Toronto Paintbox | ?m | 26s | Daniels | Diamond Schmitt

I've been telling my friends to buy here.. some say "its too dangerous", but in reality isn't any more dangerous than any other neighbourhood (save maybe rosedale lol)
It's on two streetcar routes, and steps from Queen streetcar out to Beaches (which I didn't mention in my previous post).

Nope, and that's why it turned into a trash heap. That said, while I like many aspects of the mid-century Modernist movement, it wasn't all well thought out. Though remember, it's not the buildings' fault the place turned out the way it did.

Wow, the musty smell of nostalgia for the good old days of Regent Park seems rampant on this thread. The beautifully landscaped grounds, the spacious two level apartments, the finely detailed structures. Didn't Regent Park residents realize how fortunate they were--living in an urban paradise?

Actually, I'd suspect that if a lot of the inhabitants of these, uh, "ghetto zones" were taught a little about their genius loci, its history and its stories--democratizing and universalizing the Doors Open impulse, IOW--they might come to a sympathy for and sense of "ownership" of the architecture and urbanism they inhabit. It sure beats pathologizing it all as disposable entropy.

Also remember that Regent Park South "learned" a little from the Regent Park North experience, i.e. rather than oppressive cookie-cutter brick banality, you had Scandinavianesque townhouses and innovative skip-stop slabs...

I've been telling my friends to buy here.. some say "its too dangerous", but in reality isn't any more dangerous than any other neighbourhood (save maybe rosedale lol)
It's on two streetcar routes, and steps from Queen streetcar out to Beaches (which I didn't mention in my previous post).

DC I don't know what the "magic bullet" is in terms of improving the reputation of this area. It won't happen overnight, thats for sure. Restructuring the streets is an important start but also there needs to be a lot of community involvement, supporting education and community programs, and in general changing the mindset of the many youth who live in the neighbourhood. I've been down there numerous times during the day, and have never felt it to be more unsafe than other areas. However, I've been told not to go there after dark. Is it really that scary there? Seems that the shootings that happened last year were all related to drugs and gangs. Of course that doesn't make pedestrians feel any safer even with open streets and lighting as bullets tend to stray.

DC I don't know what the "magic bullet" is in terms of improving the reputation of this area. It won't happen overnight, thats for sure. Restructuring the streets is an important start but also there needs to be a lot of community involvement, supporting education and community programs, and in general changing the mindset of the many youth who live in the neighbourhood. I've been down there numerous times during the day, and have never felt it to be more unsafe than other areas. However, I've been told not to go there after dark. Is it really that scary there? Seems that the shootings that happened last year were all related to drugs and gangs. Of course that doesn't make pedestrians feel any safer even with open streets and lighting as bullets tend to stray.

Here's the best way to keep safe in Regent Park, or any other 'Priority Hood': Don't get involved in Gang Life!
If you don't bother them, they wont bother you. If you are one who's intimidated by 'suspicious' characters, you probably shouldn't live in a big city (or any city for that matter). Chances are, that extra-suspicious-looking character is prolly an undercover anyway.

There is a lot more police presence in the area, especially at night, and the addition of chain retailers such as FreshCo (by Sobeys) and that Tims helps out too. More eyes on a street the better.

The condos/towns are a lot brighter than the small, dark bldgs they've replaced. Brightening up the surrounding streets also makes it safer. As this project progresses, you'll see a noticeable difference in the Dundas/Parliament area.

It'll really be interesting to see if this police initiative in Regent Park is going to last. They've had an awful reputation of avoiding the area like the plague, some even say they've given up or even are scared of going into that neighbourhood themselves! Urban planners talk about the number of eyes on the street, and I think it totally makes sense. If they make everything open without little nooks and crannies where dangerous behaviour is likely to take place, it should be a big help. Although I haven't been there at night, I think the one thing I noticed during the day is that there doesn't seem to be enough street lighting, especially in the newer built areas. I wonder if they are going to install more lighting? They've made a nice start with Freshco, Royal Bank and Timmys. I hear Paintbox is going to have a pedestrian mews with more street levels retail. They need more retail there for sure. The arts and cultural centre will bring people outside to Regent Park, but more stores, more visitors, improves the profile of the area, its a self fulfilling prophecy...this is the hope.

I think the new store openings have already changed things. The corner of Dandas & Parliament almost always had a number of drunks, druggies, crack whores and other colourful people. Since the new retail opened, that intersection is much more crowded, yet the sketchy people have practically all gone. I haven't seen any of that crowd, the last few times I walked by. So it seems to me, the neighbourhood is already changing. Retail & eyes on the street, makes all the difference.

Regent Park Farmer's Market

I've noticed this during the day also.. Haven't spent much time in the area at night unfortunately.

One thing I hope the community keeps is the little farmer's market deal they got going in the courtyards currently. Kinda like in St Jamestown. The new Regent Park PARK would be a good place to set this up as a gathering spot for the entire community!

Huh :confused: doesnt look any better than anything that is built at Liberty Village.

Have you seen some of the crap at Liberty Village? It's much better than most of Liberty Village. I don't see much culture, art or even retail going into Liberty Village. Liberty Village is suburbia on the edge of downtown.

Have you seen some of the crap at Liberty Village? It's much better than most of Liberty Village. I don't see much culture, art or even retail going into Liberty Village. Liberty Village is suburbia on the edge of downtown.

I spent an afternoon walking around there and that was my impression too. But it does have Queen Street West (west) a five minute walk north which, to my mind, offers some appeal to Liberty Village.

Re: Paintbox, it's good to see projects moving forward here but this looks rather sterile.

There's a parkette with a neat 'ceiling' feature at King & Crawford which works out nicely on sunny days (not-so-much on cloudy days; just looks industrial). That should be considered art? Right? lol

LV also has the old Prison Chapel which was preserved (yet currently in disrepair). Also a form of art?
But ya, I agree with the 'feel' of LV.. very Gated Community. Once you're in, you feel like village of the dammed and ppl look at you like you don't belong. As a visitor, I didn't stay long at all.

Regent Park seems much more entwined into the urban fabric of the neighbourhood, which to me anyway, is a better setting.

Liberty Village is has its ups and downs. The repurposed warehouses are inspiring examples of preservation and some of the new condos are decent, but then there are the regrettable suburban elements like the Metro and strip mall, as well as cookie-cutter townhouses. These elements contribute the bare minimum towards this urban neighbourhood's built form in terms of design, place-making, and land use. There isn't any low-rise residential project in Liberty Village that resembles this Regent Park development with its strong arrangement of windows and massing. The community amenities that will occupy the ground floor also seem unmatched.

A quickie from my phone.

Attachments

• IMG-20110226-00034.jpg
    IMG-20110226-00034.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 317

Back