Toronto Pan Am Village in the West Don Lands | ?m | ?s | DundeeKilmer | KPMB

Noticed the crane going up as well from the Don River Park webcam on WT's website. Very exciting to see the first crane up for the Pan Am Village. Heading to the West Don Lands public meeting tonight to get up-to-date on everything :) Should be a good meeting.

Noticed the crane going up as well from the Don River Park webcam on WT's website. Very exciting to see the first crane up for the Pan Am Village. Heading to the West Don Lands public meeting tonight to get up-to-date on everything :) Should be a good meeting.

If you made it to the WDL meeting, was there anything interesting to share? Thx in advance!

Meeting was very good...but for those of you regularly on UT's and WT's websites...I guess there was nothing new to report....but here are some highlights:

The President of Dundee Kilmer Developments spoke a fair bit about their first market condominium buildings, the Canary District Condos (now under construction), as well as the YMCA, George Brown Student Residences, and the two TCHC buildings (directly east of the YMCA to be close for families, etc). They will also have a second yet un-named market condo project to be built at the corner of Front Street and Bayview Ave directly across from Don River Park.

The timing appeared to be approx 24 months to build each building, with all buildings planned for the Athlete's Village under construction this year, with a late 2014 completion date...and well ahead of the Games.

The other vacant development blocks with be used for temporary structures, large tents, etc., in support of the Athlete's Village for dining, shops, etc. After the games, Dundee Kilmer will be allowed to build 3 other market condo projects over time (along Front Street).

One of the Blocks is for a potential school and community centre on Mill St next to Don River Park -- TDSB has just initiated talks to see what they are going to do with the site. Apparently they have a 10 year "hold" on the site -- to build or not to build will depend on a number of factors, new students in area, etc. But WT seemed encouraged that TDSB wants to start discussions...

The presenters from Waterfront Toronto gave an update on the parks and roads. Phase 2 of Don River Park will be built this year completing the Flood Protection Landform on the "wet" side (large rocks set in place to prevent erosion of the "dry" side and then "prairie" type grass plantings and trails overtop of this, since trees will not grow with all the rocks underneath) and the whole park is expected to be open in 2013.

Underpass Park will be getting the public art installed this June -- large stainless steel panels reflecting light, affixed to the underside of the overpass in the area directly west of Lower River Street (I think that it may be just an open, multi-use area with some benches located there now). This Phase 1 of the park is expected to be open to the public in July, with the second phase west of St. Lawrence St expected to be completed by September. Trees for Phase 2 have already been individually selected and "tagged" at the nursery for future delivery and planting.

Cherry Street will have a streetcar ROW installed as part of the reconstruction, but will NOT be in use until after the Games -- they will build the turning circle at Cherry Street and Mill Street after the Games, with first use planned for 2016 -- which coincides with expected occupancies of the (refreshed! and renewed!) condo buildings.

Very exciting time and we should see a lot more cranes going up this Summer!!! Hope my summary helps a bit :)

Thank you for reporting the details for us RiverCity - really appreciate it. Waiting on WT to post the presentations :)

Dundee Kilmer will be allowed to build 3 other market condo projects over time (along Front Street).

So that's the bit the original press release hinted at, but didn't identify conclusively. I trust that these 3 projects will be in general agreement with the zoning by-laws for the precinct?

AoD

Last edited:
RiverCity gives a very good summary of the meeting and I too look forward to seeing the presentations online sooner or later. Though the buildings will be finished in late 2014 they will not be available to purchasers until after the Games - probably about 6 months after because the condos are being built without kitchens being completed (so they can be used as bedrooms for athletes). This puts the occupancy to early 2016 - about the time the streetcar turning circle just north of the berm will be ready.

One point made was that district heating will NOT be part of the Pan Am Village buildings due to 'lack of time". This is unfortunate but the main piping has been installed through-out the site and WT staff said that it could be used for later buildings and that the Pan-Am ones could be retrofitted. Seems too bad to me as installing all the pipes must have been costly but ....

No word on exactly what will eventually be happening to the Dominion Foundry buildings - though I think they are for Pan Am administration in the interim. The old 'powerhouse" (on Eastern) was supposed to be the district heating HQ.

DSC:

What of the plans for Steven Holl's original design for the district heating plant, which is right beside the railway tracks and the turning circle? Did it get canned?

AoD

from today
DSCF4373.jpg

I'm worried about a lack of retail in the area as a whole.
Does anyone have any figures in regards to how much retail there is planned ?

DSC:

What of the plans for Steven Holl's original design for the district heating plant, which is right beside the railway tracks and the turning circle? Did it get canned?

AoD
For some reason I don't think it's been officially scrapped but it's been indefinitely pushed to the backburner and nobody seems to be talking about it. Architecturally though I think Holl's concept is toast. At the Don West meeting they said the central steam plant would not be running in time to coordinate with the Pan Am Village, but that the pan am buildings may be retrofitted if and when it is up and running. I believe they are installing underground servicing provisions for the future steam plant, or at least they should be.

For some reason I don't think it's been officially scrapped but it's been indefinitely pushed to the backburner and nobody seems to be talking about it. Architecturally though I think Holl's concept is toast. At the Don West meeting they said the central steam plant would not be running in time to coordinate with the Pan Am Village, but that the pan am buildings may be retrofitted if and when it is up and running. I believe they are installing underground servicing provisions for the future steam plant, or at least they should be.

This was not discussed at the meeting on Tuesday but I agree with neubuilder that it is very much on the back-burner. As far as I know there are "steam pipes" on many parts of the site now - certainly they laid them on the section of Mill Street east of Cherry and beside the new Lower River Street. If the district heating is never implimented these will be a puzzle for future archaeologists and a great waste of money!

This was not discussed at the meeting on Tuesday but I agree with neubuilder that it is very much on the back-burner. As far as I know there are "steam pipes" on many parts of the site now - certainly they laid them on the section of Mill Street east of Cherry and beside the new Lower River Street. If the district heating is never implimented these will be a puzzle for future archaeologists and a great waste of money!

Another consideration - a temporary steam plan now sits in front of the Corus Building on Queens Quay, serving (I believe) the Corus and George Brown buildings - that was to be replaced when the new district heating plan became operational. The temporary plant is visual blot as built in its present location - now looks like it will be around a lot longer than anticipated.

Notice how in the original rendering all the buildings along Bayview, facing the park were all very colourful and pretty but now in the new rendering they are all grey. (see above updates) This is Toronto, so I do expect some grey but do we really need every building along Don River Park, to be grey? What a disappointment!

Can somebody tell Waterfront Toronto that variety is the spice of life. (that includes COLOUR too!)

Last edited:
Another consideration - a temporary steam plan now sits in front of the Corus Building on Queens Quay, serving (I believe) the Corus and George Brown buildings - that was to be replaced when the new district heating plan became operational. The temporary plant is visual blot as built in its present location - now looks like it will be around a lot longer than anticipated.

A permanent plant to replace this temporary building is supposedly in the George Brown basement and the surface one will go away - or that was certainly the plan. They were certainly never going to run Corus and GBC heating from WDL.

Back