Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

Photo courtesy Casaguy...Dec. 2010

DSCN6223.jpg
I'll believe it when I see a whole in the ground

Attachments

• DSCN6223.jpg
    DSCN6223.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 281
It's all smoke and mirrors. There is actually a building there, that is magically being disguised, only to be revealed when it peaks above the special curtain. This will all be come apparent when Jobe from
Arrested Developement makes an appearance for his big magic show, and people can begin moving in the following weekend. Unless of course, he makes it all disappear like the Bluth company yacht.

No it isn’t. This project is overrated. The only reason why it’s getting so much attention is because of where its located, and to be quite honest I would expect something much more spectacular in that area. Yes the design is great, but not iconic. Aura seems more exciting to me............Just saying.

No it isn’t. This project is overrated. The only reason why it’s getting so much attention is because of where its located, and to be quite honest I would expect something much more spectacular in that area. Yes the design is great, but not iconic. Aura seems more exciting to me............Just saying.

I agree, Aura is a lot more exciting development, and a better design for Toronto ..One Bloor belongs in Miami or even Panama City.

One Bloor belongs in Miami or even Panama City.

Interesting observation. One Bloor's undulating lines mimic a seaside aesthetic that Toronto does not currently possess; current efforts to infuse a watery feel to the city are blighted by cliche (Etobicoke waterfront being for the most part the major zone branding itself as a lakeside built environment). Can One Bloor elevate the experience of Toronto? Will it point to the forgotten, hidden, sometimes grotesque yet in fact amazing den of the city - the lake? Will it be the memorial to a city on the lake, creating the lived experience of a connection, the feeling that in Toronto one actually is in a lakeside city, a city on a great lake? Or will it merely point only to the desire of some Torontonians to sell a slick scheme? I doubt it, but I am not sure a Chicago style urbanism - represented by Aura - is Toronto's true calling either We live in a geography almost unsurpassed in the world for the number of lakes within close proximity, and the lake culture here is stultified and represents the future of Toronto.

On the other hand, I am regularly at the AGO, whose snaking staircases, winding corridors and curvaceous clear glass all swirl together in a cascade of the contemporary. Instead of gaudy, it is gracious. Rather than being ostentatious, it is open to an aesthetic that is actually experienced as 21st century, not announced. I hope One Bloor emanates some of the same characteristics, though I am not entirely hopeful.

A few shots around the north end of the site

Walkway from Yonge to the Xerox building

South end of the site

Back