Toronto OnePark West | ?m | 13s | Daniels | Core Architects

Re: Regent Park and Don Mount

That would be the Toronto, the downtown of which, particularly east downtown (Yonge to the Don River) has been relegated to public housing, rooming houses and homeless shelters

Nonsense. Only someone who knows nothing of the city would write this about the area that contains all the new downtown apartments, St. Lawrence, Cabagetown...

Nonsense. Only someone who knows nothing of the city would write this about the area that contains all the new downtown apartments, St. Lawrence, Cabagetown...
You said it, "new", which is exactly what I'm saying, the new and newly reinvigorated areas are fantastic.

Speaking of old...Canadian writer Hugh Garner called Cabbagetown "the largest Anglo-Saxon slum in North America" for good reason. Now, he was IIRC speaking more of the the original Cabbagetown now under Regent Park, however Don Vale (today's Cabbagetown) was certainly overcrowded with rooming houses and falling apart until the 1970s, when the early gentrifying pioneers moved in.

St. Lawrence, and your new downtown apartments, IIRC, did not exist when the downtown core was abandoned by the 1950 and 60's suburbanites. IMO, St. Lawrence's construction was the beginning of the downtown area's turnaround into what it is now becoming, a great place to live.

That's not what you wrote, of course.

That's not what you wrote, of course.
You are a peach Andrea....even if I try to address your comments by clarifying my own, you're not satisfied. :\

Which is it then - the area is fantastic, or everything east of Yonge is given over to bums and flophouses? You've written both.

The area was downtrodden, and overladden with public housing, homeless shelters and had become a magnet and ghetto for the nation's poor and marginalised, but is now fantastic, and becoming more so everyday.

I understood you the first time, Abeja... 8o

Star

Link to article

Banking on Regent Park
Royal Bank branch to anchor 16-storey condo in revitalization
Nov. 29, 2006. 05:27 AM
JENNIFER WELLS
BUSINESS COLUMNIST

Viewed from Martin Blake's 34th-floor window on Queen St., just west of Yonge, Regent Park is a miniaturist study. The grey of November washes over the horizon, its brittle and barren tree tops, its doll-sized real estate.

"You see the green dome of the church over there," Blake says, the splash of green useful in directing a visitor's gaze toward the vast revitalization of a neighbourhood.

Eight months ago, a walk along those streets — its major arteries and smaller laneways — made real what Derek Ballantyne, CEO of Toronto Community Housing Corp., called "the absence of those things that render a feel of completeness to a neighbourhood." One of the most yawning: the hollowing out of banking services. Where once there were 12 full-service bank branches, only one remained.

But lo, Mr. Blake has cheering news. As vice-president of project implementation for Daniels Corp., Blake is overseeing the Regent Park rebirth, Daniels Corp. having signed on in March as project developer for Phase 1 of the project. In partnership with TCHC, Daniels will build the brand-new marked-to-market condominiums, and brand new TCHC rent-geared-to-income housing and brand new commercial space, including, hallelujah, a brand-new full-service branch of the Royal Bank at the northwest corner of Regent St. and Dundas St. E. A binding letter of intent has been signed. Before Christmas, if all goes as planned, Daniels will be taking the building proposal before the project's design review committee, and then it's on to city hall with the site application. Construction is slated for the spring.

"We went to every major bank," says Blake of the proactive wooing of the financial community. "We sat down with them. We went through the plans that had been designed by TCHC. ... We outlined the parameters that we were looking for in partners, because it isn't just a question of a commercial lease with us, it's a partnership."

What residents will see: a 3,800-square-foot-or-so Royal Bank branch anchoring a 16-storey condominium, not unlike the branches one sees anchoring all those condos popping up on King St. W. "We see this as an opportunity to be part of an exciting and I would say historic redevelopment," says Alexis Mantell, RBC's communication manager for the greater Toronto region.

Both Mantell and Blake speak to the "partnership" issue: the Royal's recent involvement with an on-site job fair and the bank's commitment going forward to try to seed the new branch with employees from Regent Park.

This is all to the good.

Undoubtedly, the mixed-use form of the new neighbourhood helped make the business case. "Our goal," says Blake, "is to ensure that as you walk along you don't come to a block of all-market housing, or a block of all TCHC rent-geared-to-income housing. We want people to walk along and have no idea if they're looking at a rental or a market condominium. We don't want to repeat what you saw in Regent Park where everything looked similar."

The brick block uniformity, the isolation from the broader community, the streets that wind in on themselves as opposed to connecting with the world beyond, the near total absence of commercial activity. The list of failures is long and well told.

It is imperative that the housing and commercial mix be got right this time, and the banking community is an essential piece of that. Last spring, in an interview, Diana Taylor spoke of the need to connect the financial community with low-income neighbourhoods. Taylor is the superintendent of banking for the State of New York, and has made equitable and fairly priced financial services a priority. "Our whole motivation here is to get people into banks," she said. "It's a mechanism for saving money, and it's a really good way to get people into the financial system and building credit." A key element, in other words, in the revitalization of the individual within the revitalization of the broader community.

In the absence of conventional lenders, Regent Park and neighbourhoods like it have witnessed the profusion of cheque-cashing operations, including, it must be said, the Royal Bank's own Cash & Save operation, a non-deposit-taking, non-lending extension of the Royal which charges 1.99 per cent of the face value of the cheque, plus a 99-cent processing fee. It can be hoped a full-service branch of the Royal will render such an operation unnecessary.

The buzz is building. Daniels Corp. is talking to two of the national grocery chains, and hopes, says Blake, to make an announcement before Christmas as to which will be moving into Phase 1. The planned footprint would put the grocery store cheek-by-jowl with the bank. "They want to be here," says Blake of the potential commercial tenants. "We're not having to incentivize people to come into this area. They're not looking for breaks on lease rates or anything like that."

Next up: Very likely one of the coffee chains, followed by a fourth commercial tenant, the nature of which has not been decided upon.

But the story, insists Blake, is bigger than Regent Park. "People refer to the revitalization of Regent Park. I think it's more than that," he says. "I think it's the revitalization of the downtown east side. I think all of the commercial people are recognizing the huge potential."

"Everybody is very aware of the changes that are about to happen," echoes the Royal's Mantell.

Derek Ballantyne calls the Royal's decision a "real vote of confidence." A potent symbol, as I've said before, that was long overdue.

This would mark RBC's second new branch in the east-end (along with the new St. Lawrence Hall location).

There's also word of a TD Canada Trust branch opening at Queen E & Parliament sometime soon.

All bodes well for the neighbourhood.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that a big complaint from residents was the total lack of postal pick-up within the walls of Regent Park, as if Canada Post had given up on the area.

I can't wait to see the new Regent Park, if that's what it'll be called....hmmm....perhaps Cabbagetown South, or Corktown North would be more realtor friendly.

There's a big hole being excavated at the corner of Dundas and Sackville right now - I wonder if this is the new central heating plant or the senior's tower.

Re: Regent Park Update: Jan 15

They've been working on hoarding this week and yesterday it was finished - at least along Dundas.

Also, I didn't see it but I did hear it. There was some kind of boring or drilling into the ground further towards the west side of the lot too.

Daniels is expected to start on the condos where the earth is currently piled on the west side very soon

same scenario with the townhouses on the former police station's site

Lovely! Looks like I will have to go out there again soon with my camera as progress appears to be coming along.

Back