987     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 631     0 

Toronto non-mall retail (Odds & Ends)

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date
Despite the presence of my ex-wife, I had many good times at the Jem. Reminded me a lot of the kind of cash-only bar you'd see in the St. Mark's Place - Alphabet City corridor (looking at you Otto's Shrunken Head).

Jersey Giant was stellar, was a regular there for many years. Always chose that place over any of the bars along the Esplanade strip *except* Scotland Yard, although just prior to COVID they no longer served Stock Ale on tap. Hope they hang in there, and The Flatiron as even though it's a Firkin, I'm a sucker for basement bars and its location in the Flatiron alone makes it unique.

I'm losing count of my regular haunts that are gone: Burgundy's (both iterations), Dukes of Richmond and Gloucester, Brass Taps, Old Nick, Overdraught, the old Markham Street spots, many others. I would be sad if the Bedford Academy closes, the bar is a nice, quiet spot and I'm old enough that I was a regular at the Ballroom back in the 90s so to lose both would be unfortunate. I still miss the Regal Beagle and the James Joyce. The Madison can be incinerated tomorrow and its absence would not be missed. It was really only good in its small, original incarnation before it grew like an amoeba and became the roofie launching point for frat assholes nearby. The Annex Residents Association must be wishing for its permanent demise.

The Imperial should be ok as I believe the family owns the building, same with Hemingway's. Not sure about the Strathcona: I knew the hospitality manager and I *think* that hotel is being used by the city as a homeless shelter. In terms of the financial district, I'm pretty sure one of the Dukes (Westminster or Devon) will be gone, hopefully the Piper's Pub in the Royal York hangs on. Beyond that we have to hope the other hotel bars will open up again as that's really all that would be left. In the west end losing the Bar With No Name was a big blow. I know the owner of The Wicket second-hand and he's hanging on by a thread apparently. Jenny's closed, then reopened, and now I'm not sure what's going on. Hopefully Loon's and The Local hang on.

I suspect a lot of Firkins are done but my old one at Yonge and Sheppard *should* be ok. I literally would have nowhere I feel like drinking in NYCC if it closes and I used to barhop from the Frog, Black Sheep, the old Keg, Congress, etc. back when I lived there. Definitely not much of a drinker's town left if these trends continue.

Last time I was at the Maddy was probably around 2 years ago. There was definitely a tired and faded feel amongst the place. It wasn't a students night so at least it wasn't too hectic in that regards. I'd say Pauper's Pub on Bloor W closer to Bathurst is a more enjoyable vibe for the old school feel, and has a nice rooftop patio in the summertime. I still miss the original Green Room location though, with the back alley entrance behind Bloor Street. That and the speakeasy feel of Cold Tea in Kensington Market before their yuppie-fication reno and eventual closure.

Admittedly, I've only been to the Imperial once. Back in my previous job, and one of my co-workers who lived in the area had us hangout there. All I remember was the seemingly endless cheap pitchers. Decent time enough in what's expected in a place that's unchanged for decades. Mick E Fynn's up at Carlton & Church was another pub in the Ryersonish area, where we had a holiday party once. Not necessarily a place to write home about but the memories hold true.

I still miss the days where I'd hangout in Cabbagetown after work around 5-6 years ago. A phase where Kingyo used to be place for a few lads and I. Maybe it was the Japanese hospitality mixed with the off/on Sapporo specials. Along with Hey Lucy's in the area for martini nights with a female friend who lived in the area.

Not as notable as Bar With No Name but "Another Bar" was a decent place in the Bloor-Ossington area. There's a bunch more bars further west on Bloor, between Dufferin and Lansdowne, although with the current landscape I do hope they hold on.

In the Junction, "Hole in the Wall" is a pretty popular place nowadays. Randomly found out that one of my old mates at a grocery store I worked at a grocery store in my high school days is/was a manager there now. Although it's a bit too loud and crowded for my liking. I'd prefer Famous Last Words on Pacific Ave, albeit being a more pricier cocktail place. Also hope that the Local on Roncy hangs on. I miss going to Gate 401 across the street for their live jazz nights. While in my area, no one really likes going up to St. Clair/Corso Italia for entertainment, but De Soto's is actually the one rare gem in the area, just east of Dufferin.

Last edited:
Gosh, you guys are so well versed in bars and pubs! Meanwhile the best I could ever manage was stomping to my local LCBO and then rolling around on the floor with my cat in a drunken stupor 😅

Mate.....stand by me and you will learn a thing or two about what to do, what not to do, what you may or may not want to do depending on the day, what you didn't know you could do, what you didn't know you wanted to do, what you wish you had known about, and so on and so forth.

Anyway, the LCBO is for stocking up on drinks for before you go out and for after you get home from being out. Everyone knows that....except you and your cat. :p

Last edited:
Jersey Giant was stellar, was a regular there for many years.
Yeah, it really was....had everything a proper pub should.

. Hope they hang in there, and The Flatiron as even though it's a Firkin, I'm a sucker for basement bars and its location in the Flatiron alone makes it unique.
Can't believe I forgot about this place. Used to sit on the patio quite a bit in summers many many years ago and lately used it mostly as a stop off on the way home after leaving the Giant. 😁

Might make it the new home....though it's not really good for watching the football. I also think it was recently closed for renovations....and that was a year ago, not sure of progress.

I suspect a lot of Firkins are done but my old one at Yonge and Sheppard *should* be ok.
That's the only regular I have left....the not-so-cozy Firkin on Harbour. It's only in my life because of the location which is attached to one of our base buildings.

Definitely not much of a drinker's town left if these trends continue.
Taking it to the streets, I guess. But, the lack of proper pubs is depressing, for sure.

I feel that....I don't have the bandwidth most days and I have nowhere near the responsibilities.

All I want at this point is to retire to a classic Alpine house in a postcard-pretty mountain town in Austria where I can ski, read books by a fireplace, do my shopping on narrow cobblestone streets, and enjoy schnitzel and beer.

All I want at this point is to retire to a classic Alpine house in a postcard-pretty mountain town in Austria where I can ski, read books by a fireplace, do my shopping on narrow cobblestone streets, and enjoy schnitzel and beer.

Will you marry me?

Or maybe you'll be wanting to marry me.....that's not far off my plans for when I turn 45. :D

Back