every time I had to pick up friend from the airport in terminal one. I always went to the top floor of the parking structure to gaze at the planes. Its amazing how small the old terminal was compared to the new one is.

Thanks for that info I'm from the falls . Every time I had to pick up friend from the airport in terminal one. I always went to the top floor of the parking structure to gaze at the planes. Its amazing how small the old terminal was compared to the new one is.
It is indeed amazing how small the footprint is.

Funny ... always seemed like you could just walk forever ... :)

They likely need to create the gate capacity to be able to close that part of the apron down in order to pave the area

It will be done in small sections so only one or two gates will be closed at any given time and will have a minimal impact on Terminal operations.

Does anyone know when they are going to start Pier G? According to the plans I think it was supposed to be finish this year. They said they would have G,H, and maybe I done by 2020. I don't think that's going to happen.

Back