Toronto Paintbox | ?m | 26s | Daniels | Diamond Schmitt

Looks amazing interchange thanks for posting those great pics! I am impressed that Daniel's is able to put a unique spin on the condo incorporating the arts centre. I hope those LED lights WILL be visible from afar, it will be like a rainbow and should look awesome!

i like it, this will really change the whole area for the better.

This is the original rendering, on the bottom left. The one on the top right was the second design, I assume.
RegentParkArtsCentre3ghdf.jpg

I prefer the original arts centre design, that was much more open, with more glass. I liked the transparency. I wonder what the white cladding will be made of? I hope it's not some cheap painted aluminum or concrete. The original one also had 4 floors, so I think it's losing the top floor. It also had a bigger outdoor patio. I wish they would have kept it black too.

I found this pic interesting also.
regent-park-revitalization-story-2.jpg

Last edited:
It's hard to tell from a rendering, but I'm worried about how the arts centre will turn out. White metal cladding - especially white aluminum cladding like Torontovibe reminded us - dates very badly in our climate and, before you know it, you have something that looks like one of those godawful two storey medical clinics from the 1970s with the thin windows strips that's clad in aluminum siding.

The pool is nice, if a tad suburban. We re trying to build a metropolis, here, we don't need some marsh plants out front.

wow that open green space between the buildings looks like a great place to make a chop LOL

for this project to have any potential they would need to drop the regent park name and lower the subsidized housing component to 10-15%

Watching buildings come down is almost as much fun as watching them go up.
[video=youtube;AvTIA3FgfTY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvTIA3FgfTY[/video]

Nothing as dramatic as Pruitt-Igoe, but I think anytime a public housing "project" comes down is a historical moment.

I've got to go there and check it out myself. Hopefully I'll be able to snap some dramatic urban shots.

Unlike Pruitt-Igoe, I doubt Regent Park will have a track composed by Phillip Glass, but between the 1940s-1960s original development and demolitions and this latest phase, it's just as dramatic, but over time. Pruitt-Igoe remains an empty urban prairie.

wow that solitary crane looks so lonely taking small bites out of the building...surely there is a more efficient way to demolish it? Implosion? Wrecking ball?

Perhaps in a green-conscious era, "more efficient" = "less efficient", i.e. it's better to deftly deconstruct than to blow up real good...

Back