Toronto Lower Simcoe Ramp | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto

As predicted, there is a lot "us vs them", "stop complaining that you can't sleep all night, cause I need to commute to work from my house in the burbs".
I don't want to rehash what has been said before. But here is an idea. Instead of working overnight, and keeping thousands of people awake (you know, same people who deserve to have some form of normality in their own homes in the middle of the night), try the following:
1. Demo the ramp from 3 or 2 ends at the same time. They are working from one end only. Literally, only two people taking down cement.
2. Simultaneously, starting putting new ramp up.

If both things were true, entire ramp would've been down by now without any overnight work. And most of the new ramp, would've been installed by now.
So yeah, there are numerous other ways of getting the projects done without disrupting entire neighbourhood, and keeping the traffic moving fast.

And before I get attacked, I live near Gardiner (by choice), and drive on Gardiner daily. So, I see both sides of the story. But it doesn't have to be "us vs them". Just a bit of creative thinking. I bet the reason why they are not taking down entire ramp from all 3 ends comes down to lack of man power. But that's not an excuse.

If they were serious about getting this done quickly, they would demolish both ends of the long ramp simultaneously and meet in the middle, completing the work in about half the time. As it is right now, no work is being done on the York side while the city insists that they need to work 24/7 to get this done fast.
lol just posted the same thing seconds after you:)
Clearly, there are other people who can see past their backyard

If they were serious about getting this done quickly, they would demolish both ends of the long ramp simultaneously and meet in the middle, completing the work in about half the time. As it is right now, no work is being done on the York side while the city insists that they need to work 24/7 to get this done fast.

There are other ways to minimize noise by jackhammering through the day and then clearing the debris and plasma cutting steel through the night. There's no justification for jackhammering through the night. None. The jackhammers they're using shake the boardwalk down by the lake. Imagine how that feels in a home next door. It's literally impossible for people to sleep. That's just not acceptable.

FYI: I'm not affected (I live at King and Spadina) but I walk by the area daily and hear and *feel* the demolition. It's common sense. These people are not exaggerating.

Besides, what's the rush anyway? They've cleared the area slated for the new ramp. The remaining ramp is purely cosmetic now. They can begin building the new ramp immediately and take the remaining ramp down in due time without having to jackhammer at night.

The remainder of the ramp needs to be torn down to add a new lane to Harbour to support all the traffic coming off the new ramp.

As predicted, there is a lot "us vs them", "stop complaining that you can't sleep all night, cause I need to commute to work from my house in the burbs".
I don't want to rehash what has been said before. But here is an idea. Instead of working overnight, and keeping thousands of people awake (you know, same people who deserve to have some form of normality in their own homes in the middle of the night), try the following:
1. Demo the ramp from 3 or 2 ends at the same time. They are working from one end only. Literally, only two people taking down cement.

If both things were true, entire ramp would've been down by now without any overnight work. And most of the new ramp, would've been installed by now.
So yeah, there are numerous other ways of getting the projects done without disrupting entire neighbourhood, and keeping the traffic moving fast.

And before I get attacked, I live near Gardiner (by choice), and drive on Gardiner daily. So, I see both sides of the story. But it doesn't have to be "us vs them". Just a bit of creative thinking. I bet the reason why they are not taking down entire ramp from all 3 ends comes down to lack of man power. But that's not an excuse.

LOL..............Taking the 3 ends down at the same time, what a joke when it gets to the centre. You could take the York ramp down at the same time but only where it connects to the Bay ramp, but not saving much time.

York St is going to harder to do since plate girders are there for the longer span as well for both ramp.

Its always us vs, us since not everyone is willing to accept the what is taking place in the first place.

Just think what that one jackhammer can do today when you would need at least a dozen worker with jackhammers to do the same work if it didn't exist.

I picture Wile E Coyote standing alone on a middle section of the ramp with dynamite to finish the job ...Acme Construction to the rescue

The demolition method being used makes the most sense. It may look odd to have one machine breaking concrete but it is the safest and smartest way to do it. Its a war-zone below and access to the area is very restricted with the Gardner and other buildings in the area - can't just leave a piece of equipment and workers sitting on an island. I would agree that when they reach the split at York they should bring in a second team to work on both the straight and looping section at the same time.

I picture Wile E Coyote standing alone on a middle section of the ramp with dynamite to finish the job ...Acme Construction to the rescue

The demolition method being used makes the most sense. It may look odd to have one machine breaking concrete but it is the safest and smartest way to do it. Its a war-zone below and access to the area is very restricted with the Gardner and other buildings in the area - can't just leave a piece of equipment and workers sitting on an island. I would agree that when they reach the split at York they should bring in a second team to work on both the straight and looping section at the same time.
Having 2 jackhammer going at the same time will be real noisy for the RBC workers and the local, but saves 5 days of work.

The York ramp is not a priority to remove. The priority right now is to clean the area where the new ramp will be built and to get the extra lanes open on Harbour. Adding a second machine would require a lot of coordination of the debris removal...which would slow down the Yonge ramp removal.

The York ramp removal can be done while building the ramp occurs.

The York ramp is not a priority to remove. The priority right now is to clean the area where the new ramp will be built and to get the extra lanes open on Harbour. Adding a second machine would require a lot of coordination of the debris removal...which would slow down the Yonge ramp removal.

The York ramp removal can be done while building the ramp occurs.

Getting the ramp remove up to York St is #1, as it allows the building of the new lanes on Harbour St, since this requires more work than east of York. Even if the ramp still exist, it doesn't stop work building the new off ramp, since will be the lion share of work for rebuilding the whole project.

York ramp could be the last to come down. The section between it and the joint connection for the two ramps will have to be remove first to allow all of the Harbour ramp to be remove.

So the most westerly bents in this picture (from @Razz above) are new, right? Anyone have a sense of how many more new ones additional to these that have have to be constructed? I'm having a hard time placing at which point in relation to the parking garage the new ramp will meet grade.

IMG_8330_zpsztvvwml7.jpg

Back