Toronto Murano | ?m | 45s | Lanterra | a—A

Yeah, i just head about it on the news... Yet ANOTHER piece falling again today!... this is not good at all...

Can someone please clarify why the glass is falling? is it the brackets (or whatever you call them) on the concrete slabs that is coming loose? or is it the glass coming out of the frame?...

This is SERIOUS stuff... I wonder what will be done... A complete overhaul of removing each panel one by one and replacing it?... WOW! I can't imagine the stress right now (economically and safety speaking)

Yeah, i just head about it on the news... Yet ANOTHER piece falling again today!... this is not good at all...

Can someone please clarify why the glass is falling? is it the brackets (or whatever you call them) on the concrete slabs that is coming loose? or is it the glass coming out of the frame?...

This is SERIOUS stuff... I wonder what will be done... A complete overhaul of removing each panel one by one and replacing it?... WOW! I can't imagine the stress right now (economically and safety speaking)

I think all the glass is falling from the North tower. The South tower seems to be fine. Regardless, this is very embarassing....they should have just removed the glass to begin with. This has been going on for a year now?

Twice in a single day... The building is probably just shedding.

Another panel fell after the 3am incident? If it fell onto Bay Street then that's not balcony glass, there are no balconies facing Bay.

Another panel fell after the 3am incident? If it fell onto Bay Street then that's not balcony glass, there are no balconies facing Bay.

The article you posted refers to the 2nd glass panel to fall today, not the 3am incident. The 3am panel is simply mentioned as having happened earlier today in that article. It even says Bay Street reopened after the 3am incident only to re-close when the 2nd panel fell.

The article you posted refers to the 2nd glass panel to fall today, not the 3am incident. The 3am panel is simply mentioned as having happened earlier today in that article. It even says Bay Street reopened after the 3am incident only to re-close when the 2nd panel fell.

OK, I just clicked on it & re-read it, it's been re-written. It must have been updated very shortly after I posted it at around 2:20 today. They even updated the number of panels that have fallen so far, earlier they said it was the 4th panel to come down so far.

Edit: The article that I linked to on the previous page has been updated yet again (at least the third time today) yet still contains some inaccurate information.

Last edited:
http://www.blogto.com/city/2011/08/lanterra_developments_under_siege_for_falling_glass/

Lanterra Developments is under siege in the wake of falling glass at their Murano Condos near Bay and College. According to the Toronto Star, last night was the fifth time glass has fallen from the building at 37 Grosvenor Street this year. The highest one was from the 35th floor and thankfully residents and passerbys have remained unscathed to date.

But that hasn't stopped real estate agents and residents from taking to Twitter to tweet their two cents about the ordeal. As the screengrabs below illustrate, there's bubbling disillusionment about the quality of work being done at Lanterra backed projects. They've yet to formally comment on the glass that fell today, but I suppose this suffices as a buyer beware warning for anyone interested in any of their current and upcoming projects.

http://www.blogto.com/city/2011/08/lanterra_developments_under_siege_for_falling_glass/

Lanterra Developments is under siege in the wake of falling glass at their Murano Condos near Bay and College. According to the Toronto Star, last night was the fifth time glass has fallen from the building at 37 Grosvenor Street this year. The highest one was from the 35th floor and thankfully residents and passerbys have remained unscathed to date.

But that hasn't stopped real estate agents and residents from taking to Twitter to tweet their two cents about the ordeal. As the screengrabs below illustrate, there's bubbling disillusionment about the quality of work being done at Lanterra backed projects. They've yet to formally comment on the glass that fell today, but I suppose this suffices as a buyer beware warning for anyone interested in any of their current and upcoming projects.

This is not good. Maybe Lanterra will stop cutting corners on their projects and actually build a quality building.

Again, the falling glass seems to be coming from the North tower and not the South one. Why is that?

There is speculation in almost every thread, yet UT seems so keen on deleting any speculation from this one in particular.

does anyone have an idea why this seems to be the case?

If you are going to delete speculation, quit picking and choosing which developers are worth protecting.

a most excellent point.

Actually, it's a ludicrous point. We are not picking and choosing any developers to protect as we are not "protecting" any of them.

Everything has already been spelled out here, but it is really amazing to me how many of you do not read what has already been written: the things you are posting questions about have already been answered.

Only three pages back in this thread - 105 - is where the recent round of falling glass started. On page 106
- the physical reason why is plausibly explained by an owner in the building
- the fact that a different supplier did the north building than the one who did the south building is stated
- the fact that that supplier has gone bankrupt is stated
- and the fact that Lanterra is paying to have this fixed is stated.

Meanwhile, we have BlogTO, and some here, continuing to conjecture about things when they simply do not need to.

A few highlights:

Being an owner at Murano and know a bit about the glass end of things, this is 100 percent a glass manufacture/installation issue. The north and south towers were done by different companies, and the company that did the north tower is out of business, probably part of the problem. I dont believe any glass has fallen out of the south tower

An order issued by the city’s building division following an inspection after Thursday’s incident required the property management to “remove the glass balcony panels from the building, remove all contents from all balconies and secure all points of access to all balconies until the remediation is complete.”

Lanterra Developments said the process of replacing the glass on the north tower at 37 Grosvenor St. could take a couple of months to complete.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...lcony-glass-after-panes-fall-to-sidewalk?bn=1

Lanterra is footing the bill to replace the balcony glass on the north tower of Murano.

As Mies said, "the devil is in the details".
3 sides of the glass railing is supported; the 4th is not; the 4th side has a slab overlap; the overlap, when the wind blows causes the 4th side (bottom) to deflect; there is a small part of the railing anchor which, when the wind blows and the glass deflects, is tapped by the deflecting glass; when the amplitude of the wind and glass reach a critical pitch, and the glass touches the anchor, the glass shatters.
This has happened since the beginning ....... a bad detail.....

As Mies said, "the devil is in the details".
3 sides of the glass railing is supported; the 4th is not; the 4th side has a slab overlap; the overlap, when the wind blows causes the 4th side (bottom) to deflect; there is a small part of the railing anchor which, when the wind blows and the glass deflects, is tapped by the deflecting glass; when the amplitude of the wind and glass reach a critical pitch, and the glass touches the anchor, the glass shatters.
This has happened since the beginning ....... a bad detail.....
Wow.

Anyone have a closeup picture?

Back