Toronto Paintbox | ?m | 26s | Daniels | Diamond Schmitt

No, 6-7 years ago there was the Wellesley hospital which i think was taller and bigger.

Nope, the hospital was 10 floors.

Fortunately the Toronto Star building's been the city's only major loss when you go in terms of beauty and height alone.

Last edited:
Hey Ed, I noticed that two of those buildings are going down but there seems to be about 4 or 5 similar buildings in that complex. Are they leaving a few of them alone? I would think if they are building a state of the art Arts and Cultural Centre, an oldish building would detract from the appearance?

Another update of Regent Park's arts centre & aquatic centre.
[video=youtube;ey13bvdDYQQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey13bvdDYQQ[/video]

An interesting parking place!

Attachments

• IMG-20110320-00047.jpg
    IMG-20110320-00047.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 309
Hey Ed, I noticed that two of those buildings are going down but there seems to be about 4 or 5 similar buildings in that complex. Are they leaving a few of them alone? I would think if they are building a state of the art Arts and Cultural Centre, an oldish building would detract from the appearance?

Those buildings you noticed are likely part of the next phase of redevelopment. Some of the units are occupied by people displaced from TCHC buildings demolished during phase 1. They can't evict the tenants until enough of Phase 2 is complete for them to move in to.
Everything old in this neighbourhood, except the churches, will eventually be replaced.

Last edited:
thanks torontovibe for the video
and thanks Jonny for the comments. I was under the impression that not all the building would be torn down. I was just walking up Parliament today from Dundas and noticed such a dramatic change from the new buildings at Dundas, to the old ones just south of Gerard to the quaintness of Cabbagetown north of Gerrard with the busy shoppers and numerous stores. If hope they do demolish those old building between Oak and Gerrard. But it would be really cool if they built some street level stores that merged into the ones in Cabbagetown. It would raise the profile of the area and give it a more unified feel. As for east of Parliament on Dundas, it seems the Arts and Cultural Centre and the future park is going to take care of a lot of that area until they demolish the area just west of River. Seems like things are coming together, its going to take time, a lot of area to work on. But looking really good.

Last edited:
This seems to be going up fast. It looks to be fairly large too.
[video=youtube;PxNmeeyf9Z8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxNmeeyf9Z8[/video]

Does anyone know when they are planning to tear down the old townhomes across the street from Paintbox/Arts and Cultural Centre and start working on the park? I think that secondary to Paintbox, this is one of the most exciting parts of the redevelopment.

We took a bit of a tour around Regent Park construction recently, and we have some shots, and some renderings, of some of the Phase Two work currently underway.

We'll start with Paintbox, and the Regent Park Arts & Cultural Centre, on the south side of Dundas west of Sackville Street. The two are bring built together by The Daniels Corporation, and are designed by Diamond + Schmitt Architects. Right now they are working on the third floor generally, which means that they don't have too much further to go up with the Arts & Cultural Centre, but there are still another 23 floors to go with Paintbox. Here's what it looks like now.

PaintboxConstNW.jpg

Craig White

PaintboxConstSE.jpg

Craig White

PaintboxConstE.jpg

Craig White

RegentPkArtsCtrConst.jpg

Craig White

Here's what the pair will look like when complete; first, the colourfully accented Arts & Cultural Centre. (That's Paintbox in behind of course.) We'll start wide and close in for some detail.

RegentPkArtsCtr750.jpg

Diamond and Schmitt Architects

RegentPkArtsCtrEntry750.jpg

RegentPkArtsCtrBalc750.jpg

We'll back out again.

RegentPkArtsCtrClose750.jpg

Evening settles over the whole complex. Here's a low-res shot so most everyone will be able to see all of Paintbox on their screen at once, then we'll go higher-res, and then go in for some detail.

PaintboxEvening375.jpg

PaintboxEvening750.jpg

The Dundas frontage.

PaintboxDundas750.jpg

The Sackville frontage.

PaintboxSackville750.jpg

Paintbox's roof will be striped with colour: LEDs will identify Paintbox's central location within Regent Park from afar.

PaintboxTop750.jpg

Phase Two is mostly south of Dundas Street, but it also includes the park being constructed at the heart of the redevelopment on the north side of Dundas.

RegentPkNewPark.jpg

This early Regent Park housing still has to come down for the park. This building sits where the plan above says 'Picnic Area' and 'Entry Plaza'.

RegentPkDemolition2.jpg

Craig White

RegentPkDemolition.jpg

Craig White

The east side of the park will be home to the Regent Park Aquatic Centre. Here's what it looks like now,

RegentPkAquaCtr.jpg

Craig White

And here's how it will look when complete:

RegentPkAquaCtr750.jpg

maclennan jaunkalns miller architects

RegentPkAquaCtrClose750.jpg

maclennan jaunkalns miller architects

We'll get more in depth with all of these buildings in the coming months.

Last edited:

Back