Toronto OnePark West | ?m | 13s | Daniels | Core Architects

The area is riddled with shelters and 'services' (i'll leave it at that).

Regent Park isn't going to improve anytime soon. The hookers and crack heads will simply have to walk on the other side of the street now.

Hey guys,

I need some simple help for an assignment I'm doing on this area.

Can anyone link me to the article (I thought it was here I saw it or it's gone now) about the new people moving into Regent Park and a hip, young guy (as portrayed in the article) who is living there now and represents, in the article, the new type of resident there who has no fears about the area's past. I think it shows him riding his bike in a photo in the article.

It was recent-- a month ago or two.

Thanks!

Ugh.

Does anyone have a Globe and Mail subscription whose info. I could use to access the article?

I need that article!

The pre-tender call is out for the Aquatic Centre (on north side of Dundas). From City tender site:

The general scope of the proposed project is as follows:

o Tender Date: February, 2010 (estimated)
o GFA: 31,000 square foot indoor pool building (new construction);
o includes a 6 lane x 25m training tank, leisure tank, water slide, warm water therapy tank, change rooms, staff offices, classroom space etc.;
o extensive sustainable “Green” features, including green roof;
o one story, steel framed structure;
o slab on grade (with partial basement) with conventional spread footings;
o glazing system and zinc wall panel system exterior;
o interior finishes and millwork of a high quality and level of detail;
o Total Site Area: 1.5 acres;
o associated hard and soft landscaping around the building.

The area is riddled with shelters and 'services' (i'll leave it at that).

Regent Park isn't going to improve anytime soon. The hookers and crack heads will simply have to walk on the other side of the street now.

My guess is that your generalizing a bit here, or expanding the definition of this area. Most of the shelters/hookers/crack-head activities are associated with the Moss Park neighbourhood and the Sherbourne to Jarvis stretch. While Regent Park isn't the greatest area, from living just south and walking through the area I can see that it indeed does have potential. Most of the worse activities are centred on the River St. side, and it too will be cleaned up. With Regent's proximity to Cabbagetown, Corktown, and the many new developments creeping up from every direction, it can't remain down-trodden forever. Parliament Street is safely walkable from its beginning all the way up to Bloor Street nowadays, but you certainly couldn't say that just a few years ago. This area of the city is definitely on the rise.

Back