Toronto Murano | ?m | 45s | Lanterra | a—A

Must be paying them by the hour. Does anyone know the month when this project first started construction? I was thinking last summer or early fall?

The problem is obvious from the photo: there's only two guys working on the site. And one of them has to work the crane, leaving the other one to handle the concrete (etc) and handle the coffee runs.

If they want to pick up the pace, they should hire an intern.

I remember the sales person telling me the North tower was slated for occupancy of Fall 2007 and the South tower summer 2008. Guess that's thrown down the river

Hopefully, it's only interior demolition. Is this a protected building?

It will be integrated into the new project. There's a big rendering in the condo section of The Star that shows a big glass base around the old Addison building.

south tower officially delayed

I just got a friendly letter from Lanterra stating that my estimated occupancy date has been revised to July 2009. That's 13 months later than what they initially told me. I went by the site today in the afternoon to check on their progress. They are finally almost at street level. As usual, the site is abandoned after 5pm. I should have gone into construction instead of investment banking, they seem to keep better hours than me and there's no worry about deadlines apparently.

I also got a chance to take a look at the progress on the Burano sales office across the street. It was a beehive of activity. It appears they've diverted all construction staff from the murano site to get the model suite ready for next week's big pre-sale event (so that's where they all went!) When I walked by yesterday on my way home it was pretty much an empty void, but today the model kitchen has been partially installed and they've started moving in furniture. I think they'll be working on this 24/7 for the next few days.

It's pretty common for construction crews to be done by 4 - 4:30, but then they start at 7:30 - 8. I'd rather have banker's hours.

Murano did have water issues that probably held them back a lot. It should be, assuming no more strikes, clear sailing at this point. Can't wait to see it rise up now.

13 month change in occupancy is perfectly normal. The builder really doesn't know at the start of the process how fast sales will go, when approvals and permits will be granted and construction is a messy process. Lanterra ran into a number of problems during the excavation process that set them back a number of months. Given these delays and how much more work has to be done on the towers July 2009 sounds fairly reasonable.

Initial occupancy dates for high-rise towers are always optimistic. If you are buying a new single family home the occupancy dates are much more accurate - it is quite a bit easier to estimate timelines building a house vs an 800+ unit project with two towers and six levels of underground parking built on top of an underground river.

View of Murano Construction from Residences of College Park

578128864_57818ac43b_b.jpg

578128786_24469440f5_b.jpg

Back