Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

There is a world of difference between Yonge and Bloor, and Jarvis Street.
Well, not that much difference in my opinion. Strictly speaking there is only one condo building on the corner of Yonge and Bloor, and there already was a discussion at some point what is or is not Yorkville, now we are going to be splitting hairs about what is or is not Bloor and Yonge. If you look at the condos on one the adjacent street Charles St from Jarvis to Yonge the situation with visitor parking is like that:

X2 - has visitor parking, 71 Charles also has few spots. Casa condominium 33 Charles St. East has extensive visitor parking, 45 Charles St. (Chaz) does not have visitor parking but it has a driveway where cars can pose for deliveries and pick ups.

The problem with 1 Bloor St. is that even deliveries are a problem and food delivery, for example, is a reality of modern life and convenience. I used to live in Manhattan for a long time and most recently Time square area. It was the tallest condo on the West side, and it is well known what parking and driving is like in Times Sq. Even there there was an arrangement for delivery vehicles to park and a special delivery elevator for these purposes. Not only visitor parking but even deliveries are a problem at 1 Bloor. And still Bloor and Yonge is not as populated and as expensive as Manhattan.

Also, even though the building was a bit shorter than 1 Bloor, they had a separate set of 3 elevators elevators for floors 1-35 and 3 elevators for the upper part of the building, + 1 elevator for deliveries and staff + 1 moving elevator. You never had to wait for an elevator. They also have an extensive space at the ground floor consisting of an adequate size lobby, 2 sets of elevators with separate lobbies, mail room for numerous parcels and deliveries, and laundry and dry cleaning drop off and pick up. The reason I am mentionning the New York condo is this.

First of all, when I was purchasing 1 Bloor condo nobody has worn me that Great Gulf had no prior experience with tall buildings. Just the opposite, the builder's portfolio was praised. If I was told that this was sort of an experiment, a learning experience for them - it would have been a different story. Why use this excuse now? It should have been disclosed in the sales office. The second reason goes back to planning. Very tall buildings exist for a very long time. No need to go very far - Toronto, CN tower, New York, and the rest of the world. Even if Great Gulf did not have experience, they could have studied architecture or rather functioning of tall residential buildings. And it is sort of common sense that tall buildings equal a large number of people coming and going, ordering things, getting deliveries, waiting in the lobby with suitcases etc - all this requires space. And it should not feel like a crowded hotel, which means even more space and thoughtful layout of common areas. I somehow believe that they have known this or should have known...I find it a poor excuse that they did not have experience, they are a good builder after all.

I think that there should be at least some short-term free visitor parking, may be 2-4 hours, at least for pick ups and deliveries, etc. For resident's convenience.

Last edited:
All you had to do is do a bit of research to tell that this was a first for Great Gulf. Not too many builders have a building of this magnitude in their portfolio. Great Gulf started out building houses, then went on to mid size and then larger scale condos, similar to Aspen Ridge. Point is it was easy to see that htis was their first kick at the can. The plans were also available long before. Nothing should be a surprise here aside from the extra long delays.

The elevator situation IMO is a city problem. Isn't it the city who determines the amount of elevators necessary? Maybe someone can correct me on that. Builder is going to pick the cheapest option which is why the requirements are so important. My building is 35 storeys and has 4 elevators. This is unheard of for a new building.

New York just has more money, more established developers with plenty of experience and the customers are more demanding.

I think you have to give a building some time to work things out. Maybe something will be worked out in the near future.

This is the second tallest residential building in Canada, and the third tallest is fairly far behind. There is only 1 other developer with a building this size in their Portfolio, Canderel.

There is a world of difference between Yonge and Bloor, and Jarvis Street.

I disagree. I would lump One Bloor East in with the 'Charles Street' neighbourhood of condos which includes the CASA buildings, Chaz and the X condos at Charles and Jarvis. Considering three of those buildings are GG, the amenities should be comparable.

Out of the 3 I have lived in, only 1 has had free visitor parking. the first one had a Green P on p1 that served as "visitor parking", the second was free, and my current building has paid visitor only parking (users have to be buzzed into the garage) that is about half the market rate in the area ($7/day when its about $15/day in the area).

Developers often sell off the visitor parking spaces to a commercial operator to make a bit of an extra buck. The zoning by-law does not require visitor parking to be free or available exclusively for "visitors" - which means it is entirely legal and quite common.

I think what angered some residents was the sheer amount of parking available for visitors already in the building, and justifiably so, it's a large multi-use building with lots of retail. The problem is that all of that parking is designated paid parking with no reduced parking prices for visitors of residents within the building.

Beyond that, the parking prices are astronomical, at $5.00 per 30 minutes or less; $25.00 Daily Maximum (8 a.m. to 8 p.m.); $12.00 Evening Flat (8 p.m. to 8 a.m.). There's a green P across the street that has cheaper rates, but of course, that's not convenient. Should I even have to ask that my guests pay $37.00 a day to visit?

So it's not just the fact that there are no spots, it's the very obvious price gouging too. There is something to be said about the location in that it is close to two subway lines and maybe is or isn't Yorkville. But the subway isn't accessible to all of my guests, and not all of them are within the TTC's limits.

As a newbie, I am not sure if this is the typical conversation we have on this forum, but I think as we encourage more people to accept density, those people are going to want to have guests that may not live in as dense areas. There is no use is having a nice downtown condo if you can't share that experience with friends and family.

I think what angered some residents was the sheer amount of parking available for visitors already in the building, and justifiably so, it's a large multi-use building with lots of retail. The problem is that all of that parking is designated paid parking with no reduced parking prices for visitors of residents within the building.

Beyond that, the parking prices are astronomical, at $5.00 per 30 minutes or less; $25.00 Daily Maximum (8 a.m. to 8 p.m.); $12.00 Evening Flat (8 p.m. to 8 a.m.). There's a green P across the street that has cheaper rates, but of course, that's not convenient. Should I even have to ask that my guests pay $37.00 a day to visit?

So it's not just the fact that there are no spots, it's the very obvious price gouging too. There is something to be said about the location in that it is close to two subway lines and maybe is or isn't Yorkville. But the subway isn't accessible to all of my guests, and not all of them are within the TTC's limits.

As a newbie, I am not sure if this is the typical conversation we have on this forum, but I think as we encourage more people to accept density, those people are going to want to have guests that may not live in as dense areas. There is no use is having a nice downtown condo if you can't share that experience with friends and family.
Some people are delusional. A private developer, who owns the said parking spots, decides to charge for visitor/public parking. What are you complaining about? GG doesn't owe anything to anyone but the owners of the units. Ok, maybe a bit to the city too, but public/visitor parking is not it.

Out of the 3 I have lived in, only 1 has had free visitor parking. the first one had a Green P on p1 that served as "visitor parking", the second was free, and my current building has paid visitor only parking (users have to be buzzed into the garage) that is about half the market rate in the area ($7/day when its about $15/day in the area).

Developers often sell off the visitor parking spaces to a commercial operator to make a bit of an extra buck. The zoning by-law does not require visitor parking to be free or available exclusively for "visitors" - which means it is entirely legal and quite common.

This is incorrect. Developers most certainly cannot "sell off" designated visitor parking spaces to a commercial operator -- if they are present (which they may not be in this building), visitor spaces form part of planning agreements. If a building is allowing non-visitors to use visitor spaces, they may be pursued by the City or charged under a zoning by-law in certain residential zones for operating "public parking", which is prohibited. If anybody is truly operating a public parking lot using visitor parking spaces or is not controlling who uses those spaces, I would make a complaint to the licensing / zoning departments of the City.

Having said that, some developers or buildings hire agencies or commercial operators to "enforce" visitor parking. It is a growing trend for these operators to charge for visitor parking under the guise of offsetting enforcement costs. In North York, charging for visitor parking has long been prohibited by zoning by-laws. This was extended to the entire City of Toronto by the harmonized zoning by-law 569-2013, though these provisions are currently under appeal at the OMB. If they are upheld, charging for visitor parking, if spots are designated as such, will be prohibited throughout the City, including this building.

There is no use is having a nice downtown condo if you can't share that experience with friends and family.

And you can't share it with them because they can't park for free? Seriously?

Some people are delusional. A private developer, who owns the said parking spots, decides to charge for visitor/public parking. What are you complaining about? GG doesn't owe anything to anyone but the owners of the units. Ok, maybe a bit to the city too, but public/visitor parking is not it.

I'm not sure that tone is needed. As many people have stated above, visitor parking is offered in other condos. I never stated that anything was owed, but many owners of the building do not like the way that it is currently set up. I think it is fair to cite something you do not like and why. I do not think it makes me delusional.

I'm adding something to a conversation, you can feel free to critique, but please back it up.

I'm not sure that tone is needed. As many people have stated above, visitor parking is offered in other condos. I never stated that anything was owed, but many owners of the building do not like the way that it is currently set up. I think it is fair to cite something you do not like and why. I do not think it makes me delusional.

I'm adding something to a conversation, you can feel free to critique, but please back it up.
Unless free visitor parking was stated in the agreement of purchase and sale, there is nothing to complain about. Owners are free to own somewhere else if they are dissatisfied. Sorry but this sense of entitlement is absurd.

Not all of my guests can afford those prices to park. I'm not against paying for parking (though I don't prefer it), that's just very expensive.

ttc.png

Unless free visitor parking was stated in the agreement of purchase and sale, there is nothing to complain about. Owners are free to own somewhere else if they are dissatisfied. Sorry but this sense of entitlement is absurd.

This is absolutely true. I'm new to the building and not an owner, just relaying what I've heard. As for above, I think I've mentioned that as great as the TTC is, it is not currently the pinnacle of accessibility.

Back