Sept 6, 2020

20200906_102936.jpg
20200906_102943.jpg
20200906_103033.jpg
20200906_103137.jpg
20200906_103154.jpg
20200906_103247.jpg
20200906_103303.jpg

I'm repeating myself but I look forward to the news that Richard Wengle will be commissioned to design the 49 storey 'Robert Stern-esque' new UrbanToronto headquarters at Yonge and St. Clair.

He's already designed the perfect base, just need to add the tower.

28322-85619.jpeg

UT

While hardly the worst thing that Dick Wang has foisted upon us, it's still just awkwardly proportioned and stumpy. You also have to love the mullion-heavy, 'premium', window wall...

"Dick Wang"?? Someone fire his marketing department.

Last edited:
I'm fine with RW buildings in these sorts of areas (Forest Hill, Deer Park, Rosedale, Summerhill, etc.). They fit in with all the local period-inspired homes, some by RW himself.

I'm fine with RW buildings in these sorts of areas (Forest Hill, Deer Park, Rosedale, Summerhill, etc.). They fit in with all the local period-inspired homes, some by RW himself.

I wouldn't mind seeing some of these plopped down in Etobicoke in the Home Smith area.

Why is the cladding on the first two storeys smoother than the floors above? At the base of the building, it should be more textured/more substantial and then maybe smooth out as it rises. This is yet more proof that really no one other than Robert A. M. Stern should be handling this kind of architectural expression, with the budget to match. Cut corners and the whole thing's just a kitschy mess. Oh, and the window wall is crap too.

Last edited:
Yeah the precast on the upper portion looks quite plasticky to me... They should have either tried to commit to limestone for the entire building or used the same precast on the lower sections as well.

I hear what you guys are saying but it's so easy to nitpick.They're using Global precast the best precast company in town, and I think that lines and the color is very sharp. The natural limestone they used on that ground floor must have cost them easily more than $1.5m so I don't think they were being "cheap". Also to do the whole thing is limestone is going to be crazy expensive plus it's not as fast as precast where you install one large panel. They would need to setup scaffolding all around the building, it would be time consuming and expensive.

I think they wanted to do something extra by doing that street level in limestone but I agree that it didn't help and the contrast is making the limestone look concrete color and upper level yellowish. But the good thing is in a few years the ground floor limestone is going to age really well and it will be awesome to look it.

However this is going to be a great looking building regardless. I can't think of another building with better precast execution. I feel bad complaining about a developer who is committed to building better and call it a "mess" or "crap". Take a look at the buildings across the street or down the street and tell me which ones you prefer to see more of.

Back