Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

What the heck is lake culture??

That would be the experience of a place as situated near the water. Boating, swimming, walking, looking, feeling near the lake. Toronto has been dissected from its lake, and the culture that has been produced is one of severe underuse of the lake. Many here even seem to refer to it as a toxic waste dump, and these type of jokes. Being from Vancouver I cannot understand how anyone would have ever let that happen. But, there is a chance to revive the connection to the lake, which is what I think the task of Toronto is for the 21st century. Its aspirations to being Manhattan will always fall short. Chicago combines somewhat of a feeling for the lake with a dense city, but I think Toronto can do better than that.

Whether architecture that is related to the water elementally can do that or not, is another question.

An urban symphony!

What a joy to walk by Yonge & Bloor this afternoon. Lots of buzz in the air, construction dust stinging my eyes and the sound of 2 shoring rigs tearing up the earth. Life is good.

Best. Post.Ever.......and what UT is all about.....Cheers!

That would be the experience of a place as situated near the water. Boating, swimming, walking, looking, feeling near the lake. Toronto has been dissected from its lake, and the culture that has been produced is one of severe underuse of the lake. Many here even seem to refer to it as a toxic waste dump, and these type of jokes. Being from Vancouver I cannot understand how anyone would have ever let that happen. But, there is a chance to revive the connection to the lake, which is what I think the task of Toronto is for the 21st century. Its aspirations to being Manhattan will always fall short. Chicago combines somewhat of a feeling for the lake with a dense city, but I think Toronto can do better than that.

Whether architecture that is related to the water elementally can do that or not, is another question.

I don't agree that Toronto has been bisected from the lake or that the lake is severely underused not that things couldn't be better. Lake Ontario is frack'n cold even at the height of summer and especially compared to cottage country north of the city. Lake Michigan too is a bathtub by comparison. There is more beyond the inner harbour where most water activity is illegal and the stretch of Queens Quay East that remains one of the few remaining underdeveloped vestiges of "long lost" (by Toronto standards) industry.

Problem: The city core is too far and isolated from the lake as compared to Chicago and other Great Lake cities.

Solution 1.) Bring city life closer to the lake. Too late for the Central Waterfront, still possible with the Eastern Lakeshore.

Solution 2.) Bring the lake closer to the city. Replace all the roads on the waterfront with canals. How's that for lake culture?

Wow, this project has sunk so low, even the people on it's thread are talking about other things.

I'm guessing a spring start here - right after the Christmas season and the boys at GG are confident the sky hasn't fallen.

Drilling a hole in the ground does not constitute construction. When the trucks show up and start removing dirt to make the hole bigger, then maybe. Right now
they are just stringing everyone along, and passing time while the good weather is passing them by. Something strange going on with this whole build.

bmiller, your tinfoil hat is reflecting a bit of glare....

Dagnabit, it looks like a construction site. I'm goin out to get a new foil suit, and a new hat with better reception.

Back