Toronto OnePark West | ?m | 13s | Daniels | Core Architects

This is really a beautiful building, in form and materials.

I really like the grey, red brick contrast. Yes, the city has too much cheap grey aluminum but it seems to work here.

Oh man. Way too much grey on this. This whole project is kind of ugly though. The only good thing about it is the brick and the massing.

Matter of opinion....

I for one certainly don't think the new development is ugly by any stretch of the imgination. Does anyone actually remember what was there before? I'll take these new glass buildings any day of the week over what was there previously? Besides, the tower tower with the funky looking mechancial roof is sweet looking.

some people are never satisfied ...

these buildings wouldn't look out of place in King Street West / Freedville.

Oh man. Way too much grey on this. This whole project is kind of ugly though. The only good thing about it is the brick and the massing.

How can you possibly say this is ugly? I can understand differing opinions, and not being as enthusiastic about a particular project, but how is this ugly?

In fact, I rather like it, sans the streetcar wires. Man we should really bury those wires. Or bury the streetcars. Or something.

some people are never satisfied ...

It has nothing to do with that. It is simply overuse of GREY. And overuse of the same boring architecture over and over again.
No adventure or style at all. Just boring!
That's pretty typical of Toronto though. People just settle for less time and time again. So I think in Toronto it's more so that "people are always satisfied" with whatever is thrown up in front of them.

Actually, kristopher, maybe we have some taste. Have you been to cities that are more "demanding"? Not always so pleasant. You need to see more, browse less, pay attention to what you are seeing, and believe me, this won't seem so bad.

Though, I have to say, I walked around this complex a few days ago and thought its presence on Parliament was not very strong - lots of nothing happening at the street level, which I thought disconcerting.

It has nothing to do with that. It is simply overuse of GREY. And overuse of the same boring architecture over and over again.
No adventure or style at all. Just boring!
That's pretty typical of Toronto though. People just settle for less time and time again. So I think in Toronto it's more so that "people are always satisfied" with whatever is thrown up in front of them.

Cityplace is an overuse of grey on a much larger and more depressing scale than this.

RP has varied a) form b) height c) materials d) architects e) uses.

There seems to be an overuse of grey on every new building going up in this city. Must everything be grey? The Regent Park buildings look pretty good but every single building so far, has lots of grey.

It seems developers in this city are afraid to make other colour choices. Using grey is just the safe, easy choice. Is it really that hard to find other colours that work well together or do developers believe that Torontonians will not live in buildings that aren't grey, blueish grey, greenish grey and charcoal grey? I'm sure in time, we will look back and see this as a big mistake. All this grey is just making this city look bland and dreary. (especially on dreary, grey winter days)

There seems to be an overuse of grey on every new building going up in this city. Must everything be grey? The Regent Park buildings look pretty good but every single building so far, has lots of grey.

It seems developers in this city are afraid to make other colour choices. Using grey is just the safe, easy choice. Is it really that hard to find other colours that work well together or do developers believe that Torontonians will not live in buildings that aren't grey, blueish grey, greenish grey and charcoal grey? I'm sure in time, we will look back and see this as a big mistake. All this grey is just making this city look bland and dreary. (especially on dreary, grey winter days)

Maybe all the developers in the city should be forced to go on Colour Confidential to choose their building colours.

If anything, we're traditionally a red brick city - and the new Regent Park reflects that, too. I'm not averse to grey becoming the new red, since the judicious use of neutrals makes other colours pop all the more. We see smart slashes of small amounts of contrasting colour on Madame X, for instance. Her beau, Mr. Casa, is a strong, silent neutral - the owners will provide colour contrast depending on what they do with their balconies; in the lobby, mostly neutral wood tones will be accented by the vibrant blue room. Giraffe will have small amounts of exterior colour set into a neutral, sculptural form. The windowsills of the Sharp Centre are small, bright patches of colour. Lightbox, meanwhile, is a symphony of layered neutrals. And neutrals, being polite, can also bring sculptural elements to the fore - the balconies at 75 Portland, for instance, or the form of Pier27, or that Giraffe. With the exception of 60 Lofts, grey Freedville is defined by restraint and understatement and the repetition of neutral forms - rather pleasingly, many think. Visually, Telus, Corus and Murano are about grey glass and how it changes with ambient lighting throughout the day. None of this diminishes the successful use of bolder colour combinations, since it's all about how well colours are used - rather than putting one of them in particular off-limits.

Back