Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

Wow, I'm very relieved to see how they're going to handle the window BMU crane. My cynicism in that regard was the only thing keeping me from really getting excited about this tower.

it's really great they're going to keep the curved form of the building. it didn't work out as well on ritz carlton but L tower people are obviously doing their homework. Great job on the info Udo.

Lightshow

Sun rays reflecting off the golden Royal Bank Plaza facade on a foggy October 25 morning:

8190797693_2ab1546529_b.jpg

Courtesy of MPC, construction worker at the L Tower.

that got to be my favorite building in Toronto. i hate the color gold but love it on this one. its to more in that style aren't made.

it's really great they're going to keep the curved form of the building. it didn't work out as well on ritz carlton but L tower people are obviously doing their homework. Great job on the info Udo.

Ya, and considering Ritz-Carlton is a 5 star hotel, you would think they would have spent the money to make sure it retained it's sleekness.

I asked Studio Daniel Libeskind if they could help us visualize how the building maintenance unit will be hidden from view when not in use. Here are the pictures they sent and allowed me to post under the premise of emphasizing that these are still design studies.

The first two are from a very old physical study model which established the idea of the slot just below the ridge. The third one is a more recent screen capture of the 3-d computer model. It’s not the final crane design, but it is close. You can see how it tucks down and out of the way. You would be able to see it of course if you were in another tall building because the slot is open, but it does not compromise the curvature or the peak/ridge line. It’s a big thing and Studio Libeskind has apparently gone to some pretty great lengths to make sure it works with the form.

Click on the pictures if you want to see them bigger.

sweet! wow does the final curve look sharp! thanks for posting those.

Photo Montage

With increasing height the L Tower has gained more and more popularity, and the number of interesting pictures posted on the UrbanToronto construction forum is a good indication of how attractive the L Tower has become. I find it amazing how people always seem to find yet another angle, viewpoint, or different light to capture this skyscraper under construction in a beautiful and unique way. The last month has been a flurry of activity and almost like a competition on who can take the best picture. The best to me is not any individual picture, but the sum of them all and I have tried to express this thought through yet another slideshow. I hope that "stevedominick", "someMidTowner", "SkyJacked" (with some pictures not posted before), "Razz", "Jasonzed", "cityzen", and "asmegin" don't mind that I have recycled their fantastic photos in this video. On the other hand I do apologize if I have not included some other wonderful pictures I really liked, but which did not offer me with enough resolution to put in this 1920 pixel wide HD video.

[video=vimeo;53752578]http://vimeo.com/53752578[/video]

Please allow me to add a quote of architect Daniel Libeskind, which was handed out at the topping off celebration and which makes me appreciate even more in what a wonderful city and country we live in.

"Sculptural in form, the L Tower adds a new 21st century icon to the dramatic skyline of Toronto. The building is uniquely shaped by the site and by the quality of light and atmosphere of its location. Together with the Sony Centre, the L Tower celebrates an exciting new sense of place in a diverse and vibrant urban context. "

Music by Thirteen Senses: "Into The Fire".
HD/Fullscreen versions at YouTube and Vimeo

Last edited:
Wow - no wonder - thanks Skyjacked!

And thank you udo for all the graphic fun!

Not only sunrise pics... (You can find a faint Rochester NY in this one)

20121115_064556.jpg

CN Tower pics are filling up my phone as well.

20121102_071828.jpg

Back