568     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 790     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 534     0 

Toronto non-mall retail (Odds & Ends)

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date
Just putting it here as miscellaneous, the building at 663 Bloor St W (just east of Manning Ave) in Koreatown which has seemingly remained boarded up forever, is finally finished.

A business of some sort is setting up shop at grade level. There's a name for it when I passed by, but forgot what it was called.

20210101_160223.jpg
20210101_160246.jpg

I know that COVID has warped everyone's perceptions of time, but I was quite surprised today going to Shoppers Drug Mart to see not only was their a dedicated space for Valentine's Day stuff in one aisle, as you wold expect, on the other side of the aisle they had a full on Easter section. Easter... which is in April....

I have to go back again tonight and I will try to remember to take a photo. It's just bizarre.

Someone in Leslieville has trolled the AGCO and a neighbourhood bakery.

The bakery is under investigation for illegally selling alcohol in her food, ie. boozy fruitcake; because of a complaint.

Oh, hi, the Stasi called....they would like you to return their snitches.

And this illustrates perfectly why it is that snitches deserves stitches. :D

Just putting it here as miscellaneous, the building at 663 Bloor St W (just east of Manning Ave) in Koreatown which has seemingly remained boarded up forever, is finally finished.

A business of some sort is setting up shop at grade level. There's a name for it when I passed by, but forgot what it was called.

View attachment 293850View attachment 293851

That building is finally done!!! Oh man, I met the architect who built that at one of our sites back in late 2015. He offered us the chance to bid on this project for work that didn't end up happening and I kept an eye on it since when in the area. I remember it being comically unfinished for years now. They finally did it!!! Mazel tov!

I asked him if I could lease the residence upstairs but at the time (in 2015) he said it was already spoken for. It looked cool in the drawings for some reason I can no longer remember.

Oh, hi, the Stasi called....they would like you to return their snitches.

And this illustrates perfectly why it is that snitches deserves stitches. :D

The complaint has now been dismissed by the AGCO.

Now Toronto with a list of 22 live music venues that have closed in 2020. They also include other places that are currently in trouble, and separately other places that have reopened:

RIP The Rocket and Round

But man, venues near and dear to me have been closing since I started frequenting them.

Special RIP goes to System Soundbar and Turbo....oh man, Turbo was unique.

RIP The Rocket and Round

But man, venues near and dear to me have been closing since I started frequenting them.

Special RIP goes to System Soundbar and Turbo....oh man, Turbo was unique.

For me, it's memories of Cold Tea, the Orbit Room, and the Boat.

There's also Gate 403 on Roncy which has already been gone for a few years even before the pandemic. Man, what I wouldn't give to sit around sipping martinis to live jazz music right now...

That building is finally done!!! Oh man, I met the architect who built that at one of our sites back in late 2015. He offered us the chance to bid on this project for work that didn't end up happening and I kept an eye on it since when in the area. I remember it being comically unfinished for years now. They finally did it!!! Mazel tov!

I asked him if I could lease the residence upstairs but at the time (in 2015) he said it was already spoken for. It looked cool in the drawings for some reason I can no longer remember.

It's a neat building for sure. Mix of contemporary minimalism meets cargo shipping container aesthetics. There's a similar building on Dundas West east of Gladstone that with the same design idea and materials and has also sat unfinished for what seems like at least half a decade or so.

The new Summerhill Market grocery store at 484 Eglinton Ave W in Forest Hill is set to open this March, their fourth location in the city.

Photos posted on their IG look great so far:

I know that COVID has warped everyone's perceptions of time, but I was quite surprised today going to Shoppers Drug Mart to see not only was their a dedicated space for Valentine's Day stuff in one aisle, as you wold expect, on the other side of the aisle they had a full on Easter section. Easter... which is in April....

I have to go back again tonight and I will try to remember to take a photo. It's just bizarre.

Yep, the last however many years/decades it's been the case that as soon as one shopping season ends, the other begins immediately the next day. Sad

Maybe it'll be an opportunity ? One would hope commercial rents will drop as a result of all of this given all the closures and the likely lack of demand going forward ?

That is very optimistic of you! I hope you're right.
I don't know.....we might be stuck with bridge and beach parties....and maybe warehouses on the periphery where they still exist.

Can't say I'm going to complain about that.

A lot of venues are disappearing not because of high rents but because of pressure from the residential sector. Remember Adam Vaughan's hysterics re: night life?
That and the conversion of old buildings into residential developments.

I drove down Shaw today from Bloor down to King on my way home....drove by Revival (which reminded me that nearby Mod Club is dead RIP) and am wondering.....when's that Metro property being redeveloped? There goes Revival!

@taal Do you guys have any decent venues up in your area?

Back