Toronto Pan Am Village in the West Don Lands | ?m | ?s | DundeeKilmer | KPMB

It looks like a modern, North American version of a parisian boulevard. Love it.

When do they plan on building any of this? It's already late 2012..... time is ticking, I can't see it getting done.

O Ye of little faith, haha. ALL of the buildings for the PanAm Games Athlete's Village ARE under construction right now: Blocks 1/14 (GB and YMCA), Blocks 3/15(Affordable Rental Apts), Blocks 4 (Market Condo Apts) and Block 11 (Canary District Condos) They will all be completed by the end of 2014. At least that's the plan.

None are 60 story buildings with wacky, curvy architecture so don't worry so much haha. The highest is around 15 storeys on Block 4 right across from Don River Park, and that one they are shoring and excavating right now. That's more than 2 years to complete relatively small buildings.

And yes, some will remain vacant development lands just used for temporary facilities (tents, trailers, etc.) for the Games, then developed with market condos thereafter.

Hope that helps give you some confidence in our construction trades :)

Forgot to mention: Nothing will be very fancy here for the Games. The finishes in most of the future condo units will be very basic while housing the Athletes...concrete floors, no kitchens or bathrooms in individual units. They will be like a shell, to be renovated and finished for the occupants of the condo units for Spring of 2016. It will still be a construction site...just a prettied up construction site for the Games :) And lots of trees planted!

Will the Canary restaurant building be restored?

Absolutely! As with the Distillery District, Dundee plans on only leasing to "unique" retail shops, restaurants, etc. to create another City destination.

From earlier today...

IMG_2776.jpg

IMG_2780.jpg

Some excavation going on this morning at the SE corner of Front and Trinity, I believe this is the future Welcome Plaza?

img3846me.jpg

img3844kz.jpg

By the way, has anybody seen a rendering of what will be built on this block? All the renderings I've seen show only up to Cherry St.

That block wasn't part of the Pan Am villiage bid. Not sure I've ever seen proposals for it.

That was my understanding, too, that it was a Welcome Plaza and part of Pan Am...with just temporary structures.

I've gotten used to this vacant land when walking to the Distillery...such an improvement with the old buildings now demo'd.

Interesting to see what they are digging here for. Services that tie in with Cherry St maybe? Although you would think that they would dig up that section of Front Street if that were the case.

Back