Toronto Leslie Barns | ?m | ?s | TTC | SAI

I ventured down to the Barns today to see the hoopla for myself, and it was worse than I could imagine. Not only it's ugly, but also much taller than I expected. The concrete part alone is taller than myself. What's the point of designing an attractive building if it's gonna be hidden behind this Fort Knox of a highway barrier?

16236828249_4221efdd31_b.jpg

16235404918_d6b813caf6_b.jpg

Here's the lovely view from the north side of Lakeshore & Leslie.

15800556924_b10083aa17_b.jpg

Recall that is is what was promised. If they don't deliver, somebody's head will roll.

15800557604_09ca2d46da_b.jpg

Meanwhile, the Leslie street connecting tracks are still a work in progress.

16397086696_86002417b0_b.jpg

16397086286_85e9ceb2e3_b.jpg

16397085966_47d4ed79a9_b.jpg

16236825509_427d9e4c36_b.jpg

16237156237_c262443b51_b.jpg

16423045405_b41f97be41_b.jpg

All they have to do is to put up those red panels on the concrete to get what's in the rendering. However, the viewing windows are noticeably smaller than in the rendering. Right now it looks nasty, but it might look decent in the end.

I ventured down to the Barns today to see the hoopla for myself, and it was worse than I could imagine. Not only it's ugly, but also much taller than I expected. The concrete part alone is taller than myself. What's the point of designing an attractive building if it's gonna be hidden behind this Fort Knox of a highway barrier?

16236828249_4221efdd31_b.jpg

Never been to a a construction site before the landscaping was done, have you? That is bare earth. They'll still need to grade it, lay down top soil, grass sod, and other plants. That should add about 15 to 30 cm to the ground level.

Judging by my second photo, I think they hold the streetcar wires.
They are taller than one would expect to support the overhead as well the light mast.

They have looked out of place since they first went up.

Some shots from Jan 22
16349879626_a54d7bcd73_b.jpg

16189976047_a0c91f880e_b.jpg

16188478850_66dbd78c13_b.jpg

15755854673_07d928855e_b.jpg

Never been to a a construction site before the landscaping was done, have you? That is bare earth. They'll still need to grade it, lay down top soil, grass sod, and other plants. That should add about 15 to 30 cm to the ground level.

It's still pretty damn tall. Just look at the rendering.

Having lived on that first street immediately north of Roncy (Marion St) for four years, I feel qualified to state - having a fortress-quality sound wall around a streetcar barn is a good thing. Can't say what would have made this wall nicer, but if they choose the right quick-growing vegetation for it, the worst will be over in a couple of years.

The transit fans will bemoan the lack of a view of the cars, but no one else will ;-)

- Paul

Having lived on that first street immediately north of Roncy (Marion St) for four years, I feel qualified to state - having a fortress-quality sound wall around a streetcar barn is a good thing. Can't say what would have made this wall nicer, but if they choose the right quick-growing vegetation for it, the worst will be over in a couple of years.

The transit fans will bemoan the lack of a view of the cars, but no one else will ;-)

- Paul

It's worth noting that the TTC and the City are in the process of erecting a sound barrier wall at the Roncesvales streetcar barns too. I think due to neighbourhood complaints.

How will grading the earth, put the extra windows in the barrier that were in the plan?

- having a fortress-quality sound wall around a streetcar barn is a good thing.
In an industrial area with no residential nearby?

Perhaps the added height has more to do with the sewage treatment plant and legislation concerning the stank? Prior to the barn facility the earthen berm was pretty tall...seemingly of a similar height as this wall.

having a fortress-quality sound wall around a streetcar barn is a good thing.

If they'd built the barn right up against the lakeshore with the track in behind (opposite of what they did), the building would have made a much better sound barrier.

Looks like a blank canvass for street art. Would love to see something like this http://www.blogto.com/arts/2012/08/how_canadas_largest_graffiti_mural_came_to_parkdale/

I don't think anyone will say anything about this beyond transit geeks wanting to look right into he buildings.

Even those who aren't transit geeks should agree that being able to view an operating streetcar yard adds more visual interest to the urban landscape than a wall.

Back