Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

wow don't they seem like they're in a hurry

Putting in piles doesn't happen overnight. It takes time unless you know a faster way of doing it.

Do you have a ray gun that will dissolve the earth in a flash for this project??

I don't think they were being sarcastic when they said that. To me it does look like they are in a hurry. Well, not necessarily a hurry, but they're going full force it seems. Nice to see!

I once tried to test this theory Mythbusters-style. Unfortunately I kept blinking.

hold_on.jpg

Putting in piles doesn't happen overnight. It takes time unless you know a faster way of doing it.

Do you have a ray gun that will dissolve the earth in a flash for this project??

sarcasm don't translate well on an internet forum but its identification can be assisted by putting the words into context. Take a look at the photo and you will see that there are almost twice the equippment on 1 bloor east when compared to a site of silmiar size.

sarcasm don't translate well on an internet forum but its identification can be assisted by putting the words into context. Take a look at the photo and you will see that there are almost twice the equippment on 1 bloor east when compared to a site of silmiar size.

I was not using sarcasm in my last posting, but trying to point out a lot of board members don't understand what what it takes to build a building or how it is done in the first place. A fair number are buyer of X property and only care when they can move into their new home, and want to know why it taking so long.

Just because one site has less equipment than another doesn't mean that it will go faster.

This site has to deal with subways, but most of all a river. If one looks at maps from the 1800's, you will see the number of rivers and streams ran though this area as well rest of the city. The type of soil and earth will dictate how fast a pile can be installed. Harder it is, the longer it will take.

As of Aug 31, I counted just over a dozen piles and caissons in place on both section of this property.
6101866561_e3198e6af4_b.jpg

6101866971_f24ce346c4_b.jpg

6102414168_3eea825006_b.jpg

This site has to deal with subways, but most of all a river. If one looks at maps from the 1800's, you will see the number of rivers and streams ran though this area as well rest of the city. The type of soil and earth will dictate how fast a pile can be installed. Harder it is, the longer it will take.

Please, for the last time, there is no subway under this site.

Please, for the last time, there is no subway under this site.

Boy what was I thinking at the time for saying subway when they aren't in the picture at all and I know that in the first place :mad::mad:. Could be the lateness of the night and thinking about the Yonge St southbound extension idea.

Anyway, the river/creek and streams do come into play for this site.

Anyway, the river/creek and streams do come into play for this site.

Does anyone know how they deal with underground streams/rivers? I know it's fairly common.

^^

depending on how deep the river is and the water flow.

but seeing as the entire area has been built up for many years and that the HBC tower is directly to the north of this site. I'd imagine that much of the waterflow have already been diverted away. If not, then they may have to do this.

112nvc.jpg

drum I will assume that you were tired as your response was completely out of context from my point. Being in a hurry does not mean they'll be faster than anyone else.

Last edited:
"I'm sure this site is more complicated, considering the subway lines and what not.."

The subway lines are to the east and north of the project. That should pose no problems. I can imagine that a tunnel connecting to The Bay Centre should been no problem either. They will just build it along the wall of the north/south tunnel.

But why does the TTC insist on keeping the Roy's Square entrance open? That should pose more of a problem.

Wasn"t this hole dug a while back and then refilled in 2008? They started excavation back then, should have just filled it back up with gravel.

When I was walking around Charles and Church and Jarvis the sites there had a lot of clay soil, so did U Condos. But this site was already excavated back in 2008 and filled back up. It should not be too hard or take to long before they start shipping it out. That intersection is going to be a nightmare when they soil trucks arrive.

Wasn"t this hole dug a while back and then refilled in 2008? They started excavation back then, should have just filled it back up with gravel.

I don't think so, the tops of some foundations were removed then filled in but I don't think there was any excavation started.

Back