Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

1) The relief potential of the Relief Line is highly dependent on its speed advantage compared to a trip on Line 1 and Line 2 via Bloor-Yonge Station. If you reduce that time advantage with more stations, you reduce the relief capacity.

2) A station between Regent Park (Sumach) and Pape was cut for cost savings.

I think as long as there are no more stations on the DRL, it will not affect its relieving. What is more important that the DRL goes east-west through the areas where people want to go. People will easily endure a delay from an extra stop, but will not put up with a long walk.

^personally, if the relief line takes 10 minutes less but takes 5 minutes more in walking, i'll be taking the relief line every time. I know many aren't like that though, the type who take the subway 1 stop up to dundas from the queen streetcar.

• Via Pape
    • Danforth (Pape station)
    • Gerrard
  • Via Queen and/or Eastern and/or Richmond
    • Broadview
    • Sumach
    • Sherbourne
    • City Hall

That stop spacing is wider than the Bloor-Danforth Line and even exceeds that of the central tunneled section of the Eglinton Crosstown Line (Dufferin to Mt Pleasant). Sherbourne/Queen to Bay/Queen for instance is 1200 metres. Someone should explain to us why the most densely populated area of the City gets suburbia type stop spacing when every 600 metres ought to be the norm.

What makes sense would be as follows:
  • Danforth
  • Gerrard Square
  • Carlaw
  • Broadview
  • River
  • Parliament
  • Jarvis
  • Yonge
  • Osgoode
The argument that a DRL has to have as few stops as possible to encourage the most people to ride it is weak sauce. People desiring to get on and off at those stops/destinations are what's going to fill up trains.

The argument that a DRL has to have as few stops as possible to encourage the most people to ride it is weak sauce. People desiring to get on and off at those stops/destinations are what's going to fill up trains.

We don't want full trains. Full trains, on Yonge, are the problem being solved.

The potential alignments that the city is examining have identified a potential station at Queen and Pape, but only one to two stations between the Don and Yonge.

I agree three would be desirable, but doing two interchange stations instead might do it justice to address the large gaps between the Don and Yonge.

zm6isRm.jpg

If the Sherbourne stop is built at Moss Park, can we not just count that as two stations? The platform would nearly stretch from Sherbourne to Jarvis, serving both streets at once.

If the Sherbourne stop is built at Moss Park, can we not just count that as two stations? The platform would nearly stretch from Sherbourne to Jarvis, serving both streets at once.

The smart thing to do if you want to adequate serve both streets is to center the platform on George St (the midblock) with exits at either ends of the platform (west for Jarvis; east for Sherbourne). A third exit in the center could lead into an underground portal that stretches down to George Brown College. Doing such would permit the existence of a Parliament Stn down the road and be better for the community overall.

A Sherbourne/Jarvis station and a Sumach/Parliament station are more than enough. Just make sure the entrances are at either end of the platform with stairs heading in the direction of the main streets.

That stop spacing is wider than the Bloor-Danforth Line and even exceeds that of the central tunneled section of the Eglinton Crosstown Line (Dufferin to Mt Pleasant). Sherbourne/Queen to Bay/Queen for instance is 1200 metres. Someone should explain to us why the most densely populated area of the City gets suburbia type stop spacing when every 600 metres ought to be the norm.

What makes sense would be as follows:
  • Danforth
  • Gerrard Square
  • Carlaw
  • Broadview
  • River
  • Parliament
  • Jarvis
  • Yonge
  • Osgoode

As someone who always complain about the small spacing of TTC, I agree one stop between Bay and DVP is too few. Downtown East is intensifying rapidly in the next decade, and two stops are completely necessary. I also think that it will be stupid to consider the DRL a pure commuter line for rush hour commutes from and to the suburbs. The Queen East section in particular should be used to help revitalize a long neglected and rundown part of downtown.

As someone who always complain about the small spacing of TTC, I agree one stop between Bay and DVP is too few.

Where do we get one station? They are talking two. One at Sherbourne and one at Sumach. Putting the entrances at either end of the platforms basically covers the entire area quite well. Very different from Bloor/Danforth where the stations were initially built with only one entrance basically in the middle of the platform.

When the original Yonge Street Subway was built, it was rare to include a secondary entrance. There were some like Queen, but others had secondary entrances added later, like King.

Today, there are still stations that have only one entrance, but should have a secondary entrance built onto them. The Eglinton West station has only one entrance, but the platform extends north. An entrance could be built to a pedestrian bridge between Whitmore Avenue and Old Forest Hill Road. But the city would rather have the pedestrian walk all the way to Eglinton Avenue itself instead.

Eglinton West.jpg

Attachments

• Eglinton West.jpg
    Eglinton West.jpg
    671.7 KB · Views: 600
Where do we get one station? They are talking two. One at Sherbourne and one at Sumach. Putting the entrances at either end of the platforms basically covers the entire area quite well. Very different from Bloor/Danforth where the stations were initially built with only one entrance basically in the middle of the platform.

My mistake and I agree those two are enough. I really don't want to see 300/400m spacing on this. But it is weird this doesn't interchange with Queen station? Hope they will be connected.

I agree. This is not the subway to go cheap on.

@TheTigerMaster is correct in saying that the time savings matters for maximizing relief, but I think this is a moot point once the subway gets extended north to Sheppard and provides for real relief.

City Planning officials have said however that they are emphasizing station entrances more than station platform locations. So it is not strictly 'just' at Sherbourne.
whats the difference?

Back