Toronto Pan Am Village in the West Don Lands | ?m | ?s | DundeeKilmer | KPMB

A permanent plant to replace this temporary building is supposedly in the George Brown basement and the surface one will go away - or that was certainly the plan. They were certainly never going to run Corus and GBC heating from WDL.

I hope that is the case. When the temporary plant was first set up I tried to track down information on it - why it was in that location, what the longer term plans were. It was initially an exercise in frustration, with calls to the contractor's office, the councilor's office - finally directed to the Waterfront Toronto office, where I was told that it was in fact temporary, and was to be replaced by a district heating plant - location still to be finalized. The George Brown building was already under construction at that point, so I would have thought that if it was to be located in the basement, it would have been known by then. It does seem strange to be putting a district heating facility in the basement of an academic building.

I must admit, based on what I had been told earlier, I was jumping to a conclusion when associating the West Don Lands heating plant with replacement of the temporary one on Queen's Quay.

I think this is the old Canary Restaurant building

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO M5A 1G9

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 12 198457 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Jun 22, 2012

Project: Multiple Unit Building Other(BA)

Description: Proposal to demolish 1 sty concrete block addition on east side of Heritage Building and demolish canopy on south side. PAN-AM Games.

Does anyone know what the height in Metres (not just storeys) of the George Brown residences/YMCA complex will be? The crane looks rather tall.

Taken July 5, 2012:

As viewed from 33 Mill Street 27th floor (Pure Spirits Building):

IMG_4394.jpg

IMG_4397.jpg

IMG_4395.jpg

IMG_4396.jpg

Taken July 3, 2012:

IMG_4358.jpg

IMG_4372-001.jpg

Don River Park:
IMG_4361.jpg

IMG_4365.jpg

IMG_4364.jpg

I wonder if the giant self storage building just to the north of the village in the first picture will be redeveloped.

taal:

The precinct plans accounts for redevelopment of that parcel - it's privately owned so it will have to occur at a separate timetable.

AoD

Razz: Thank you kindly for the great shots. Difficult to see what's going on at ground level, so these help a lot :)

Soon the Canary District Condos will get a crane, too.

I'm excited to move into River City (King Street Building) next June...and thanks for getting it in a few of your pics!!! I'm sure the area will look a lot different in the next year.

Does anyone know what the plans are for the old Dominion Foundry building on Old Eastern Avenue? At one point the 'machine house' was to be the district heating plant but I think all district heating has now been scrapped due to time constraints with Pan Am Games (despite WT having spent $$$ laying lots of pipes near River City etc.)

Some shots of the model of the Pan Am Village at the Canary District Showroom to give a sense of the streetscape. Personally I find these to be impressive.

2012-09-01-150957-HDR-X2.jpg

2012-09-01-151103-HDR-X2.jpg

I just wonder how many of those buildings are going up for the pan am games ... I know some will just be empty plots till they get them developed.

Back