Toronto Leslie Barns | ?m | ?s | TTC | SAI

When I lived in Brampton, I had a friend who's house will adjacent to a major arterial and he had a noise wall in his backyard. Kept the road noise down, but it was really unappealing to look at from inside the house.
Give me a wood fence anyday, even if it means more noise.

Cover the noise wall with a wood fence :).

This is posted on the Project website: http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Projects/Leslie_Barns/news.jsp

What’s next on Leslie Street?

Leslie Street underwent significant upgrades in 2014 and early 2015. Remaining work in 2015 will include:
•Final watermain, sewer and utility upgrades and connections
•Overhead pole installation
•Track installation on Leslie Street from south of Queen Street to just north of Eastern Avenue, and from the south side of Lake Shore Boulevard to Commissioners Street
•Streetscaping upgrades from Queen Street to Commissioners

Frequently Asked Questions

When is Leslie Street (roadway) construction scheduled for completion?
Pending weather, the projected completion date for Leslie Street roadway-specific construction is Summer 2015, to be followed by landscape upgrades and plantings in the Fall.

Why is a noise prevention wall required around the Leslie Barns?
The wall is needed to meet Ministry of the Environment noise limits. It is not yet complete and will include both red patterned panels and greenery.

When will the final landscaping and red wall treatment around the Leslie Barns be completed?
The landscaping around the Barns and the red wall are scheduled to commence in Fall, 2015. The land outside the wall will be raised in areas from its current level and will include hundreds of plantings and trees. There is heavy construction remaining before the wall is completed.

Last Saturday:

Leslie.jpg

Attachments

• Leslie.jpg
    Leslie.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,041
This is something we all learned in shop class - I guess the contractor has never been to shop class.

Unless they were given wrong information; which is not beyond the realm of possibility.

Mistakes happen. Especially with measurements. Anyone taking the high ground or repeating measure twice mantras has obviously never built anything for a living.

Sure, it sucks. But it's almost unavoidable. People here need to have some perspective. Client quality inspectors (in this case TTC) can't inspect everything. Contractor supervisors can't inspect every single measurement that their layout crew sets out. What's important is whether or not this is a frequently occurring issue with this specific contractor. If it's not, then they'll pay the penalty and we all move on.

Last edited:
It's a small (but painful) glitch in the scheme of things, but it brings home a very important point. Up until the past couple of years, there hasn't been a lot of transit construction work performed in this province. Now we have an explosion of projects.

There just aren't that many experienced contractors out there that can handle this stuff. Even the bigger name contractors havent done that much rail work...some were only doing small industrial sidings and such until just a couple years ago.

Earlier this year I was watching the guys laying track for the UPX line. They were clearly novices - even handling a spike maul takes skill, and they weren't there yet.

This latest issue does sound like a rookie mistake. But there will be a lot of rookies out there as we simultaneously build all these lines. It will take a lot of vigilance to catch all these booboos. As this example shows, even minor errors may cause rework or affect schedules. these projects need really god quality processes.

- Paul

Surprised it doesn't happen more often. Given how much track that's been laid in Toronto in the last 10-15 years, I'm surprised we haven't heard of this happening before.

Still, I have to wonder ... you wouldn't even install a curb or sidewalk by just doing the two ends. Not sure why one would think you'd do track that way ... unless you only ever do sewers. Not sure we've had all the detail. A much simpler monument error sounds more likely ...

Back