Toronto Leslie Barns | ?m | ?s | TTC | SAI

Even those who aren't transit geeks should agree that being able to view an operating streetcar yard adds more visual interest to the urban landscape than a wall.

You never know with the 'my tax dollars!' crowd, though. Sometimes it's 'We don't even get to see inside?', other times (such as with a more open yard like Connaught) it might be 'Eww, why do we have to look at them?'.

The yard and the building will be interesting and unique places in the city. People should be able to see this stuff--it makes the city more interesting. They should have used clear or coloured glass noise walls like Metrolinx is doing with the Georgetown corridor project.

In the 1970s, planners encouraged factories to have large windows so people passing by could see the interesting spaces that are production lines. Some did to great effect. Few such factories are still standing, but if you step inside the Dimpflmeier bakery on Advance Road, you can see the bakery's production line behind glass from the store.

Last edited:
Good question. It's a huge eyesore. And a huge target for vanadals.

Must keep the vandals from sacking Rome, I mean Toronto.

455-5_975085j.jpg

Attachments

• 455-5_975085j.jpg
    455-5_975085j.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 1,007
Confirming the point stated above, if no one lives down there, why do they need the Great Wall of China around it?

To be fair, residential begins at Leslie and eastern and continues west, so sort of close to it. (I'd guesstimate around 300M away from looking a google) Maybe it was local nimby's that wanted the sound barrier in this case?

I'd have much preferred a tall rod iron fence or something similar as well. Keeps the vandals out but you can look at the building and all the streetcars as well.

The TTC are also erecting acoustical wall at THE Roncys Barns. This from their website:

TTC will be constructing an acoustic wall at the north perimeter of the Roncesvalles Streetcar Facility as well as a section along Sunnyside Avenue. The 7.5m wall is being constructed in response to a request by the Ministry of the Environment to mitigate for noise emissions from the facility.
In consultation with the community, TTC incorporated transparent panels on the upper sections of the wall. The panels improve the aesthetics of the wall, allow more natural light onto the adjacent properties and also function as a sound barrier.
Work will commence from the easterly section of the property and progress towards Sunnyside Avenue. The work will involve auguring holes to install caisson foundations which will ultimately support the acoustic wall. The majority of work is scheduled to occur during the day, however there may be occasions for evening and weekend work. The contractor must request permission to work beyond regular hours.

Large sound walls are pretty unsightly anywhere, see the uproar about the sound wall along the UPX corridor that Metrolinx wanted to install.

When I lived in Brampton, I had a friend who's house will adjacent to a major arterial and he had a noise wall in his backyard. Kept the road noise down, but it was really unappealing to look at from inside the house.
Give me a wood fence anyday, even if it means more noise.

How will grading the earth, put the extra windows in the barrier that were in the plan?

In an industrial area with no residential nearby?

The sounds of streetcars on corners and passing through special work carry far away in the middle fo the night. I once spent the night in a house on MacLean Avenue, just north of Queen, and all night you could clearly hear every car turning at Neville Loop, eight blocks away.

I could always hear the 506 turning at my place deep in Cabbagetown.

Back