Toronto Lower Simcoe Ramp | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto

Actually TBH Eglinton LRT should have gone 24/7 if possible - it wouldn't have dragged out into an 8 year project.

AoD
It sounds great when we think about it - shaving years off the project - but over night work is only really useful in some applications. If not for the noise, over night removal of the off ramp by a second (or likely 3rd) crew would speed things up a lot. But, during reconstruction you may not have the skilled labour and supervision to run a project continuously. Its harder to get material at night and the work can be more dangerous depending on the activity.

... little off topic i guess

North America is the only place on earth where public projects take so long. Why? Everywhere else the government tells you tough shit.

They don't necessarily say it's tough shit - there is usually some attempt to ameliorate but that's within the decision to go 24/7.

It sounds great when we think about it - shaving years off the project - but over night work is only really useful in some applications. If not for the noise, over night removal of the off ramp by a second (or likely 3rd) crew would speed things up a lot. But, during reconstruction you may not have the skilled labour and supervision to run a project continuously. Its harder to get material at night and the work can be more dangerous depending on the activity.

... little off topic i guess

Don't disagree but that's for consortium to figure out how they would best go about doing it. The main point is that we can't sway left and right to avoid negative impacts.

AoD

They don't necessarily say it's tough shit - there is usually some attempt to ameliorate but that's within the decision to go 24/7.

AoD
NB: I'm in Serbia right now - a massive bridge over the Danube was completed post haste. This is a bloody banana republic yet they can build a 1.5 km bridge and 23 km of access roads through Belgrade over the wide Danube in less than 3 years... amazing isn't it.

NB: I'm in Serbia right now - a massive bridge over the Danube was completed post haste. This is a bloody banana republic yet they can build a 1.5 km bridge and 23 km of access roads through Belgrade over the wide Danube in less than 3 years... amazing isn't it.

Democracy is 90% inefficient, but it's the best system we got. The question is how do we balance community concerns with the need to be more efficient.

AoD

Democracy is 90% inefficient, but it's the best system we got. The question is how do we balance community concerns with the need to be more efficient.

AoD
It's a North American problem. All of 'democratic' Europe builds infrastructure at incredibly pace.

I'm not even going to get into autocratic countries like China. They're even faster.

It's a North American problem. All of 'democratic' Europe builds infrastructure at incredibly pace.

I'm not even going to get into autocratic countries like China. They're even faster.

True - but living in close quarters tend to give people a different perspective on how things ought to be done. North America has a fairly "special" brand of individualism that can be borderline destructive at times.

AoD

True - but living in close quarters tend to give people a different perspective on how things ought to be done. North America has a fairly "special" brand of individualism that can be borderline destructive at times.

AoD
Which perfectly ties back to the snowflakes complaining of overnight noise over the weekend while accelerating the job will benefit hundreds of thousands.

I live right next to the Gardiner in this area. While I was out of town this past weekend, I have been periodically working from home while they're doing the work during the day. The noise isn't that bad. Sure, if I'm outside or have my windows wide open it's very loud, but inside my unit with the windows closed it's not enough noise to break my concentration. I don't understand where these complaints are coming from. Maybe it's louder on the north side, or maybe others are living in buildings with really crappy construction when it comes to noise isolation/insulation.

Actually TBH Eglinton LRT should have gone 24/7 if possible - it wouldn't have dragged out into an 8 year project. In this particular instance I think there was only one bidder because of the specific manpower demands.

AoD

A large portion of the Eglinton LRT work is being doing 24/7 where possible. This is nothing new.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Take a look at google maps to see what the Gardiner looks like every morning westbound. And Lakeshore for that matter.

Baseless assertion? Lol
This is ramp demolition. If the ramp reconstruction materials and workers are ready to go immediately on completion - great. If they are not going to be ready until the original project schedule booked for, then needless aggravation of residents and no change to projected opening day.

Was that work for an intersection in which the schedule was designed to be condensed? Track replacement work and ramp demolition work are not the same - a lot of the noise you hear from the ramp demolition work is the concrete falling to the ground below.

I don't know and why does it matter? It was loud and it happened for a few weeks. We heard it and we lived to tell the tale. I'd be unhappy if it was happening every day but once in a while is something I have no problem dealing with considering where I chose to live.

AoD
It's amazing - built by a Chinese company as well - if we could only copy their standard of living too
I don't know and why does it matter? It was loud and it happened for a few weeks. We heard it and we lived to tell the tale. I'd be unhappy if it was happening every day but once in a while is something I have no problem dealing with considering where I chose to live.
It would matter to the Contract for the work - running 24/7 isn't cheap or easy or ideal. Approvals for noise by-law exemptions would have been in place, notices to affected residents sent out, extra crews scheduled, etc. We are looking at this project from the let's get it done at all costs point - when I'm suggesting it was never planned that way, and it is not being performed that way. If the motivation is "we cant have all this traffic on the Gardner" re-opening this ramp isn't going to eliminate a 7km backup in the morning (that is normal with or without this exit blocked).

This City wouldn't be great if we just completed work all the time everywhere telling everyone to suck it up and not sleep for a month straight. I don't know if you have kids, but if that work resulted in your kids being unable to sleep for all that time would you tell them to just deal with it? When the alternative is to work within the by-laws of the City.

Back