Toronto Murano | ?m | 45s | Lanterra | a—A

I'm not one to defend Lanterra's build quality....but they've built other glass buildings and I haven't heard about falling glass. Did they use a different contractor on Murano or something? This building has had nothing but issue after issue.

i'm not surprised after seeing many of their other projects ...
over promise with glitzy brochures, fancy names, sparkly presentation centres, etc,
then deliver mediocre finishes and over-charge for upgrades to give you the same look as the model suite.

i'm not surprised after seeing many of their other projects ...
over promise with glitzy brochures, fancy names, sparkly presentation centres, etc,
then deliver mediocre finishes and over-charge for upgrades to give you the same look as the model suite.

Which projects?

You're right though, I've been in a number of their projects and the level of finishes/quality is on the low end. Lanterra's fairly new (10 years old) so I'm sure they'll get better with the time. At least I hope so as the word's getting around. Probably not good for me since I own a unit in Murano. I will say though...they did a good job with my unit in terms of quality of workmanship. Only issue I had was with the paint job which is common. The materials used are a different story.

Which projects?

You're right though, I've been in a number of their projects and the level of finishes/quality is on the low end. Lanterra's fairly new (10 years old) so I'm sure they'll get better with the time. At least I hope so as the word's getting around. Probably not good for me since I own a unit in Murano. I will say though...they did a good job with my unit in terms of quality of workmanship. Only issue I had was with the paint job which is common. The materials used are a different story.

waterpark city, murano, maple leaf square res

Murano-20101204-1327.jpg

I took this photo today. Not sure if they put that structure to protect the pedestrian from the falling glasses.

~ Go Condo Toronto ~

The injury risk this building presents to pedestrians and residents is astonishing given our strict building codes, and the City has a duty of care to impose a detailed retrofit on this building. It is in the public interest to scrutinize this situation and determine if negligence is occuring.

Who hired the management company, and what pressures are they operating under? As the building is new, it is likely that the Developers are responsible for these problems, and it is in their financial interest to avoid the costs of retrofit. As management companies are placed by the Developer during construction, they really represent the Developers interests, not the owners.

If for some reason these building repairs are the owners responsibility, and as the reserve fund is small, the Board will be working overtime to avoid expenses. A large capital cost not covered by building warrantees may be passed along to owners who could face a one-time assessment reaching into the thousands. Given that many owners in Murano have rented (investors), it is fair to say they could be less motivated by safety and more by profit. Has anyone looked at this buildings certificates - does this problem show up in the Status Certificate?

That's just wasteful and irresponsible. The glass panels that are problematic should be replaced, not ones that are already properly installed.

But yeah, is someone going to have to be killed before we take this more seriously and the city takes action on this?

Surely it's not the glass, but the way it is fastened that is the problem? It's not like the glass panels are suicidal and are jumping.

A total of three pieces of balcony glass have failed in the past year. It is tempered glass so these aren't large panes falling to the ground, however covered walkways have temporarily been installed until the repairs are completed. There was obviously a problem with the engineering and installation specs of some pieces of balcony glass. Inspections and repairs to all balconies are currently being conducted by Lanterra.

That's just wasteful and irresponsible. The glass panels that are problematic should be replaced, not ones that are already properly installed.

But yeah, is someone going to have to be killed before we take this more seriously and the city takes action on this?

i was exaggerating but all i'm saying is its ridiculous and a super major safety hazard to people below and people on there balconies

Back