Toronto Paintbox | ?m | 26s | Daniels | Diamond Schmitt

While I like these buildings the implementation was obviously flawed. I can't wait for the day the Regent Park name is no longer stigmatized.

The architecture is fine. Concentrate disadvantaged people in any architecture and you'll have similar problems (see Victorian slum which this modernist plan replaced). This physical architecture is certainly more humane, even luxurious in its ample public space, etc, than that selling for top dollar elsewhere in the city. Very little has been learned...

It's unfortunate these have to go down because they're probably one of the nicest looking (... well they're unique for one thing) apartment buildings in the entire city from that era. We'll regret doing this in 20-30 years no doubt. Just like we did with the Victorians previous to these. Whatever.

Quite nice. I have no idea why developments here are so much better than those around the city.

How is this development any different from the bland stuff uptown or on lakeshore? I'm confused; just don't see it.

The overall massing and use of materials is a bit better than those towers going up around the lakeshore or uptown.

It feels like a more urban type of development, much like the developments going up in the Donlands.

The website says "just steps to the trendiest areas in the city" What areas are they referring to?

The website says "just steps to the trendiest areas in the city" What areas are they referring to?

On top of what UD said, it's not too far to Leslieville or the Danforth, either. It's only around a 15 minute walk to Dundas Square from there, too.

EDIT: Let's not forget Dundas and Sherborne.

Last edited:
Oh I get it, it's called paintbox because all the creativity meant for the building was instead hidden in a box.

... and talking of Regent Park as an arts district, there's also the Citadel building at 304 Parliament, home to the Coleman Lemieux dance company ( they performed at Harbourfront last week ), a building renovated for them by Diamond + Schmitt. Their Breaking Ground dance project used the construction sites:

http://www.colemanlemieux.com/en/in_situ.html

It's the Sackville cul-de-sac just north of Shuter. From what I can tell, everything except for the row of buildings to the left has been cleared away so that Sackville can be reconnected to the north. I know these buildings have little to no architectural merit.

While they aren't Dickinson, I can't quite dismiss their merit--they were CMHC's standard 1950s public-housing townhouse type (also found at Lawrence Heights and a few other spots), and have a pleasant "ScandiBritish" feel to them...

And I'll say one thing on behalf of the Dickinson demolition--at least it's by conventional means, rather than showboating via controlled implosion (which seems *wasteful*, somehow)

Back