Toronto Murano | ?m | 45s | Lanterra | a—A

As Mies said, "the devil is in the details".
3 sides of the glass railing is supported; the 4th is not; the 4th side has a slab overlap; the overlap, when the wind blows causes the 4th side (bottom) to deflect; there is a small part of the railing anchor which, when the wind blows and the glass deflects, is tapped by the deflecting glass; when the amplitude of the wind and glass reach a critical pitch, and the glass touches the anchor, the glass shatters.
This has happened since the beginning ....... a bad detail.....

Except that there was NO wind on Thursday when this happened. On the other hand, it was one of the hottest days on record. My vote is for glass not cut to specs, no gaskets and heat expansion.

murglass.jpg

Yes. Phase one. Remove divider panels between apartments for worker easy access and bolt the balcony sliding glass doors.

Phase two begins tomorrow: remove balcony glass panes. Then we can have our lobby entrance and street back.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is crazy. I'm glad they are going to just replace it all, instead of continuing the way things were. It was clearly dangerous a long time ago, and this should have been done a long time ago.

As for posts about the site becoming a news outlet... well I've seen this happen on other sites I've used that were mainly message boards.
I just hope that UT doesn't bow to the developers and do what developers say all the time or else face threats from them.
Ex: No insider information for UT if posts containing certain information are not removed. Anyway, that is off topic, but I just wanted to add that, as it is a concern for me too.

If Lanterra was calling the shots here as to what can be said in the forum don't you think all mentions of falling glass would long have been removed.

Exactly! Thank you!

I walked by here on my way home this afternoon. Grosvenor Street is still closed off, no traffic - one can't even walk east of Bay along the sidewalks which is a pretty big deal given that there is a fire station on that street next to the YMCA. I'd guess that about 50% of the time their calls require them to go west on Grosvenor, but that currently isn't possible. I suspect this area will remain closed until all the glass from the north side balconies have been removed. The first 10 residential floors have had most of the glass removed and some of the frames.

This is actually quite embarrassing. That they have to go back and remove all the balconies and the glass.....

Back