Toronto Pan Am Village in the West Don Lands | ?m | ?s | DundeeKilmer | KPMB

I was thinking the exact same thing. Anybody laying bets?

As usual UTers are getting into panic mode long before it's necessary.

The work on the Pan-Am Village is proceeding very fast, the services are being put in place right now and the new roads built. At the speed they are going I suspect the road network will be finished in a couple of months with new sewers, new water and new conduits for Hydro, phones and cable. (Not sure if they are bringing gas into the site but there are new gas pipes on both Front and Eastern so it seems likely that there will be gas there too.)

In addition the foundations for the larger Pan-Am buildings are being dug right now and plans are moving ahead for the other lower-rise ones - I bet all the permanent buildings are underway by mid-summer.

Work on Cherry Street is moving ahead too, they are in the final stages of putting all the Hydro underground and have installed new conduits for cable etc. I understand that the new watermain on Cherry and on the old section of Front (between Cherry and Eastern) is next. Then Cherry will be rebuilt to its new and imoroved design. (I do not know if they will be laying the streetcar track or only leaving space for it - apparently it is not planned to have it working until after the Games.)

Yes, there's lots of work to do but a huge amount is being done and progress each week is huge. Go back up the thread and look at photos from last fall compared to this week.

Last edited:
It's more than enough time once they get started - they aren't building 30, 40s buildings for Pam Am.

AoD

Y'all are killjoys -- without something to whinge about, the number of new posts will drop to zero!

WDL is going to look like a mini-City Place when all the cranes get up and construction full begins. With the new TCHC crane, we've got 3 cranes + Streetcar across King. Another whack of projects to the south and this place will be crane central.

It'll be done on time. With a date certain, fixed price contract, large liquidated damages and a mandated large amount of equity it has to.

The consortium I worked with actually was able to finish 2-3 months in advance of the required delivery date. We lost but I imagine the winning team had a similar schedule.

A quick stroll south past some battered promises...
March202012306.jpg

[/img]

I always liked the renderings on those billboards. Are you saying it wont look like that!?

That is such a lovely view corridor -- it's great that we get a ground view from the Don (or close to it) all the way downtown to the CN tower.

The crane for the YMCA and the George Brown Residences at Front and Cherry is being installed right now (May 29, 2012).

Back