Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

I personally dislike the yonge subway portion below eglinton and above bloor. Too many stops. I don't know how they got built except for St Clair and Davisville. This is also where the train starts to slow down. Give me an option to bypass them I will take it. Unfortunately the DRL doesn't even go up to Eglinton not to mention Sheppard.

I'm assuming that the Relief Line will be a heavy rail line. If so, I'll expect that connections will be made with the existing lines. Likely at least one will be at Danforth with Line 2 (Pape?). What about Line 1? Would there be connections at Yonge Street and/or University Avenue?

And what about the extensions? Would there be a connection with Line 4 (Sheppard)? Would there be another connection with Line 2 near Dundas West?

Could they be used to bypass sections of the lines under reconstruction or maintenance?

Having only one connection with the existing lines would be a mistake. Additional connections should be included.

Its possible the connection to line1 will be underground walkways to both Queen and Osgoode as city hall station is in the middle.

I personally dislike the yonge subway portion below eglinton and above bloor. Too many stops. I don't know how they got built except for St Clair and Davisville.

Like many public works in the mid-20th century, they got built as a political favour to the rich people who live around Rosedale and Summerhill stations. Same with Castle Frank.

The difference with the Relief Line is that it passes through neighbourhoods that are dense enough to support 400m stop spacing, and it can be backed up with a planning rationale.

I personally dislike the yonge subway portion below eglinton and above bloor. Too many stops. I don't know how they got built except for St Clair and Davisville. This is also where the train starts to slow down. Give me an option to bypass them I will take it. Unfortunately the DRL doesn't even go up to Eglinton not to mention Sheppard.

Ideally Rosedale and Summerhill stations should be combined into one, the density is simply not there, but it is what it is now.

When the original Yonge Street Subway was built, it was rare to include a secondary entrance. There were some like Queen, but others had secondary entrances added later, like King.

Today, there are still stations that have only one entrance, but should have a secondary entrance built onto them. The Eglinton West station has only one entrance, but the platform extends north. An entrance could be built to a pedestrian bridge between Whitmore Avenue and Old Forest Hill Road. But the city would rather have the pedestrian walk all the way to Eglinton Avenue itself instead.

View attachment 72527

There's a few more deserving stations if we wanted to get onto that topic. Lawrence West and Summerhill, for example.

Its possible the connection to line1 will be underground walkways to both Queen and Osgoode as city hall station is in the middle.

I believe this was the assumption. I guess it makes sense, creating one stop to zip in and out of downtown and saving a minute or two.

I believe this was the assumption. I guess it makes sense, creating one stop to zip in and out of downtown and saving a minute or two.

I'd like to see something similar to the Red Line in Chicago, where it's basically one long centre platform. Either that, or have the long connection be at the concourse level instead of the platform level, and have it connect to/be part of PATH. The trains themselves would stop between Bay and York, but the platform or concourse level walkways would extend to from Yonge to University.

Summerhill will come in handy if there's ever a midtown GO line, as will Dupont.

probably so, but one, it was not because of this reason the station was built, and two, this GO line won't happen in the next 20 years considering how low the density the area along Dupont is. It is nothing but two story houses. It is another story is Spadina Road and Dupont can be greatly intensified in the future but we are far from there yet.

I personally dislike the yonge subway portion below eglinton and above bloor. Too many stops. I don't know how they got built except for St Clair and Davisville.
Like many public works in the mid-20th century, they got built as a political favour to the rich people who live around Rosedale and Summerhill stations. Same with Castle Frank.
That, and the fact that that was just how you built subways back then. They were a complete streetcar replacement service. It wasn't until 1968 with the opening of Warden station that you start to see "suburban" stop spacing.

probably so, but one, it was not because of this reason the station was built, and two, this GO line won't happen in the next 20 years considering how low the density the area along Dupont is. It is nothing but two story houses. It is another story is Spadina Road and Dupont can be greatly intensified in the future but we are far from there yet.

Summerhill (and servicing it via the Midtown line) has always been planned as a relief station, diverting riders from Union. I could very well see Milton line trains being diverted off of the Lower Galt and terminating at Summerhill/a point east instead whenever an infrastructure solution comes about.

20 years? The Big Move still calls for a Midtown line in the 15-year timeframe (and that was first published in 2008, so by 2023). Priorities have changed with RER and the infrastructure challenge is huge, but with a new federal government, anything can happen.

To bring relevance to the topic, should a Midtown line interchange with the Relief line?

The density along the Dupont corridor isn't of much relevance. The stop spacing along that stretch will be likely closer to commuter rail. For example, the next station west of Dupont would probably be Dufferin. Dupont and Summerhill stations would function more as gateways than destinations. There isn't a lot of density around Kennedy (and until recently, Kipling), but they're both very well used stations. The surroundings of every station don't need to look like Sheppard & Yonge in order to be successful.

To bring relevance to the topic, should a Midtown line interchange with the Relief line?

Yes. The north end of the Science Centre DRL platform should come close to the CP corridor north of Eglinton. The end result would look kind of like a sideways H, with the Eglinton LRT platform being the 3rd.

Another thing I just thought about: I have been assuming platforms would be ~150m long for ~140m long 6-car TRs. But who says they will be 6 cars long? Maybe they will want to future-proof the line and make them longer.

Longer trains and longer platforms will make a nice fit in some areas.

A Sherbourne/Jarvis station and a Sumach/Parliament station are more than enough. Just make sure the entrances are at either end of the platform with stairs heading in the direction of the main streets.

Sumach is as far from Parliament as Parliament is from Sherbourne though. It would be easy to fit in a Parliament Stn in the middle of Jarvis and River (the "Sumach" Stn could be positioned to have exits facing Sumach and River at either end of the platform).

The difference with the Relief Line is that it passes through neighbourhoods that are dense enough to support 400m stop spacing, and it can be backed up with a planning rationale.

Precisely. The DRL should not be treated as just some express line running through low density sprawl. Not only will it run through the densest parts of the city, but something people keep forgetting that is crucial to keep in mind is that the population of downtown is projected to explode in the next 25 years. Not building more stations would be incredibly short-sighted. If there's one transit project in this city to go big on and spare no expense, it's this one.

400 m stop spacing is essential.

Back