Toronto Leslie Barns | ?m | ?s | TTC | SAI

So all of the renderings for this project were a complete waste. The entire facility is surrounded by a giant ugly noise wall. You cant even see it from the street!

This facility was a huge missed opportunity. The 'barn' should have been against the lakeshore with huge picture windows so people on the trail could look in and see the streetcars. It would have looked great at night. Instead, this looks like a prison.

Definitely not temporary... especially since the walls are also holding up all of the overhead wires.
It's shame ... driving past, it really looks rather unpleasant. I'd have though tall brick columns and metal work would have looked a lot better and been a lot less likely to be vanadalized (my gosh, what's going to happen with these!). I don't see that there's any need to worry about noise - there's no residents nearby.

It's shame ... driving past, it really looks rather unpleasant. I'd have though tall brick columns and metal work would have looked a lot better and been a lot less likely to be vanadalized (my gosh, what's going to happen with these!). I don't see that there's any need to worry about noise - there's no residents nearby.

At the very least, the walls could have been a better colour than the hideous brown they have selected. White or silver panels, with clear red panels mixed in would have looked way better, matched the design of the barn itself, and provided some sightlines into the complex. Instead, we are stuck with walls that look worse than most of the noise walls you see along highways.

Why spend all that money on a decent design for a utilitarian building, only to cover it up with walls along the perimeter of the property? It could have just been a basic metal box, or a pre-fab building in that case and the extra money could have been spent on something else.

Last edited:
wow, i'm actually STUNNED and REALLY disappointed those walls are not temporary. They are an eye sore to look at. Tuscani01 is right, why waste money designing and building a nice looking building if only the workers are going to see it.

I hope the graffiti is rampant on those walls. Even that will look better than how it is.

What a shame.

The bad news is that they will be starting with twigs or sticks of trees. If dwarf trees, that means very slow growing. If regular trees, they'll mature faster. In ether case, within the first ten years there will be very little shade provided.

The CLC minutes from December say:

The final wall will have colourful decorative panels designed by Brown and Storey Architects, with viewing panels. The entire area will be landscaped around it.
The wall is a sound barrier and a Ministry of Environment requirement to ensure the facility meets noise limits.

Back