Toronto Massey Tower Condos | 206.95m | 60s | MOD Developments | Hariri Pontarini

Usually don't need a raft slab if the bedrock can support the tower. It's basically ballast. Keeps the tower from settling crooked and, worst case scenario, toppling over.

The signs that listed this weekends closure now say a closure for next weekend (Sept 26th/27th) so I presume that crane for Massey Tower is next weekend.

This would make use of the window of no streetcar overhead well planned.

The crane is for the St. Michael's hospital expansion, not Massey Tower.
Ya, I should have realized that, but I was half asleep when I noticed haha. It was too far south from my balcony to be Massey Tower. It does appear it's happening next weekend though.

It looks like a really (double?) thick mat foundation - aren't they supposed to be completed in one single pour?

AoD

3m deep raft here. And yes - a single pour. That will be a good one to watch

Just went into work to visit a few friends (in St Mikes). Having been off on disability for over three years, I was shocked to see so much construction in one block. We have the new tower for the hospital (I hope they move my office there!, my old office has no windows and its cramped and in the oldest part), and directly across the street from the Victoria street enterance, there's now both the Massey Hall expansion and Massey Tower, and the, one block up, a new tower at Dundas Square, a few blocks down, 88 Scott. I usually drive to work, but I'm told because of all the construction, parking is next to impossible to find, think I'll get my bike turned up, looks like I'll be needing it (I'm only a 10 minute drive away). One question, and I'm sorry if I'm repeating something already asked, how is Massey Hall and Massey Tower being build when with only one gate off Victoria Street? Are they taking turns using it, must be a logistical nightmare!

Just went into work to visit a few friends (in St Mikes). Having been off on disability for over three years, I was shocked to see so much construction in one block. We have the new tower for the hospital (I hope they move my office there!, my old office has no windows and its cramped and in the oldest part), and directly across the street from the Victoria street enterance, there's now both the Massey Hall expansion and Massey Tower, and the, one block up, a new tower at Dundas Square, a few blocks down, 88 Scott. I usually drive to work, but I'm told because of all the construction, parking is next to impossible to find, think I'll get my bike turned up, looks like I'll be needing it (I'm only a 10 minute drive away). One question, and I'm sorry if I'm repeating something already asked, how is Massey Hall and Massey Tower being build when with only one gate off Victoria Street? Are they taking turns using it, must be a logistical nightmare!

What is under construction right now are the basements for both Massey Tower and the Massey Hall addition. After both basements and the ground floors slabs are complete, construction will proceed with the 60 floors of Massey Tower and the second floor slab of the Massey Hall addition (thereby allowing future vehicular access to Massey Tower when the Massey Hall addition is under construction). No further work will proceed on Massey Hall until Massey Tower is complete in a few years time. Construction will then continue on both the Massey Hall addition and renovation/restoration of the 1894 building.

Last edited:
What is under construction right now are the basements for both Massey Tower and the Massey Hall addition. After both basements and the ground floors slabs are complete, construction will proceed with the 60 floors of Massey Tower and the first floor slab of the Massey Hall addition (thereby allowing future vehicular access to Massey Tower when the Massey Hall addition is under construction). No further work will proceed on Massey Hall until Massey Tower is complete in a few years time. Construction will then continue on both the Massey Hall addition and renovation/restoration of the 1894 building.

Is the crane coming this weekend? If so please get some photos.

The crane has arrived on Victoria Street:

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    96.8 KB · Views: 748

Back