Toronto OnePark West | ?m | 13s | Daniels | Core Architects

Re: Regent Park and Don Mount (D-Day)

A small update (and long overdue). This is important, as the last building in Phase I is coming down, the largest, 9-floor slab "on" Oak Street.

RPAug1.jpg

RPAug2.jpg

RPAug3.jpg

RPAug4.jpg

RPAug5.jpg

Note that in this pic you can see the outline of the cruciform foundation of a demolished 3-floor building.

RPAug6.jpg

Thanks spm, your postings is much appreciated.

It's still a little surreal to see Regent Park come down after years of talk.

AoD

Regent Park Update - aA/Diamond+Schmitt/Teeple!

From Toronto Community Housing Corporation:

www.torontohousing.ca/ImageLibrary/2006-18RegentUpdateAugust2006All_1533178182006.pdf

Daniels is going to retain Diamond+Schmitt for Block 13 and 14 mid/high rise buildings

The aA building is going to be 22/8s, seniors/family building + energy plant. Construction starting in October.

Teeple Architect has been selected for a 60 unit building at 60 Richmond, Concept drawing in September.

Large rendering of the aA building is also in the report.

AoD

The rendering shows the building in the middle of a park. I thought they were trying to get away from this type of planning for the area.

Alvin, you should know better. There's an official thread for RP.

The site plan just above the rendering shows that everything is actually going to be built in pretty close quarters, rendering notwithstanding.

Renderings of the Etobicoke waterfront condos of a few years ago showed all those buildings in the midst of a verdant wilderness shangri-la, and look what happened there.

Edit: It is possible that this view is from the east side of Sackville Street. Is that where the new internal park will be located?

What a nice render.

Bill, the rendering shows a park that doesn't show up on the site plan. There might be a park adjacent, but the building's not going to be in the middle of it.

In general terms, the Regents Park redevelopment doesn't do away with parks; it just doesn't trap them inside developments like it used to.

Thanks for that update Alvin, I almost forgot about Regent Park. Since moving to the West end I don’t see that side of the city as habitually as I once did. As for the Tower it looks promising, I hope that the base will house some retail to help bring life into the area.
RegentParkTower.jpg

spm:

Actually I do - the only reason why I started a new thread is the fact that there is info on specific buildings that weren't available before.

AoD

Oh, I know, but I thought the point of official threads is that everything concerning each individual project would be in one place.

This should have gone into the official thread. Will fix this evening.

Here's an image I found of Regent Park Buildings being destroyed - only the last time around, with a "new" building visible in the background.

RegentPark.jpg

Do you think this sort of redevelopment strategy could work for TCHC's properties in Rexdale, Jane/Finch and Malvern?

Apparently Lawrence Heights (Allen and Lawrence) is next on the hit list.

Back