Toronto Pan Am Village in the West Don Lands | ?m | ?s | DundeeKilmer | KPMB

could they be preparing to widen Front street? that part of the street is quite small right now, and it will become the main street of the Pan Am village.

That block is the Welcome Centre and Plaza area - WT announced several months ago that it would be paved "before winter" so I guess they have looked at the calendar. As noted above, the buildings on that block are to be temporary. It is hard to tell from the renderings whether that block of Front Street will be widened but I THINK they may be adding a line of trees on the south side of Front to match the line on the north side.

I crossed the street this morning and asked one of the operators what it is they were building here, and he said "all I know is that it's parking for the Pan Am Games", so I guess it will be paved before winter, it's only a shallow dig they're doing.

Last edited:
My recollection is that it will be the welcome area as well. Described as where they will process the athletes before they head into the village.

But that area is not part of the construction obligations relating to the winner of the village project.

when I attended the Portlands open house they did have the model of the 2015 pan am village there for some reason, I rlly cant get a clear image of it put im sure it was supposed to be some village welcome center, more like a public space during the games.
Also they will be widening the street. Im not sure about the parking lots though, I highly doubt that Waterfront Toronto thinks making parking lots is a way of revitalizing our waterfront. There will be a promenade further down the road with each of the countries flags. The village will be constructed a couple months before the games. Trees will be planted earlier in order for them to mature a bit. I got this information from a student working with DTAH, the team in charge with the landscaping. Also the promenade will feature art sculptures. Something like the one in the Distillery District.

Pictures taken 3 November 2012.

The George Brown Residence and the new YMCA now above ground on the east side of Cherry Street.

IMG_1310_1-L.jpg

IMG_1314_1-L.jpg

And also they want to let the grass and trees "settle" into the earth before people start walking on it.

If memory serves, they're still working on the flood-protection landform.

Exactly. Waterfront Toronto has a nice webcam over-looking the park and you can see all the construction currently on the "wet" side for the FPL. This area will just be prairie plantings of grasses, and walkways, etc...expected Summer 2013 completion for the whole park.

New crane going up this morning. Hard to tell from my vantage point, but I think it's for the Canary District Condos.

img4022wk.jpg

img4026aq.jpg

img4029j.jpg

At this rate they're going to build out an entire neighbourhood in less time than it takes to revitalize Nathan Philips Square.

Back