Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

Cladding on south side

86289f13.jpg

64f8526e.jpg

i'm glad you're at peace. It's interesting how much angst this one building has caused so many people. I guess the whole boot thing was kind of controversial, like a big foot stomping on the city. based on the cladding so far, it's apparent to me that L will have a pretty significant impact. the blue seems to be quite intense in some light and very muted in others.

the next big feature to look out for (aside from the curve and the big strip along each north side, will be the angled (and pointed) electrical top. should be quite nice

This building will be a success. I've loved and hated it so many times, back and forth, but I'm finally at peace.

The blue will be a nice touch on the skyline. We've now got major skyscrapers that are blue, red (Scotia), white (FCP), black (TD), silver (Commerce), gold (RBC). Not to mention all the green condos around town, but I hate those.

Does anybody know if this building will have any night lighting? I would think the roof would be lit at night, much like RBC Centre has that lantern. I hope so because this tower will be much too attractive, to just hide in the dark.

Given that the architectural motif consists of white sporadic bands moving up the entire facade, I would personally hate to see the top randomly lit up as its own feature. Lighting should compliment the architecture, not be a jarring addition that is separately thought out.

Ankor Engineering Systems is the Toronto firm working on the solution to the problem. They responded to my inquiry as follows:

"We have been working on a special solution for this project. The system is still in a design stage but our concept is to have the swing stage "hug" the exterior wall via guide rails. Unfortunately I am not able to disclose our design technique at this time."

They also promised to share some sketches of their design with us as things progress.

Good enough for me :) thanks for the info

Given that the architectural motif consists of white sporadic bands moving up the entire facade, I would personally hate to see the top randomly lit up as its own feature. Lighting should compliment the architecture, not be a jarring addition that is separately thought out.

I totally agree. There will be no way to miss L-Tower when it's up and gleaming in natural moon-light. Although I would not be opposed to subtle LED accent lighting along the whole building as long as it can be directed away from the condo windows somehow. But I don't thing that this building will need it.

It is quite remarkable how the main design concept that was created so many years ago, will still probable be the most artistic condominium building in downtown Toronto to date, which I believe will continue to inspire other new condo and office towers to follow suit.

Time for Toronto to shine on the world stage.

Thanks to everyone for the great photo updates.

I'm suprised nothing is proposed for the lot beside the hotel.

Give it time and one will be proposed for it.

Gardiner

While grocery shopping on Sunday ...

7396724726_4425708726_c.jpg

Please note the L-Tower crane. They added 3 more mast sections over the weekend. There are now 27 of them, around 6 meters each (I am guessing), which makes the crane height right now something like 162 meters (without the luffing jib)!

7387159282_15b2757ea5_z.jpg

Last edited:
The shape of this thing looks amazing from Queens Quay and York Street... if anyone is down in the area taking pics, it would make for a great pic of the slant and curve. *wink wink*

Back