Toronto Lower Simcoe Ramp | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto

It's amazing - built by a Chinese company as well - if we could only copy their standard of living too

It would matter to the Contract for the work - running 24/7 isn't cheap or easy or ideal. Approvals for noise by-law exemptions would have been in place, notices to affected residents sent out, extra crews scheduled, etc. We are looking at this project from the let's get it done at all costs point - when I'm suggesting it was never planned that way, and it is not being performed that way. If the motivation is "we cant have all this traffic on the Gardner" re-opening this ramp isn't going to eliminate a 7km backup in the morning (that is normal with or without this exit blocked).

This City wouldn't be great if we just completed work all the time everywhere telling everyone to suck it up and not sleep for a month straight. I don't know if you have kids, but if that work resulted in your kids being unable to sleep for all that time would you tell them to just deal with it? When the alternative is to work within the by-laws of the City.
A 7km backup isn't normal.

You work in the TTC? Part of the problem methinks.

Just now:

IMG_9967.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9967.JPG
    IMG_9967.JPG
    640 KB · Views: 279
This City wouldn't be great if we just completed work all the time everywhere telling everyone to suck it up and not sleep for a month straight. I don't know if you have kids, but if that work resulted in your kids being unable to sleep for all that time would you tell them to just deal with it? When the alternative is to work within the by-laws of the City.

Two kids (10 and 8) both of whom have lived on the second floor of a condo facing Church Street their entire lives. They/we are used to the streetcars, fire engines, police sirens, roaring motorcycles, bells of St James, the rowdy drunks leaving the bars at closing time etc. We chose this life and everything that comes with it. I have no sympathy for those people profiled in The Star article. That's not a place to expect complete quiet. Should we turn off all the city lights as well in case its too bright for them to sleep?

It would matter to the Contract for the work - running 24/7 isn't cheap or easy or ideal. Approvals for noise by-law exemptions would have been in place, notices to affected residents sent out, extra crews scheduled, etc. We are looking at this project from the let's get it done at all costs point - when I'm suggesting it was never planned that way, and it is not being performed that way. If the motivation is "we cant have all this traffic on the Gardner" re-opening this ramp isn't going to eliminate a 7km backup in the morning (that is normal with or without this exit blocked).

This is a different argument and I'd agree with doing work the most cost-effective and efficient way. If that's 24/7 so be it. If its noon to 2PM so be it.

While noise is not desirable at night, it has to be balanced against the duration of work and the public interest in getting it done as soon as possible. And then you have quotes like these that makes you roll your eyes (from the article):

AoD

I have to disagree. There needs to be a balance between the inconvenience to road users and residents in the area.

These residents are right. I've also probably never ever heard such loud construction activity and I live at King and Spadina. I don't hear it with my windows closed but I can hear it from all the way over here. I was at Harbourfront earlier today and I could feel the boardwalk shaking. Imagine living right next to this thing. Imagine how much louder it is when the city is asleep and there are no cars on the road.

I don't think it's unreasonable to put off work for 8 hours a night, even if it prolongs construction. At the very least, there's gotta be work that can be done that doesn't involve loud demolition. I've seen plasma cutters quietly cutting beams for example. Now that the area west of Lower Simcoe is clear, they can focus on building the new ramp overnight which doesn't involve loud activities. There shouldn't need to be any rush to demolish the old ramp since it doesn't interfere with the area surrounding the new ramp.

I'm not against getting ahead somewhat. But this project seemed well ahead of schedule. I guess as someone who has sleep issues I wouldn't be cavalier with other people's.
This project needs to be done as soon as possible. It's a huge ass inconvenience. Keep workin'.

May 09
Toronto needs to learn from other cities how to do 7/24 as it has to happen at times.

New York city has 7/24 going on building towers since streets aren't close off like Toronto. Various material gets delivery during the night so they can be use during the day.

Photos will follow when I get back after May 19, but all the photos for April 27 are on line.

I found out that the car on the 7th floor of the parking structure is only 1 of 6 other abandon and the police not will to remove them.

Last edited:
A 7km backup isn't normal.

You work in the TTC? Part of the problem methinks.
So when there is no construction on the Gardner and you are heading in at 8:00 a.m. on a Tuesday morning where does the back up start? If you think its not 7km (at least) then we are probably not on the same highway. I can assure you when everything is open and you get to the Lakeshore/Gardner split traffic is backed up. Has this ramp work made it worse - of course. But to suggest this closure has somehow made the world come to an end is overkill.

I'll just stick to my point - over night work (as planned) for intersections and other key areas makes sense - the whole project 24/7 is excessive.

PS: I do not work for the TTC (although they are a client)- prefer the private sector to public

So when there is no construction on the Gardner and you are heading in at 8:00 a.m. on a Tuesday morning where does the back up start? If you think its not 7km (at least) then we are probably not on the same highway. I can assure you when everything is open and you get to the Lakeshore/Gardner split traffic is backed up. Has this ramp work made it worse - of course. But to suggest this closure has somehow made the world come to an end is overkill.

My "estimate" is that has added ~15 minutes on the average commute into downtown if you stay on the Gardiner....I am a creature of habit and always take the same route by getting off at "the split" and it seams to have added about 10 minutes to that route.

So, inconvenient but not the end of the world....and, hopefully, temporary in nature.

I'll just stick to my point - over night work (as planned) for intersections and other key areas makes sense - the whole project 24/7 is excessive.

Agree....as I said earlier, I think they handled the Simcoe portion correctly.....you can't be working bringing an overhead portion crossing a street and sidewalks while people are using it....so you have to close that street down....which makes sense to do on weekends.....and so you schedule overnight work on those weekends to make sure you don't stretch into Monday.....and when the first overnight work gets you so far ahead you know you won't stretch into weekends by cancelling the second overnight....you show some consideration to the neighbours and you cancel the 2nd overnight. You balance the needs of all....they did well with this this past weekend (IMHO).

Last edited:
May 09
More up on site
Lake Shore traffic is a single lane by the site of the demo. They have removed the overhang and railing first for a section at a time.

The site for the new ramp is almost clean up to allow work to start in this area.
33732060454_c7baca3ce4_b.jpg

34412909742_91d6839e67_b.jpg

33732117234_c79141d0e8_b.jpg

33732121604_61fe5afff7_b.jpg

33732124954_69d817aa77_b.jpg

34188879470_c26c80d690_b.jpg

34188881370_515ec3efa8_b.jpg

34188885010_2bf933eccf_b.jpg

34413003222_66c32d65a8_b.jpg

34413013652_3191448dce_b.jpg

If they were serious about getting this done quickly, they would demolish both ends of the long ramp simultaneously and meet in the middle, completing the work in about half the time. As it is right now, no work is being done on the York side while the city insists that they need to work 24/7 to get this done fast.

There are other ways to minimize noise by jackhammering through the day and then clearing the debris and plasma cutting steel through the night. There's no justification for jackhammering through the night. None. The jackhammers they're using shake the boardwalk down by the lake. Imagine how that feels in a home next door. It's literally impossible for people to sleep. That's just not acceptable.

FYI: I'm not affected (I live at King and Spadina) but I walk by the area daily and hear and *feel* the demolition. It's common sense. These people are not exaggerating.

Besides, what's the rush anyway? They've cleared the area slated for the new ramp. The remaining ramp is purely cosmetic now. They can begin building the new ramp immediately and take the remaining ramp down in due time without having to jackhammer at night.

Last edited:

Back