Toronto Pan Am Village in the West Don Lands | ?m | ?s | DundeeKilmer | KPMB

nfitz:

I wouldn't read too much into that one way or another. Besides, if you look at the aerial rendering, it is pretty clear the division of the ROW as per the plan is rendered; there are also streetcars in the George Brown rendering as well.

AoD

It's reassuring that the two historic buildings (Canary Restaurant building + other side) at the gateway to the athletes village are incorporated unmolested by this plan.
In previous renderings they were shown post-facadectomy in full franken-bondage, and to see it was deeply disturbing.

It's reassuring that the two historic buildings (Canary Restaurant building + other side) at the gateway to the athletes village are incorporated unmolested by this plan.
In previous renderings they were shown post-facadectomy in full franken-bondage, and to see it was deeply disturbing.

Yeah, considering how these structures has been neglected for years, it'll be huge improvement.

The area is somewhat of a dead zone right now, this will do absolute wonders for the east end of the city.

We parked on Cherry last night and went and had a pint at Mill St. Brewery. While it's a crazy construction zone right now, I'd say that it's already pretty lively -- Soulpepper has a performance, some GBC kids were rehearsing something in one classroom along Cherry, some kid was practicing music in the other, MSB was about half full and filling up with pre-theatre diners.

That having been said, the amount of construction that's about to go on is just crazy!

Absolutely. Facadectomies have become so commonplace in Toronto that we're getting dulled to them, even though a lot of them are bizarre and terribly awkward. Seeing the Big Bop building restored with no tower above is like a breath of fresh air - and seeing these buildings in the renderings finally re-incorporated into the city and restored on their own is also wonderful.

It's so great to see this development going ahead after so much waiting and difficulty. To have that part of the city caringly developed and tended to brings a lot of uplift with it.
This area of the city coming along, plus the Regent Park redevelopment and the Distillery area being developed seem to be finally lifting the pall that has hung over downtown east of Yonge for ages.

The former Canary restaurant.

1061312913_38558a8ce8_b.jpg

I was doing some antique/nostalgia picking around town yesterday, and to my surprise that Canary Restaurant neon sign (though in bad shape) is sitting in the back space of an antique dealers shop...hahaha, funny what you come across.

I was doing some antique/nostalgia picking around town yesterday, and to my surprise that Canary Restaurant neon sign (though in bad shape) is sitting in the back space of an antique dealers shop...hahaha, funny what you come across.

I remember our car breaking down late at night just off this corner back in the 1960's. We were nervous just getting out of the car. This was one creepy area at that time of night back then. How times have changed.

Application: Partial Permit Status: Not Started

TORONTO M5A 1G9

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 11 330642 FND 00 PP Accepted Date: Feb 8, 2012

Project: Apartment Building Partial Permit - Foundation

Description: Part Permit - Proposal to construct a 10 sty residential building with 1 level of below grade parking. 108 units. Affordable Housing. PAN-AM. BLOCKS 2 & 3.

TORONTO M5A 1G9

Application#: 11 330588 FND 00 PP Accepted Date: Feb 9, 2012

Project: Multiple Use/Non Residential Partial Permit - Foundation

Description: Part Permit - Proposal to construct a 9 sty student residence and a 2 sty community sports facility with 1 level of below grade parking. PAN-AM. BLOCKS 1 & 14.

TORONTO M5A 1G9

Application#: 11 330653 SHO 00 PP Accepted Date: Feb 9, 2012

Project: Mixed Use/Res w Non Res Partial Permit - Shoring

Description: Part Permit - Proposal to construct a 12 sty residential building with ground floor retail and 1 level of below grade parking. 145 units. Affordable Housing. PAN-AM. BLOCK 15.

March 20, 2012

On the branch of Eastern, between St. Lawrence and Sumach, looking south.
March202012248.jpg

March202012249.jpg

March202012250.jpg

Looking back (easterly) along Eastern, towards Underpass Park. There's a long lot along this curved ramp that I think would be a fantastic place for an inventive building. Calling Zaha Hadid! But I'm afraid after MAXXI, she'd hang up the phone.
March202012251.jpg

Turning south on Cherry from Eastern. Lord help you if you need a washroom at this point.
March202012263.jpg

Deja-vu. Obviously, rdaner and I were in the same spot. Doesn't look like much has happened in five days.
March202012267.jpg

...but wait!
March202012270.jpg

Yes, two industrious gentlemen sunk to their necks.
March202012269.jpg

Sometimes I swear Edward Hopper must have personally designed Cherry Street.
March202012273.jpg

Looking eastward between the Canary and that slightly less famous building.
March202012281.jpg

March202012284.jpg

March202012286.jpg

Well, this looks promising and official.
March202012289.jpg

Two and a half years, you say? Dig! Dig with all your might!
March202012290.jpg

Meanwhile, just across the street in the other direction (looking westward) - massive land clearance.
March202012298.jpg

The skyline view that seems to be springing into recognition in just the last few years...
March202012300.jpg

A quick stroll south past some battered promises...
March202012306.jpg

To look eastward again, along Mill street.
March202012304.jpg

Last edited:
From those pictures ... Geez! There is a LOT to do and only three years left to do it! :-/ I don't have a good feeling about this! I think the Pam Am officials better start booking rooms at the local hotels!

Back