Toronto Lower Simcoe Ramp | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto

So the most westerly bents in this picture (from @Razz above) are new, right? Anyone have a sense of how many more new ones additional to these that have have to be constructed? I'm having a hard time placing at which point in relation to the parking garage the new ramp will meet grade.

Won't the new ramp end before the parking garage? ie, at Simcoe?

So the most westerly bents in this picture (from @Razz above) are new, right? Anyone have a sense of how many more new ones additional to these that have have to be constructed? I'm having a hard time placing at which point in relation to the parking garage the new ramp will meet grade.

It will hit the ground right before Simcoe Street:

25155-87577.jpg

(UT/DTAH/City of Toronto)

AoD

Cllr Cressy announced that they won't need to do any overnight work to take down the section over York. They're well ahead of schedule on the whole demolition.

Did they change the demo method ?

No. They start demolishing a new section by removing the guardrails first. They make saw cuts through the concrete and rebar next to the guardrails, then the backhoe lifts the cut section off the ramp. After that, they jackhammer directly into the roadbed and let the concrete fall to the ground below.

No. They start demolishing a new section by removing the guardrails first. They make saw cuts through the concrete and rebar next to the guardrails, then the backhoe lifts the cut section off the ramp. After that, they jackhammer directly into the roadbed and let the concrete fall to the ground below.
And by Jack Hammer, you mean Hoe Ram. The third common tool is the chipping hammer, which is used in the immediate vicinity when steel beams and rebar is to be retained.

jd200exhoe_excavator_web.jpg
23478.jpg
c00081.55b6a3334ded0.jpg

I wonder what those dangling catchbasins are made of, and if they cared if one went missing. Since I was a kid I though they looked a bit funny.

If they were serious about getting this done quickly, they would demolish both ends of the long ramp simultaneously and meet in the middle, completing the work in about half the time. As it is right now, no work is being done on the York side while the city insists that they need to work 24/7 to get this done fast.
I don't think they are in a massive rush to get the whole thing down. Surely the only critical path, is the ramp (or former ramp at this point!) from where it leaves the Gardiner near Rees Street to near Simcoe. Once they get that all out of the way, they can start building the new ramp. Meanwhile, they can take their sweet time disposing of the rest of the structure, in the most economical way - which probably isn't overnight. Though say this without having looked at the plans - though I can't imagine that even if something is to be built where the ramp was east of Simcoe, that it require as much time as the new ramp.

No. They stopped just before York. Work is scheduled to demolish the ramp over the street next weekend so they're in an unusual situation of having to stop working because they have to wait for the weekend to close York St. They still have steel supports and bents to take down but the hoe ram was parked all day today.

It's hard to judge how much space we would reclaim if we took down the Gardiner by looking at it in place but it becomes so clear once parts of it come down. This picture really puts that into perspective. This was just a two lane ramp. Look at how much space it took up.

It's a crying shame that politics are overriding facts. Taking down the Gardiner past Jarvis seems so palpable now that we can see how it would be done. The amount of space that would be reclaimed by removing the on and off ramps alone is extraordinary.

It's a crying shame that politics are overriding facts. Taking down the Gardiner past Jarvis seems so palpable now that we can see how it would be done. The amount of space that would be reclaimed by removing the on and off ramps alone is extraordinary.
True - though given that section is currently an 8-lane structure, and will be replaced by a 4-lane structure much close to the rail tracks (at least east of Cherry), there are still going to be come major gains.

Back