Toronto Paintbox | ?m | 26s | Daniels | Diamond Schmitt

Sorry but out of all the neighborhoods in Toronto this ranks last on my list. Would you live and play in the area?

I would take this neighbourhood over suburbia, any day. Torontonians are a lot more adventurous than people give them credit for. We mix socially, economically and racially, better than ANY city in the world. That's what makes this city so great. We need to give ourselves more credit. We are risk takers and Regent Park just proves it. A lot of people predicted the condos here would never sell but they were WRONG. I know Toronto and I was sure they would be successful. As a matter of fact, many new condos in downtown Toronto, are going up right beside or across the street from TCHC buildings.

(Market Warf, Parade, Aura, 501 Yonge St, Milan, 500 Sherbourne, Star of Downtown, Radio City, James Cooper Mansion and Five St. Joseph, to just name a few)

That's a lot of people, taking risks and buying condos right beside (TCHC) the poorest of the poor. For some reason, Torontonians are willing to take that risk and the city is a better place for it.

Last edited:
Definitely not pre-revitalization, but post-revitalization, yes I would consider it. It's very close to downtown, will have a bunch of new, high-quality public facilities, and is priced a noticeable bit lower than comparable units elsewhere in the core. Not everyone will want to live here, but the idea that NO ONE will want to live here because of the 'dirty immigrants' and 'black people' (I'm translating your terminology) is offensive and doesn't reflect the Toronto I know. The presence of poor people doesn't make a slum, the isolation of poor people does. I think an integration of income-levels will make this neighbourhood unrecognizable from the one that has accumulated so much stigma over the last decades.

Even pre-revitalization, 'playing' in Regent Park wasn't that bad (i.e. walking through, hockey on the Shuter pad, and ... stretching things... Moss Park arena, field, John Innes pool). It was the crappy buildings, crappy shops and drug dealers that were the issue. As for the family of 9 and their cooking smells... well, that's the same as a condo at City Place, isn't it, except the problem is some kids having a party 'til 4am? A decent apartment building/condo is still an apartment building/condo. You've got to accept the neighbours.

Where do you live? Regent Park.

No thanks. I would be very skeptical before investing in this area especially at these prices. I'm not convinced this plan will work. Remember the first proposal for regent park? Sounded pretty similar. Demolish the old buildings and bring in the new. Even if they make this area mixed use housing this area will still be a hot bed for poverty and gang activity. I would not drop $400k on a condo to be standing in an elevator with some gang beaters, people of questionable smell and a Pakistani family of 9.

People of questionable smell? Really? A Pakistani family of 9? Come on man, its 2011! (By the way, even European decedents used to have large families of 9 or more, and its traditional in many ethnicities lifestyles still. I think a lot of the large families tradition has to do with the agrarian society that dominated the world for the last few millenniums. ) :rolleyes:

Last edited:
People of questionable smell? Really? A Pakistani family of 9? Come on man, its 2011! (By the way, even European decedents used to have large families of 9 or more, and its traditional in many ethnicities lifestyles still. I think a lot of the large families tradition has to do with the agrarian society that dominated the world for the last few millenniums. ) :rolleyes:

And religion.

Does "people of questionable smell" include the guys at Cityplace drenched in Axe?

When Regent Park was built, the people of questionable smell would more likely have been Newfie or Maritimer than Pakistani.

Where do you live? Regent Park.

No thanks. I would be very skeptical before investing in this area especially at these prices. I'm not convinced this plan will work. Remember the first proposal for regent park? Sounded pretty similar. Demolish the old buildings and bring in the new. Even if they make this area mixed use housing this area will still be a hot bed for poverty and gang activity. I would not drop $400k on a condo to be standing in an elevator with some gang beaters, people of questionable smell and a Pakistani family of 9.

The hell is wrong with you?

From Monday. I was very surprised to see two of the Dickinson designed high-rises south of Dundas abandoned and fenced off, awaiting demolition. I had no idea that those large towers were set to be torn down as well. I must admit though that walking around there was a pretty eerie experience. I can totally see why these sorts of housing developments are now considered a complete failure, as they feel like prisons, cut off from the rest of the city and society. Bring on the re-integrated street grid and fresh, modern buildings.

Huzzah! agreed

May 12, 2011.

5719125719_ef53779bb7_b.jpg

5719687726_995f546138_b.jpg

You guys are nuts. Sure it's a "great idea" when it's not your money. How many people here have actually bought a unit here AND plan to live in it. This area has Toronto's highest poverty rate, crime rate, murder rate etc.. AND it has the lowest income rate of any area in Toronto. You cannot compare this area to St. Lawrence market or any other areas mentioned. First off the St. Lawrence market area does not have the huge stigma and poor reputation of regent park. 2nd St. Lawrence market area was never 100% subsidized housing. It's a big mix. Lastly St. Lawrence market has a well planned and developed infrastructure. Tons of shops, bars and restaurants in the area.

Putting up new buildings is not going to solve the areas crime problems. People need education and jobs, not new buildings. There is no way I would buy a place here to live in or even as investment when there are so many competitively priced alternatives in the city. Please someone explain to me why you want to live in Regent Park? What is the attraction? Why is this area desirable now?

Back