Toronto Murano | ?m | 45s | Lanterra | a—A

With regards to the falling glass but isn't this really an issue with the manufacture of the glass? Aren't they the ones that people should be venting about? Unless the glass wasn't installed properly.

If two pieces of glass popped out in different parts of the building in one day after being meticulously inspected following the previous blow-outs, I'll bet it will end up being heat related. However there's still something not right here either with materials used or poor engineering.

Being an owner at Murano and know a bit about the glass end of things, this is 100 percent a glass manufacture/installation issue. The north and south towers were done by different companies, and the company that did the north tower is out of business, probably part of the problem. I dont believe any glass has fallen out of the south tower

So ... will there be a rush to list units for sale ? You know, too many listings will depress prices in these buildings. They're already kind of overpriced to begin with. Nothing like a little real estate drama to perk up the MLS.

An order issued by the city’s building division following an inspection after Thursday’s incident required the property management to “remove the glass balcony panels from the building, remove all contents from all balconies and secure all points of access to all balconies until the remediation is complete.”

Lanterra Developments said the process of replacing the glass on the north tower at 37 Grosvenor St. could take a couple of months to complete.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...lcony-glass-after-panes-fall-to-sidewalk?bn=1

Posts speculating that owners of units at Murano would be charged for replacing the glass here have been removed as they are simply not true, and it is unfair to introduce this confusion into the thread. Lanterra is footing the bill to replace the balcony glass on the north tower of Murano.

Posts speculating that owners of units at Murano would be charged for replacing the glass here have been removed as they are simply not true, and it is unfair to introduce this confusion into the thread. Lanterra is footing the bill to replace the balcony glass on the north tower of Murano.

That's just speculation though... I don't think it's fair to censor and remove people's posts to protect the developer. When did UrbanToronto get into bed with developers? (Oh wait, I remember... ;)).

That's just speculation though... I don't think it's fair to censor and remove people's posts to protect the developer. When did UrbanToronto get into bed with developers? (Oh wait, I remember... ;)).

It is not speculation. Lanterra is doing the right thing by taking responsibility for this, and is paying to have the blacony glass fixed. We are not protecting the developer. We are protecting the owners of units in Murano who have to resell them someday. To allow speculation to persist here that the unit owners will be on hook for this through either higher monthlies to recover the outlay, or on reduced resale value, would be negligent on our part. So wink all you want Spire, but don't be part of the problem.

I meant that the posts you DELETED were speculation. Are you going to start deleting any post that we eventually find to be a speculation that ultimately was factually incorrect? It just saddens me that this is turning into some sort of real estate news outlet where speculative posts are deleted. Message boards are about opinions and speculation as much as they are about fact.

So is this a message board or a news outlet?

Last edited:
Not to mention speculation in other threads has been allowed. Just look at any Cityplace thread and all of the speculation about the area turning into a ghetto. That doesn't help resale value for owners, yet it is constantly allowed. There is speculation in almost every thread, yet UT seems so keen on deleting any speculation from this one in particular. If you are going to delete speculation, quit picking and choosing which developers are worth protecting.

Well people were speculating about who was going to pay to fix the glass. I had said several times that the developer would...and that the developer had confirmed that they would. Yet people continued to speculate.

I'm not picking sides here, but I did say that the developer would foot the bill, so there was no need to go on with more speculation, mon ami :)

Well if they want, they can post clarification on the main NEWS page for the NEWS site. But they shouldn't toy with speculative posts. It's a message board.

Okay I'm done expressing my thoughts and opinions on this. Hopefully they will be considered.

With regards to the falling glass but isn't this really an issue with the manufacture of the glass? Aren't they the ones that people should be venting about? Unless the glass wasn't installed properly.
As Mies said, "the devil is in the details".
3 sides of the glass railing is supported; the 4th is not; the 4th side has a slab overlap; the overlap, when the wind blows causes the 4th side (bottom) to deflect; there is a small part of the railing anchor which, when the wind blows and the glass deflects, is tapped by the deflecting glass; when the amplitude of the wind and glass reach a critical pitch, and the glass touches the anchor, the glass shatters.
This has happened since the beginning ....... a bad detail.....

Murano today

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Back