L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
If the sign has been there for 10 years, doesn't that make it de facto permanent, even if it looks temporary? :)
They have to do major work on the west walls of Sony Centre so I assume that is why it is still not permanent. By the time they can do something proper Sony will have moved on and we will have the Rob & Doug Ford Memorial Centre or some such!

Big Daddy

Member Bio
Reaction score
That article is a perfect snapshot of the incompetence responsible for this fiasco. The crane was to come down a month after August 2015? Then in November 2015?

Then the developer asks tenants to 'please be patient,' but doesn't elaborate why it has broken numerous deadlines?

Feel badly for those living there.

I think they have discovered that for some reason, the construction crew built it into the main structure and now the crane is holding up the tower! Removal will be tricky.

btw

Shouldn't this tower be renamed? It's clearly not an "L".

How about the "cobra" tower?

renvel

Member Bio
Reaction score
They have to do major work on the west walls of Sony Centre so I assume that is why it is still not permanent. By the time they can do something proper Sony will have moved on and we will have the Rob & Doug Ford Memorial Centre or some such!
Thank you for the through explanation.

Razz

Member Bio
Reaction score
Am I missing something? I always presumed the "L" in L-Tower was for "Liebskind" and had nothing whatsoever to do with the boot and the tower forming a "L-shape" - that was just a convenient coincidence. Starchitects have egos like eveyone else, maybe more so. It seemed pretty obvious to me why the tower was named what it was.

NBGtect

Member Bio
Reaction score
Am I missing something? I always presumed the "L" in L-Tower was for "Liebskind" and had nothing whatsoever to do with the boot and the tower forming a "L-shape" - that was just a convenient coincidence. Starchitects have egos like eveyone else, maybe more so. It seemed pretty obvious to me why the tower was named what it was.

It's the other way around. It was a convenient coincidence that the L in L Tower stood for Liebskind. It was originally named primarily because it was supposed to look like an "L" shape.

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
It looks like the L in the words looks and like in this post, and in the words primarily, look, and like in your post, @NGBtect.

Anyway, I'm sure it was the L Tower for both the shape and the architect, not just one or the other; the sum as a result of the parts.

ptbotmpfn

Member Bio
Reaction score
Iether way the next building (160 front street) is a similar design hopefully they think of a way to dissassemble the damn crane. This is a really big problem, and has created quite the odd eye sore. And the next bad storm we get with extreme winds I really worry what could happen there. Only a matter of time unless that is what they are waiting for... to just rought it's self off. LOL

maestro

Member Bio
Reaction score
Iether way the next building (160 front street) is a similar design hopefully they think of a way to dissassemble the damn crane. This is a really big problem, and has created quite the odd eye sore. And the next bad storm we get with extreme winds I really worry what could happen there. Only a matter of time unless that is what they are waiting for... to just rought it's self off. LOL

Disassembling the crane is not an issue. They still need the crane. I wonder if this would have been accomplished with a heavy lift helicopter pre 9/11. Must of lost a ton on crane rental and purchase, the various derricks plus , the vacant crane suites. Building is fully registered for nearly a year now.

adHominem

Member Bio
Reaction score
As much as I like the look of this building on the skyline and think it's quite successful as a large-scale sculptural object: I had the chance to spend a fair amount of time hanging around out front of it last night, waiting for the Prince show at the Sony Centre to let in, and I was genuinely surprised at the negative impression I had. The whole Yonge streetwall is a write-off, but I was most struck by how poor the fit & finish felt, and how the lobby (incomplete though it may be) felt, for lack of a better word, cheap.

Prince, on the other hand, was a delight. That little man is a god damn treasure.