Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Guess this map is in error. (Click on the map for the full image.)

03_OP_ROW_DEC2010.png

Guess this map is in error. (Click on the map for the full image.)

I'm digressing from the point that was being debated....but wow, I'm surprised at a lot of the colours on this map. I'm sure the surveyors got it right, but in some cases the property line would be way up some folks' front lawns.....and I'm not sure they'd be too thrilled. In other cases, there's a ton of clear space on either side of the roadway.

- Paul

Dundas has a bike lane which I guess is how it ended up two lane as opposed to four lane Gerrard. But even if reverted and some widening done there is a pillar in the Dundas LSE bridge which is not so easily dealt with, plus overhead is likely to mean a reduction below the already ungenerous height clearance,

I'm digressing from the point that was being debated....but wow, I'm surprised at a lot of the colours on this map. I'm sure the surveyors got it right, but in some cases the property line would be way up some folks' front lawns.....and I'm not sure they'd be too thrilled. In other cases, there's a ton of clear space on either side of the roadway.
On my street, most of the front lawns are city property. Probably true on Dundas.

Though offhand, I'm hardpressed to think where the existing paved street from Broadview to Carlaw is narrow than Gerrard Street from Broadview to Carlaw - which has streetcars on just fine. Was there a particular block you had in mind?

- Paul

The City usually owns a huge portion of people's front lawns. It's not unusual at all for the city to own half or two thirds of "your" front lawn.

Was there a particular block you had in mind?

Like I said, I was digressing from the Dundas question. I was struck by Scarlett/Dixon being 27-30 meters, Islington is only 27 meters where Kipling is 36.

The relevance to the current discussion is, the stated/surveyed lot line may not be the best metric of where streetcar lanes are actually doable. Try wrestling some of that 27 meters away from residents on Royal York Road!

In the City proper, I would not deviate from those routes that currently have streetcar tracks, unless absolutely necessary.

- Paul

Try wrestling some of that 27 meters away from residents on Royal York Road!
Not sure I've ever driven up there, north of the QEW.

Oh my ... hard to believe they haven't utilized that 27-metre ROW when Woodbine has 5 lanes in it's 20-metre ROW!

upload_2016-4-11_11-30-9.png

In the City proper, I would not deviate from those routes that currently have streetcar tracks, unless absolutely necessary.
I don't think small changes near new subway stations are out-of-order. We are talking about a few short blocks on Dundas, not putting a streetcar line on Dundas to Kingston Road!

Attachments

• upload_2016-4-11_11-30-9.png
    upload_2016-4-11_11-30-9.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 559
The relevance to the current discussion is, the stated/surveyed lot line may not be the best metric of where streetcar lanes are actually doable. Try wrestling some of that 27 meters away from residents on Royal York Road!

If I were dictator they'd wake up in the morning to find half their yard missing. I'd get stuff done around here.

Good thing I'm not dictator.

Hard to believe we would build a new downtown subway with only one stop downtown at Sherbourn. I recognize there is a cost - but it would make way more sense to me to have stops at Jarvis and Parliament. I would also have two stops in Queen east in Riverdale and more then one stop in the northward run all the way up to the Danforth. I get this would cost a lot more - but if we are building something for the future it only makes sense to build it right.

I am honestly hoping I get a (scathing) comment back that this was addressed 15 pages ago on this thread and the current preferred corridor is very preliminary and more stops/costing is to come later (and experts assure us there will be a useful number of stops.

http://reliefline.ca/uploads/Internal/PresentationImages/Corridors/Corridor B1 cropped.jpg

I am honestly hoping I get a (scathing) comment back that this was addressed 15 pages ago on this thread and the current preferred corridor is very preliminary and more stops/costing is to come later (and experts assure us there will be a useful number of stops.

1) The relief potential of the Relief Line is highly dependant on its speed advantage compared to a trip on Line 1 and Line 2 via Bloor-Yonge Station. If you reduce that time advantage with more stations, you reduce the relief capacity.

2) A station between Regent Park (Sumach) and Pape was cut for cost savings.

Hard to believe we would build a new downtown subway with only one stop downtown at Sherbourn. I recognize there is a cost - but it would make way more sense to me to have stops at Jarvis and Parliament. I would also have two stops in Queen east in Riverdale and more then one stop in the northward run all the way up to the Danforth. I get this would cost a lot more - but if we are building something for the future it only makes sense to build it right.

http://reliefline.ca/uploads/Internal/PresentationImages/Corridors/Corridor B1 cropped.jpg
I agree. This is not the subway to go cheap on.

@TheTigerMaster is correct in saying that the time savings matters for maximizing relief, but I think this is a moot point once the subway gets extended north to Sheppard and provides for real relief.

City Planning officials have said however that they are emphasizing station entrances more than station platform locations. So it is not strictly 'just' at Sherbourne.

Back